Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded yesterday and worried

I never expected to be in this severe amount of pain. The vicoden only mildly takes the edge off. It worries me. I keep reading of others who are only mildly uncomfortable and it worries me that I shouldn't be in this much pain.

Please, is there anyone else who experienced this?

I would call your doc.s office. They should have an answering service, since its Sat. They can contact your doctor and hopefully he will prescribe something stronger for the pain. Everybody has a different pain tolerance, I don't think it means there is something wrong. However, it is probably a good idea to get checked out next week. Hope you feel better soon!

:(Pick up the phone and call right now - you need something stronger to manage the pain-ultimately that will help with the healing process. Just get to the phone now and have your pharmacy number ready so he can phone in something a little stronger. Be very blunt with him/her and tell them you are in real pain! Do it now-no need to suffer this much.

I agree with the others... call and see if you can get something stronger, but hang in there ~ I can tell you that I had my surgery on a Thursday and didnt really start to feel better until Sunday. It will get better ~ but if you can get some stronger pain medication until then it would probably help.

If you doctor says youre okay make sure you are walking like you are supposed to. The gas pains can be terrible but get better if you waLk even if you don't feel like walking. Make sure younger drinking too.

I know how you feel. I was banded on May 13th, and for the first 3days I had such sever gas pain and pressure in my back and chest. I called my Doctor hysterical. However I was not given liqued pain meds, so I was afraid to take them. They told me to then crush them and take them they will help you relaxe and sleep alittle, and to walk. I also had this horrible bubble that would feel like I had to burp, but couldn't, give it a couple more days and you will be feeling much better. Even my husband can not get over what a difference a few days makes, I was hystercial the first few days in pain and woundering why did I do this to myself, but I am now 13 pounds lighter in one week, we just need to adjust our thinking, and change is always scarry. Best of luck and hang in there.

GET BETTER DRUGS! I hope you already called your surgeon :( I had a morphine pump right after surgery and even though I was hitting and hitting the button it wasn't helping with the pain. They ended up changing me to Dilaudid after a few hours (took a while to get approval, a new pump, etc) and it helped immediately. Not all pain killers work for all people.

Keep us updated!

I never expected to be in this severe amount of pain. The vicoden only mildly takes the edge off. It worries me. I keep reading of others who are only mildly uncomfortable and it worries me that I shouldn't be in this much pain.

Just want to say be gentle with yourself everyone ex. pain differently I always say when in doubt call the doctor...I had my surgery on Thursday....each day little more sore for me as well...hers to our new lives.....Kel

hey little tea pot. i also have liquid pain meds which i didnt want to take, but i have in fear of having pain. congrats on getting banded. most of my pain is at the port sight. my understanding that the gas pain usually only goes away with you moving and walking. hope you are able to do that and call your doctor just to be safe. best wishes to all of us!

right there with you on the pain...until today while it has become mild. none of my pain has been gas and all has been port pain. the doc said he may have nicked a nerve---i'll say!!! my out patient became in patient due to my inability to deal with the pain. while on the meds stonger than morphine i walked and walked and walked. so no gas pain for me! but my port sewn in to a nerve--um yeah that is killing! finally, today day 4 i have only had to take tylenol. i still have 2/3's of a bottle of liquid loritab and am saving it because you never know.... I sure hope you can get the pain under control, as I could do nothing until I did. best of luck!

I felt lousy the first two days!!! By the third day, I turned a corner and began to feel human again. It's a good thing I began to feel better on the third day because my husband went to an eye doctor appt., attempted to walk out to his car after having his eyes dilated, tripped over a curb, and fractured his right wrist and sprained his left elbow. Instead of me being the patient for the weekend, I became the nurse! Not a pleasant nurse, but a nurse who had to feed her husband when she couldn't eat anything but clear liquids! Yikes! wink.gif

i was banded this past monday and was in terrible pain for the first few days. walking really really helps. i'm still having a lot of pain on my left side when i breathe in or walk, but i plan on talking to my doctor about it this week because it's just getting ridiculous. take the liquid pain meds and sleep through it. thats my advice. when you're awake you should walkwalkwalk and sip on water... other than that i'd try to sleep as much as possible. it helps with the healing process. good luck to you, hope both our pains go away soon :)

My pain is slightly better now. I paged the nurse who was supposed to call and check in with me at some point today and I still haven't heard from her. My husband and my mom are doing a good job of nursing me though! My mom is a nurse so I feel lucky to have her help me through this. They didn't give me any liquid loritab. I was only given vicodin pills that I can take every six hours. I'm counting down the hours each time. Thank god I'm feeling a little better. My stomach looks like a freak-show though and it's weirding me out! It looks so foreign to me.

Thanks for all the responses guys. I love this forum!

I was banded on Monday the 16th and I had the same kind of experience. I had read where people only felt "uncomfortable" as well, but I couldn't believe the amount of pain I was in. My only saving grace was that I'm super sensitive to drugs, so the morphine they gave me knocked me out pretty quickly. The oxycodine does the same thing and the pain has gotten better, but I definitely was several leaps beyond "uncomfortable" for the first few days.

Hope you feel better soon, maybe ask your surgeon about trying a different drug.