Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am super frustrated & feeling like a failure :( Every day people ask me "so how much have u lost now?" & I tell them oh I' ve kinda stalled :( I think I need to pay closer attn to my portions & actually weigh my food. I must be under estimating my calories b/c according to my journel & body bugg I always have a signifigant cal deficit. I need to break back out of the fast food habit to... Such a hard one to break! Just feeling really down today...

Sorry you are feeling down. Fast food was a real dowfall for me too. I was pretty good at not buying junk at the store, but would go out for fast food instead of eating the healthy stuff I bought. I find since I haven't had it in so long, I don't miss it very much. I would just go cold turkey and break the habit. Just tell yourself fast food is not an option for you. That's what I did anyway. Also, are you excersising? It has so many benefits, just one being weight loss. It's tough to start, but it will become a matter of routine. It took me about 4 months post op to hit the gym. Now I go about 5 days a week. Good luck, you can do it!

Fast food can be a trigger for me. Even if I'm very careful about watching the calories, one trip soon turns into 4 trips and I'm back to craving fatty, salty foods. So I avoid it to the best of my ability.

Maybe it's time for a meeting with the support staff, like the dietician, at your surgeon's office? Sometimes I new set of eyes and a different voice to give us "the talk" about compliance is what we need.

If you're journaling your calories honestly, the problem might be that you're not taking enough calories. I had a few plateaus where my body just stalled on weight loss, and I'd up my calories for a day (I do not recommend doing this frequently!! Maybe once a quarter, at most!) ... er, by eating some ice cream. Then, the next day, I'd go back to my normal good program, and it actually seemed to jumpstart me a bit. That said, if the issue is just that you're eating more than you are writing down, this will not work for you! :)

Another thing that stalled me a lot was when I started exercising seriously. Muscle weighs more than fat, so as I was building muscle, the scale just stayed still -- despite that I was doing a really hard core boot camp workout. That was really frustrating. However, fortunately, I kept my measurements through this whole process, so I was able to at least see that I was losing inches, if not pounds, during that time.

I hope that helps! Hang in there! You are doing really well with 25+ pounds down already! :)

Best wishes,

Catherine

Don't get frustrated, I was stuck at 135 for months but the past month I have switched from using the treadmill all the time to doing the elliptical and treadmill, also I am walking with my kids at night and doing some exercise programs on tv to get a little extra in. I finally am 129 today when I got on the scale so finally its over!!!!! Just keep working at it and try changing it up a bit

Thanks everyone for the encouragement! I know exercise is where I am lacking greatly... I work 12 hr night shift 3 nights a week and I am going back to school full time, going 2 nights a week. I need to just scheduel myself to go into the gym like I scheduel everything else in my life! lol I have been seriously contemplating getting back on the personal trainer bandwagon, then I have to show up. I am going to try to work really hard on cutting out the fast food as well as staying away from the cafeteria at work. There is one support group in my town it meets every other week on Tues and I almost always work tues :( But I will try my hardest to get to one! Thanks again everyone, sometimes I just need to hear it from fellow bandsters! lol

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Some days I feel like an infiltrator... I'm participating in society as a "thin" person. They have no idea that I haven't always been one of them! 🤣
      · 0 replies
    • ChunkCat

Thank you everyone for your well wishes! I totally forgot I wrote an update here... I'm one week post op today. I gained 15 lbs in water weight overnight because they had to give me tons of fluids to bring my BP up after surgery! I stayed one night in the hospital. Everything has been fine except I seem to have picked up a bug while I was there and I've been running a low grade fever, coughing, and a sore throat. So I've been hydrating well and sleeping a ton. So far the Covid tests are negative.
      I haven't been able to advance my diet past purees. Everything I eat other than tofu makes me choke and feels like trying to swallow rocks. They warned me it would get worse before it gets better, so lets hope this is all normal. I have my follow up on Monday so we'll see. Living on shakes and soup again is not fun. I had enough of them the first time!! LOL 
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Still purging all of the larger clothing. This morning, a shirt that I ADORED wearing ended up on top. Hard to let it go, but it was also hard to let go of those habits that also no longer serve my highest good. Onward and upward!
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches