Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly Banded from Massachusetts

Hello all! What a wonderful resource, so glad to find you!

I was just banded January 12 by Dr. Czerniach, UMass, Worcester.

My beginning weight was 342 and 333 just before surgery. I am feeling much better (glad the elephant sitting on me finally moved), but still can't lay down in bed.... MAJOR muscle spasms when I do... how long should I expect to sleep in the recliner?

ALso, did you know there was an incredible video of the lapband surgery available for viewing on www.or-live.com/BrighamandWomens/1372/

It helped explain why I was so sore in certain places!

Blessings to you all for your support!

Mary:messenger3:

Hi Mary, Welcome to LBT!!

I think I slept in my recliner for about a week, But can't really remember. For me it hurt to lay flat. I didn't have muscle spasms.

Yeah, I saw the video, WOW!!

Again Welcome,

Thank you SO much for putting that website for the video - AMAZING. I kind-of freaked out, to be honest, but at the same time, it calmed me to know that it's not THAT bad - no big slice or anything...

Thanks again, and I cannot wait until that's me lying on the table! I will be looking to you for advice!

I just had my banding done 1 week ago; on liquids for 2 weeks, but starving, sick of Soups, isn't there more to life than soups for 2 weeks; i also have a very sore stomach, not where the stitches are but right down the middle of the stomach; is this just swollen stomach or is something wrong? I find it hard to turn while sleeping and forget the bed to sleep in, it's the couch for awhile, then the recliner; is somethin wrong with my band?????; whoever thought they could go back to work in 3 to 5 days forget it;

Sorry to hear of your problems. I was banded on Jan 19. Just 4 days ago.

I am feeling very well. I have been on the Soups and added some pudding today. I sleep very well. Not even using any pain meds since Friday night. I wonder if you should call your doctor. I have been very careful to only have fluids that are clear. chicken broth. sugar free pop-cicles and apple juice and a clear protien drink called Isopure. I do plan to go to work on Tues and I have a job (hairdresser) where I stand all day. I feel I can do it. Gosh, hope you feel better soon. I do have alot of gas in my tummy though. Not sure what from. It is not like I eat anything to cause it. I am told it is fairly normal to have a gasuous situation after banding.

Anyway, hang in there!! It will be worth it. I keep telling myself that over and over and over again.

the gas you are having is very normal after this surgery; in fact my doctor is having me tax gas-x at each meal and bedtime and it relieved a lot of pressure and walking; do not be surprised if you are exhausted going back; i would say do 1/2 day at a time for maybe a week and build up

I am now jsut 10 days out and will see the nurse practitioner for the first time tomorrow. The recliner is still the only comfortable sleeping place for me, but I did go back to work after one week. I was still sore, but only had to work half days which I was grteful for , and was VERY tired after three days in a row. Glad to NOT to be doing full time, it would have been too much for sure.

Yes, I'm sure much of the pain we're getting right now is bloating and gas, and our insides and muscles settling from the jostling around during surgery... Besides the stomach cramping, I had an excruciating experience with Constipation last week, and will be vigilent not to let that happen again! It is getting better every day and I'm looking forward to moving on from the liquids after Friday's appt with nutrition. I've been sticking precisely with the Protein shakes, clear broth, popsicles, etc. I've made up my mind to stick to what I'm told, I don't want to take any chances on messing something up now.

I'm looking forward to sharing and listening as experiences happen! Each response feels like a friend cheering me on, it is really nice and I so appreciate you all!

Happy sleeping! :notagree

thank you

I am 7 days out today and drinking my labrada Protein shake (if you haven't tried it, it's excellent, tastes like chocolate milk, fitness essentials carries it). I do believe 2 weeks on this liquid diet is a little intense. I have talked to many many people who diddn't even do the liquid diet pre surgery and only 2 days after surgery; I figured it all out yet. Also i was told it isn't to lose weight aftger surger, many gain some as it's Soup broths that are high in sodium, foods high in sugar. Then you go back to normal foods until the first fill. That the true weight loss is after the first fill and the many fills from there.

I finally slept good last night on the couch straight flat. Still waking up and still sore but feel better. I could not go back to work, I drive 25 miles from my office and that would scare me, the reaction time to the pedals.

I think it's interesting, lists of food i read were no Peanut Butter, no popcorn, no nuts etc and I read about all these people having that.

One week out

I really find it amazing that they told you no nuts. The lady told me after I am on regular food they recommend and few nuts (unsalted of course)each day to try to get in the Protein. She said not to worry till the time comes so I am not. I am taking a fruity Vitamin drink called Ruby reds I saw on tv and ordered it. It is very good mixed with apple juice. 4 oz is all I can have per day but I put it on crushed ice in a pretty glass and feel

like I am enjoying a treat. I am wondering where do I find fitnes essentials? never heard of it. I could use a Protein Drink that I like a little better.

I am wondering too how to get the ticker over to this board. I got a post on how to do it but guess I am kind of stupid and need more detailed instructions. dah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just want to say thanks to you all. I don't know how I could do this without you and my sweet husband. (He has been great but I found out he doesn't even really know how to make jello) That old saying about men and not being able to boil Water. I guess I spoiled him. I have always been the caretaker in the family and maybe that even helped make me fat. I forgot to be selfish enough to take care of myself. We ladies sometimes give till our health gives out. Guess I am rambling. Will stop.

D

go to google and put in fitness essentials in your area and see what they say, where do you live? I am in texas. Don't make Jello, go to sams and get the sugar free all ready made up in different flavors, much easier; i know a ton of gastric bypass people that get to have nuts too; i somewhat took that with lapband you could basically eat anything, it's just a lot less?????????????

I live in a medium size town with an large air base in ND. Minot is the town.

We do not have a Sams Club here. One in Fargo and Grand Forks but that is 3 to 5 hours from here. I can make Jello no problem and did get some already in the little cups. pudding too. Do you have schwan home sales there? I got some very good fruit bars and some more creamy fruit bars that are fat free and sugar free. They are good.

I was told with lap band you can eat anything, some things just are not tolerated as well. I can have(down the road of course) anythng I want as long as it goes past the band. I will however be strictly adhering to the weight loss and excercise guidlines they gave and will give me.

I teach a deep Water arobics class at our ymca and can hardly wait to get back to that. I hope to get the okay on my next visit. I'm going to the mall today to do a little slow walking. Maybe work out a little gas. It is winter here or I would just go outside. Don't trust myself on the treadmill yet. I will try google to see what I can find. My son who is a weight lifter uses some Protein Drinks that are pretty good but I guess i like a little variety. He uses the same stuff over and over. He says if it ain't broke don't fix it. However he can have a regular meal at this point if he wants to. I am craving a little more creativity than he does I guess. I have found I like the pre-mixed ones in the cand. vanilla is my fav I even like the slim fast ones. Don't really like chocolate ones. Maybe will try again.

Lets hang in there. WE CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

iknow exactly where minot is; I use to live in Iowa, moved to MN and met my husband there; we use to work for First Bank Systems and were on the auditing crew and audited banks in minot, hoople (love that town) and fargo. Very familiar with your area. My husband is from Montana. We now live in texas due to transfer;

HI guys!

Really enjoying your posts! I use Carnation Instant Breakfast (sugar free in the blue box) with 1 cup 1% milk for my Protein drink. It comes out good in the blender with a couple pieces of ice. I also found a sugar free chocolate Syrup and sugar free kahlua syrup to add for a different taste. (local supermarket)

I have only a few days left on this yummy phase, hallelujah!!!

I went to Nurse Practitioner today, down 12 pounds since surgery. YAY! I don't care HOW the weight comes off, in my book it's OFF! Double YAY! Incisions look great and I see the nutritionist on Friday for my diet change. Can't wait to have cream soups! YUM!

I was surprised about the nuts too! It's encouraging to hear though! I thought I'd never eat them OR popcorn again. Who knew?

Have a great day!!!! SO glad you are doing well!

PS. I can't figure out the ticker thing either... I think maybe my browser just isn't supporting it? I have a Mac.... not sure, usually I can figure things out...hmmmm....

Congrats 12 lbs is great

i feel bloated and gaining with all these Soups and things;

were you on the first week of Clear Liquids

our 2 weeks after surgery is creamed soups----potato, broccoli cheese, anything with some Protein helps; i found chilis, lamadeleine, black eye pea all have good soups to work around; just chew those potatoes up

but trust me, you get real sick of Soup too.