Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pain on Left Side After Major Sneeze---Day 7

So I have major sneezes--it's always been something that people laugh at about me..because they are super loud and they shake my whole body. I felt a sneeze coming on yesterday afternoon and I tried to hold it in. I didn't and it came out loud and hard. Since then I have a pain in my left side (feels deep, not superficial) when I breathe in like a sign or I cough or sneeze. I had my lapband a week ago today. My port feels fine, no pain there and other than gas pain still setting up residence in my left shoulder I'm really in no pain.

Do you think I just pulled a muscle trying to hold in the sneeze?

I don't want to be one of those pain in the butt patients who calls every time an eyelash falls off..but I can only think the worse case scenario is that my band slipped? But wouldn't that hurt all the time? not just when I cough or sneeze? Is this call the doctor worthy? Maybe some of your bandsters who have been around awhile have some experience or know about this? Do bands slip easily? I gotta think it's in there tighter than that because people then do aerobics and skiiing and sports etc...

Anyone ever heard of this? or had it?

BandedKitten

Banded 5/12/11

started 205 (i'm tres short)

Day of surgery 197

Today...........................185! :)

You're fine. No your band didn't slip :) If the bands were that fragile we'd all be screwed; especially me! Allergies have been kicking my butt this year. Relax :) If the pain continues maybe call your surgeon for reassurance but I'm pretty sure you did no damage.

You're fine. No your band didn't slip :) If the bands were that fragile we'd all be screwed; especially me! Allergies have been kicking my butt this year. Relax :) If the pain continues maybe call your surgeon for reassurance but I'm pretty sure you did no damage.

You rock..I may call his PA just to hear what I kinda know already..it's a dumb pulled muscle.

Thanks for taking time to respond. :)

Banded Kitten

Banded 5/12/11

started 205 (i'm tres short)

Day of surgery 197

Today...........................185!

My guess is possible a pulled muscle or possibly a popped stitch. I don't know what I did, but about a week out of surgery I popped a stitch and it hurt similar to what you are describing. Hurt something aweful actually lol Peace of mind is great, so if you haven't, call your doc's office but I agree you are likely just fine :) Good luck.

My guess is possible a pulled muscle or possibly a popped stitch. I don't know what I did, but about a week out of surgery I popped a stitch and it hurt similar to what you are describing. Hurt something aweful actually lol Peace of mind is great, so if you haven't, call your doc's office but I agree you are likely just fine :) Good luck.

Thanks so much for the replies...I was on the ledge yesterday! ;)

I woke up with less pain and it's still there but about 40% better so I know it's nothing serious.

I feel a little silly for having such a huge reaction---but HEY I'm new to having a piece of plastic in my belly! :)

thanks bebbes!

Your port is most likely located on your left side. As a result, sneezing, and anything that contracts your abdominal muscles will cause some discomfort. This is a normal symptom. When we attach a port to your tissues (aponeurosis-tissue that covers muscles), it tends to irritate a bit causing this discomfort.

This will go away if you give it some time.

Best,

Your port is most likely located on your left side. As a result, sneezing, and anything that contracts your abdominal muscles will cause some discomfort. This is a normal symptom. When we attach a port to your tissues (aponeurosis-tissue that covers muscles), it tends to irritate a bit causing this discomfort.

This will go away if you give it some time.

Best,

No this is a large mass of hard tissue,It is a ball yhe size of a grapefriut and the site has sharp pains,