Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 Weeks Out and Can Eat Anything

I know that because I don't have a fill yet that this is probably the reason why......but I can eat pretty much anything and a lot! just about as much as i was before I got banded 3 weeks ago! I don't even feel like there is a band in there!

When you get a fill, does that help you to feel full with less food? I know that is a stupid question, I mean, I know that is what it is supposed to do right, but I didn't expect to be able to eat this much! Right now I am eating a lot! and with no problems, bread, chicken, pretty much anything!! It's not hard for me to eat over 1500 calories. Did anyone else go back to eating what they did after they got banded (without a fill)? And did it change once you got a fill or two?

I could've eaten anything 3 weeks post op. My biggest suggestion would be to follow your doctors diet plan, until you get a few fills you'll probably be able to eat anything. Once you get a few fills you'll be amazed by how much less hunger you feel.

Oh no, I heard this was "Bandster Hell!" It's called that because without restriction, we'll be able to eat

like we did before lap band. I'm two weeks post op and on to solids now. I don't wan to test the waters because I'm

afraid I'll get caught in old bad habits!

What are your portions looking like?

I tried to start with just eating a small plate of food, but I am finding myself going back for seconds! and then end up eating quite a lot. I think that I need to start measuring EVERYTHING that I eat. I find that I am really hungry later in the evening too and going for Snacks, like my dinner didn't satisfy me and I am still hungry. I really didn't expect to be able to eat this much and I know that this is where I need to follow the rules of healthy selections, especially if I can eat like this!

I know that because I don't have a fill yet that this is probably the reason why......but I can eat pretty much anything and a lot! just about as much as i was before I got banded 3 weeks ago! I don't even feel like there is a band in there!

When you get a fill, does that help you to feel full with less food? I know that is a stupid question, I mean, I know that is what it is supposed to do right, but I didn't expect to be able to eat this much! Right now I am eating a lot! and with no problems, bread, chicken, pretty much anything!! It's not hard for me to eat over 1500 calories. Did anyone else go back to eating what they did after they got banded (without a fill)? And did it change once you got a fill or two?

Hi there,

I have the exact same problem you do. Thursday will be 4 weeks post op and I can eat anything BUT don't. I measure my food and the food I eat is low in fat. Measuring saves me!!!

I get my first fill on the 26th but need to call and try to schedule for this week, hopefully Thursday. I want that filling of fullness that I felt 2 weeks post op. At that time I could eat 1/2 cup of food and get full, now cup and a half to 2 cups!!!! Totally don't like that.

I assume the swelling around the band is gone and that's why I can eat more??? Is that true?

I'm almost three weeks post-op and my experience is similar. Overall, I'm eating quite a bit less, but I admit that my food choices could be better. I haven't tried any bread so far, but I can still eat rice and Pasta without any problem. I've also found that I eat more when I choose foods and beverages with artificial sweeteners, and I don't feel satisfied. So I tend to eat one decent sized meal per day (usually lunch), a Protein Drink at Breakfast and a small dinner. I know that even with lap band, losing weight is a process, so I'm not going to worry too much about it as long as I'm eating less and making better choices. I haven't had any fried foods or other junk food, so that's progress. I'm sure after we have a few fills, we'll really miss being able to eat like we do now.

Doesn't mean you should ;). The band doesn't stop you from eating... you will always have to control what goes in. For me, I can still eat any food, nothing gets stuck. So I do have to make conscious decisions. Yes, when you get a fill, your hunger will go down, so it'll make it easier to eat less.

It took me 3 fills to feel restriction. For now, I would concentrate on eating the right foods, (low carb, low fat) even if your portions are larger than they will be once you have restriction. I also reccomend starting an excersise program once you are cleared by your doc. It has so many benefits, just one being weight loss. Hang in there, restriction will come. Best wishes!

I tried to start with just eating a small plate of food, but I am finding myself going back for seconds! and then end up eating quite a lot. I think that I need to start measuring EVERYTHING that I eat. I find that I am really hungry later in the evening too and going for Snacks, like my dinner didn't satisfy me and I am still hungry. I really didn't expect to be able to eat this much and I know that this is where I need to follow the rules of healthy selections, especially if I can eat like this!

Know that I'm saying this from a kind place even if it sounds mean, because I don't know if you need to hear it: knock it off! Don't eat seconds, don't snack, don't graze, just DON'T. Yes I know how hard that is because I am almost 5 weeks post op, no fill yet, hungry a lot. BUT. You need to train your brain to accept a smaller portion as "enough". You need to eat small portions and stop when you're done, and when you've done it for a while your brain will start to see a small plate of food as normal and a large plate of food as excess, a gross amount of food even.

You're not doing yourself any favors by still eating larger portions and snacking a lot. Remember, the band will help you feel satisfied sooner, but it WON'T stop you from overeating. If you don't get used to the smaller portions now, you'll regret it once you get to a good fill spot because you still won't be getting the results you want.

I think my own "Bandster Hell" was the sudden realization I had to train my own brain to recognize the insane drive to always feel "full" regardless of what or how much I ate.

That 'full' sense is the biggest mistake of my entire eating career.

"Full" is an illusion that 1) never lasts very long; 2) only occurs after eating WAY more than needed; 3) was a non-physiological sensation that replaced the Normo sense of "satiety".

My advise is to actively and intensely seek out what the cues are in recognizing the difference between "hunger" and "not hunger"; forget this 'full' nonsense as it is the wrong trail IMHO.

Yes, measure your intake. Get smaller dishes just for YOU. Train yourself to eat ONLY the amount your meal plan allows. Keep track of what you eat daily. Measure yourself and take photos for your own journal.

Focus on your goal, not on how hard the trail may seem to be.

Overeating in the attempt to feel 'full' every moment of every day is/was the very heart of my own Morbid Obesity.

One of the unexpected pleasures of postOp life, is discovering the wonderful sensations that arrive with becoming aware of different stages of 'becoming hungry'. My own habit was to avoid any hint of being hungry, and the only way to do such was to 'stay full'....which we can not do without dire consequences.

Make your choice....you can either change your eating behavior and achieve your weight goal, or you can continue old bad habits that did not serve ANY of us well. Every day every meal we have opportunity to change our behavior. The Bandster Hell would have us believe a magic switch will shut off all our bad eating habits of a lifetime.

We have to train our brain to be in charge of our belly.

I was banded 4/18 and totally understand where you are coming from. I tested the waters and I'm a horrific follower of the rules.....I did well for the most part with the post op diet but tested what I could and couldn't eat. I could eat anything....the only issues i had is if I didn't chew a little more than normal or ate a little too fast, I'd get that "stuck" feeling that would pass if I sat up straighter.

I have no restriction and have an 11cc Realize band. But for some reason, for me, after I tested the waters and realized I can pretty much do whatever I want....something clicked in my head. The desire to eat has changed for me. I don't know what happened. YES, there are times when the food tastes so good that I have to shut myself off. I went to a communion party yesterday and they had the best catered food.....I limited myself to a small plate and two little bites of cake. I mentally wanted more because it was so good, but I sat, talked to myself and realized .... "HEY, I'm full" I didn't go back. Later than night, I was "hungry"....only to realize after I made myself a bowl of potato salad and baked Beans from the picnic the day before, I took two bites and didn't want it. It was head hunger and I'm progressing in that department. I pitched it right in the garbage.

I was totally like you, but I've done a lot of talks with myself the past few weeks and just because I can doesn't mean that I should. I have to control it but I ask myself....Why did I get this band in the first place?? I did it for a reason and if I want to remain fat, I can just continue to eat the way I used to or I can do this for myself. I KNOW this doesn't help you with your hunger issues, believe me....but it helps me somehow. Just thinking of my goals, helps me not put that extra food on my plate and even helps me throw out food because I'm really not hungry anymore. Eat what you want, in moderation, talk to yourself, listen to your body, make good choices before you put in your mouth and ask yourself if that particular food (or extra helping of food) will help you accomplish your goal? That is the only advice I can offer at this point, because until we get some restriction to help us a little and our band becomes our friend....it is up to us...an inevitably even with the band, it is still up to us to make the right choice. The band isn't going to make us reach our goal, just help us in the journey.

Good Luck.

I know what you mean. I have eaten like normal and I'm not having any difficulty. Actually now had my first fill and finally have a little full feeling when I eat but its still way too much

Depending on the surgeon you have when the band is put in there may or may not be any liquid in it. My band was put in with no liquid in it. I would definitely call the doctors office for guidance on what to do at this stage.

I found that premeasuring all my meals and eating only what I have on my plate helps alot with eliminating going for seconds. I normally have 3-4oz of Protein and 1 cup of veggies with all meals. I cook no extra food so there is no second, third, or extra helpings. If you get hungry before the 4-6 hours try snacking on low calorie food like fruits and vegetables.

Are you drinking liquid as you eat? This is the hardest habbit for myself and most bandsters to break. You should not drink anything 30 minutes before a meal and 1 hour after a meal. If you are drinking during this time it bascially flushes everything out of the pouch and you will get hungry sooner.

Hope I was helpful.

weight.png

I need help also! I just had my surgery on the 4th and I am able to eat regular food. I am not trying to eat regular food but I am starving. I guess it is normal to be hungry after and able to eat because there is no fill (I have read other posts and that seems to be the medium) but I am worried because I am SOO hungry. So then my question is when can I get a fill? I saw some people getting fills 2 weeks post and some others having to wait until 6 weeks post? When is it normal? I am hoping I can have mine done tomorrow but I feel it is too soon. I worry just like you that I am going to be able to eat anything especially since I already can and it will be three weeks for me on Wednesday. AHH! It is so nice to know I am not alone, I am just still frightened.

Know that I'm saying this from a kind place even if it sounds mean, because I don't know if you need to hear it: knock it off! Don't eat seconds, don't snack, don't graze, just DON'T. Yes I know how hard that is because I am almost 5 weeks post op, no fill yet, hungry a lot. BUT. You need to train your brain to accept a smaller portion as "enough". You need to eat small portions and stop when you're done, and when you've done it for a while your brain will start to see a small plate of food as normal and a large plate of food as excess, a gross amount of food even.

You're not doing yourself any favors by still eating larger portions and snacking a lot. Remember, the band will help you feel satisfied sooner, but it WON'T stop you from overeating. If you don't get used to the smaller portions now, you'll regret it once you get to a good fill spot because you still won't be getting the results you want.

I actually totally needed to hear that! It's not mean at all, it's the truth! I am just so used to eating a lot, that even if it's healthy, I want to eat all of it. Thanks for the little "kick in the a**" I needed it!