Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My little complication

Hi all. Decided to share my experiences. I have lost about 50 pounds so far (go back to the surgeon this Friday). I am a very heavy person, if I lived at Seaworld I would rate my own aquarium. When I went in for surgery (for large-size lap band) I weighed 460 pounds. I kissed my hubby and said I would see him in about an hour. I woke up 3 days later in the ICU. Because I had abdominal surgery about 20 years back, doc had to cut away mondo adhesions. The surgery lasted 5 hours. They put me on a pain pump afterwards and evidently I just kept pushing it. It seems that due to my great weight and the length of the surgery, my lower back nerves were compressed, giving me neuropathy in the my legs and to a lesser extent, in hands. (areas without feeling to pin prick, but tingling and EXTREME pain to touch) I could not walk. My legs would not function. They did an MRI. It seems lying there had caused my lungs to collapse as well. I was on happy juice and oxygen for 8 days in the hospital, came home on a walker and a portable tank. I'm off oxygen now, but still have some neuropathy in my feet and right hand. I kind of doubt it will ever go away. The surgery wasw 6/21/05. ANYWHO. After 6 weeks, I went in for a fill. He gave me 0.7 cc, which I felt gave me no restriction. Seems it really didn't. The fill when measured at my next visit in 6 weeks only measured 0.2 cc. After that he gave me another 0.9 cc. (keep in mind I had the larger band, size 14?) Minimal restriction. This last time, in December, he gave me 1.3. Finally- I'm really starting to lose weight. If you're still reading, wish me luck. MaryCh

Wow Mary--that's a pretty horrible experience! I'm so sorry you went thru all that. It's surprising they had no idea there might be adhesions and that 5 hours of surgery could cause the kinds of problems you had... or did they?

I'm so glad you're okay now. I bet with more WL and some physical therapy (you are getting some kind of thereapy, aren't you?) that you will recover and have energy like you haven't had in years! Surgery is hard on our bodies, but they do have an amazing ability to improve.

Best, best, BEST OF LUCK and warm wishes to you!

Oh my gosh, Mary, what an ordeal you went through. Your husband must have been frantic with worry. Did the doctor say why this happened to you? Many people as heavy and with previous surgeries have gone through this and not had such a bad experience. So I wonder why?

Glad your feeling better!!!

What a hard road, I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I hope you are well and truly healed and your health is ever improving. Nice to have you here!!

Mary, congratulations on the 50 pounds!!!! You keep up that great work! I am sorry that you had to go through that surgery experience, but am sure you are on your way to recovery!

Hi, Mary! You've gone through a lot, and you're on your way to losing the weight that has caused you so much trouble. Keep after it, have courage, and thanks for posting here! We'll be here to cheer you on! Cindy

Mary--

You've been through so much! Bless your heart.

I pray for you nothing less than a full recovery and steady weightloss!!

Congratulations on the 50 lbs. gone!

I'll be joining you as a "bander" hopefully sooner than later. :)

Welcome aboard MARY!!! So glad your starting to see light through those woods you've had to forge through. I hope you find great information here on LBT but most of all support for your journey. All the BEST!!

Mary - I'm so proud of you for doing the surgery - it's been a long trip for you so far - but geez, 50 lbs down has got to have made a big difference for you! Keep it going - and stay in touch! Things will only get better from here! You take care of yourself!

Kim

Hiya Mary, I thought I would join everyone in welcoming you and to simply echo what's already been said. It's been a rough road for you, but I have a feeling that when youre looking at a mere shadow of your former self in the mirror, just before you head out the door on a sunny day, you will smile at your reflection, happy with your slim tan body dressed in shorts and a cute tank top. And, I'm even willing to go so far as to bet that you -wont- be thinking about these hard times as you walk out the door to enjoy life. It will happen! Hang in there, we're all fighting the same battle right beside you.

*hugs*

Hi all- Thanks for all the kind words and lovely thoughts. I appreciate it. I'm doing better every day. It's great to be losing, and I try to put what happened behind me, and concentrate on the future. Mobility is still a little problematic, but it gets easier as time goes on. I know things are going to work out well in the end, whenever that will be. We all have the same fight and the same goal, so I know you guys are with me. Hugs to all. mc