Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Haven't gotten my frenemy and freaking out!?

A few weeks before surgery I had to remove my nuva ring and I ended up getting my period twice in a month. I havent gotten my period yet and I'm 6 days late - so naturally I'm freaking out!! Hubby and I have been extremely safe- actually using condoms - something we haven't done in God knows how long !! Lol - I'm just freaking and needed to vent !

Good luck...hopefully it's just the switch up in hormones. My dr. let me leave my nuva ring in for my surgery yesterday...which I actually left in an extra week so I wouldn't have a period during the time of surgery/recovery, but I still got weird spotting. So my body is having it's own freakout.

I left my nuvaring in when I had surgery and I ended up getting breakthrough bleeding and spotting for almost two weeks. Maybe it's something about the hormones in the ring that make our cycles go all whacky after surgery.

I think our bodies just freak out in general the first few cycles. From the pre-op diet for 2 weeks until I completed 2 months post op, I'd get my period every other week while still on the pill - and I have PCOS, so that's unheard of for me! If you're concerned, definitely take a pregnancy test. Try not to stress too much; that can affect our bodies as well.

Oh wow! My doctor never said anything about using (or not using) my nuvaring during surgery....I was kinda hoping to leave it in an extra week so I wasn't having my period during the day of surgery..... then again maybe I should go ahead and take it out now and get the dang period out of the way prior to surgery! Guess I need to contact my surgeons' office to see what they recommend......never thought about the ring since half the time I forget it's there!!!

I think our bodies just freak out in general the first few cycles. From the pre-op diet for 2 weeks until I completed 2 months post op, I'd get my period every other week while still on the pill - and I have PCOS, so that's unheard of for me! If you're concerned, definitely take a pregnancy test. Try not to stress too much; that can affect our bodies as well.

Yeah, that's exactly what I did, left it in an extra week so I wouldn't have to deal with it during my surgery. However, the odd thing was my body didn't care it was still there and I got my period (albeit very light) the day of surgery anyway. Which is weird, b/c I've left it in an extra week before and it was fine. I guess between the new change in diet and all the stuff going on, my body didn't know what to do.

Anyway, they had told me at my first appt that the doctor may have me take it out a couple weeks before, but when I spoke to her she said to just leave it. So yeah, check with them and see what they say.

Oh wow! My doctor never said anything about using (or not using) my nuvaring during surgery....I was kinda hoping to leave it in an extra week so I wasn't having my period during the day of surgery..... then again maybe I should go ahead and take it out now and get the dang period out of the way prior to surgery! Guess I need to contact my surgeons' office to see what they recommend......never thought about the ring since half the time I forget it's there!!!

Ladies, it's quite common for the body to go into early menstrual cycle during surgery. This happened to me during both my original surgery and my revision. Completely normal. I am on the pill and each surgery I was mid way through my 3 week pill cycle. I wonder if it has to do with the trauma of surgery... Not sure though

I emailed the patient representative at my surgeon's office and asked....

"Do I need to remove my nuva-ring and if so, will it be ok to use a tampon during surgery?" and she asked the doctor and replied,"It's ok to leave the nuva-ring in during surgery."

Glad someone asked this question!

Thanks!