Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Panniculectomy & Tummy Tuck - Help!

It's been 3 years since my lap-band surgery, I've maintained my weight loss, so now I think it's time to get rid of the excess skin on my stomach. It's so bad I feel like I'm pregnant. It hangs/sits on my thighs.

I found a great plastic surgeon, she advised the Tummy Tuck with the panniculectomy - I'd see better results. Since insurance is covering the Panni, I was OK with paying for the Tummy Tuck ($2,000).

Anyway, I'm NERVOUS. Not about having surgery itself, just what kind of pain I'll experience after. I know there's lots of information in this forum about this, but I'm getting confused reading it all, so anyone that doesn't mind sharing information on some of my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

1. My surgeon said the operation would take about 3 hours. Similar for anyone else?

2. I'll be coming home with a binder (that I have to wear for 2 weeks), a drain (or two) that I'll have to measure the Fluid from. Similar?

3. I'll also have a "pain pump". There will be two tubes (very small, like an epidural tube) in my abdomen, connected to a pump that will continuously give me pain medication (I'm not sure what kind, I'll ask at my next visit this week). When the pump is empty, I can just slide the tubes out. Has anyone else had this?

4. I can't stand up straight for a week. Again similar stories? I can shower the very next day, but I'm not sure how with the tubes and drains.

5. And I guess the two most important questions - how soon were you able to do light house work? I have a son with autism, he'll be at a sitter during my surgery, but will need care after. My hubby helps, but he does need to go back to work after a week.

6. And PAIN :eekB: My biggest fear. I'm a wimp. Does everyone have a lot? I'll have the pain pump (I'm very interested if anyone else has this), and oral pain medication, but I just wonder how long the pain will last. Why can't I stand up straight for a week? (yes I'm going to ask her at my visit this week).

I know these are a lot of questions, if anyone can answer one or two, I thank-you in advance! I am getting some information from my surgeon, but it's always helpful to talk to peers who've had similar experiences. I'd love to hear what you have to say! (good stories or bad, lol).

Thanks everyone! :thankyou:

I have some of the same questions. I'm about to schedule a consult for a TT.

I think it's awesome that you only have to pay $2K!

Lori - I put my answers next to your questions below. I know it's scary to think about it, and yes, it will be more painful than lap band surgery, but the end results make every bit of the discomfort worth it! My band surgeon suggested that I take additional Vitamin c before and for 8 weeks post op. I healed very well, so I pass this suggestion along to you too.

Best wishes to you. Keep us posted.

Sue

It's been 3 years since my lap-band surgery, I've maintained my weight loss, so now I think it's time to get rid of the excess skin on my stomach. It's so bad I feel like I'm pregnant. It hangs/sits on my thighs.

I found a great plastic surgeon, she advised the Tummy Tuck with the panniculectomy - I'd see better results. Since insurance is covering the Panni, I was OK with paying for the Tummy Tuck ($2,000). You're very lucky - mine cost an additional $7k over the amount the panni cost.

Anyway, I'm NERVOUS. Not about having surgery itself, just what kind of pain I'll experience after. I know there's lots of information in this forum about this, but I'm getting confused reading it all, so anyone that doesn't mind sharing information on some of my questions, I'd greatly appreciate it!

1. My surgeon said the operation would take about 3 hours. Similar for anyone else? Yes, mine was 3 1/2 hours.

2. I'll be coming home with a binder (that I have to wear for 2 weeks), a drain (or two) that I'll have to measure the Fluid from. Similar? Yes. I had to wear my binder for about 3 - 4 months, but not around the clock. You'll find this hard to believe, but you'll feel better with it on than off.

3. I'll also have a "pain pump". There will be two tubes (very small, like an epidural tube) in my abdomen, connected to a pump that will continuously give me pain medication (I'm not sure what kind, I'll ask at my next visit this week). When the pump is empty, I can just slide the tubes out. Has anyone else had this? Yes, it was the best thing in the world! I only wished that it lasted longer than 3 days.

4. I can't stand up straight for a week. Again similar stories? I can shower the very next day, but I'm not sure how with the tubes and drains. You may have a piece of velcro to hang the tubes and drains over while you shower. Make sure you have someone nearby for the first shower because it can be very exhausting and you may find yourself getting a bit dizzy or lightheaded.

5. And I guess the two most important questions - how soon were you able to do light house work? I have a son with autism, he'll be at a sitter during my surgery, but will need care after. My hubby helps, but he does need to go back to work after a week. You'll probably have a weight lifting restriction of about 10 pounds which would impact vacuuming, laundry, etc. You'll probably have this restriction for 6 to 8 weeks.

6. And PAIN :eekB: My biggest fear. I'm a wimp. Does everyone have a lot? I'll have the pain pump (I'm very interested if anyone else has this), and oral pain medication, but I just wonder how long the pain will last. Why can't I stand up straight for a week? (yes I'm going to ask her at my visit this week). Pain was there, but the results will make it worth it. So nice to sit down and not have my tummy hit the tops of my legs. Fatigue is worse than the pain. It may take a while for you to get back to your old energy level.

I know these are a lot of questions, if anyone can answer one or two, I thank-you in advance! I am getting some information from my surgeon, but it's always helpful to talk to peers who've had similar experiences. I'd love to hear what you have to say! (good stories or bad, lol).

Thanks everyone! :thankyou:

Sue Magoo did a good job answering your questions so I won't repeat. I would like to just add a tidbit that helped. The 2 drainage tubes have pumps at the ends the shape of an egg but slightly larger. The were there for about 5 weeks and quite as nuisance to deal with. After a few days, I got the brilliant idea to stick them in the bottom of my bra. Worked great. Not only were they out of the way but I had great cleavage! LOL!!

Lori - I put my answers next to your questions below. I know it's scary to think about it, and yes, it will be more painful than lap band surgery, but the end results make every bit of the discomfort worth it! My band surgeon suggested that I take additional Vitamin c before and for 8 weeks post op. I healed very well, so I pass this suggestion along to you too.

Best wishes to you. Keep us posted.

Sue

Thanks so much for all the information Sue! I didn't think about the fatigue, that's a good point (with the band surgery I felt better in a few days). I have been cleaning my house from top to bottom, trying to get things done so I can just relax. Luckily, hubby knows how to vacuum and do laundry, lol.

Not to be a pain and ask more questions, but I'm curious about the Vitamin C - neither surgeon mentioned this. How much did you take?

Did your Lap-band surgeon remove all the Fluid from your band before surgery (mine is going to do this). When did you start getting it refilled?

Thanks again for all your answers! I'm going to look on the bright side, and think of this as a two month vacation, lol. :lol:

Sue Magoo did a good job answering your questions so I won't repeat. I would like to just add a tidbit that helped. The 2 drainage tubes have pumps at the ends the shape of an egg but slightly larger. The were there for about 5 weeks and quite as nuisance to deal with. After a few days, I got the brilliant idea to stick them in the bottom of my bra. Worked great. Not only were they out of the way but I had great cleavage! LOL!!

Thanks for this Cindy! (5 weeks with tubes, wow!) That's an excellent suggestion. My surgeon said definitely one drain tube, possibly two. If I only get one, I'm gonna be lop-sided! :D But still great advice, thanks!

I'm glad to listen to all this advice, it is helping me to be more prepared!

Thanks so much for all the information Sue! I didn't think about the fatigue, that's a good point (with the band surgery I felt better in a few days). I have been cleaning my house from top to bottom, trying to get things done so I can just relax. Luckily, hubby knows how to vacuum and do laundry, lol.

Not to be a pain and ask more questions, but I'm curious about the Vitamin C - neither surgeon mentioned this. How much did you take? I can't really remember, please ask your surgeon about this.

Did your Lap-band surgeon remove all the Fluid from your band before surgery (mine is going to do this). When did you start getting it refilled? i got all of the Fluid out because anesthesia and I don't get along and I have nausea issues with it - not good with a band. I got unfilled the day before my Tummy Tuck and got refilled about 3 weeks after. I had to wait until I could be comfortable in the position for getting a fill - my port is just under my rib cage in the middle.

Another thing I forgot to say is that sweat pants or men's pajama pants with pockets are great for holding your drains and bulbs at ends of drains.

Thanks again for all your answers! I'm going to look on the bright side, and think of this as a two month vacation, lol. :lol:

My doctor didn't remove any of my Fluid. He said there was no need.

I bought a t-shirt dress to wear home from the hospital so I didn't have a waist band to rub against the incision. So here I am in a dress (and nothing else) and they brought a wheelchair for me to ride in to the hospital exit. Because all of my surgeons patients are put in the lap band med-surg unit, the only wheelchairs available were made for large people. This darn thing was as wide as a love seat! I had to put both feet on the same foot pedal or to avoid flashing everyone in the hospital!

Hey Ladies,

I too am three years out in July! I am scheduled for my lovely Budha belly removal and Tummy Tuck on June 8th. Two weeks later I will be getting a breast lift with implants. I appreciate all the tips for the Tummy Tuck. Any tips for a breast lift? Prayers will also be appreciated!