Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions for those who have been here for awhile

Ok here is my list of foods I am wanting to know if I can eat later on....

Tortilla chips

Pasta

popcorn

chocolate

Not that I want them right now, but down the road I am change my mind. I want to be able to go out to eat with friends and they like to eat Mexican and Italian. Will I even be able to eat with them if we go out. Just little bits I know!!

Thanks!!

The chips and the chocolate - yes

popcorn, I had some last night would have been fine but kept eating it.... just needed to know when to quit.

Pasta - this usually gives me problems. But I know people who can eat it. I've heard different people say certain types of Pasta they can eat, some they can't.

Trust me, you will be able to go out and enjoy meals.

The chips and the chocolate - yes

popcorn, I had some last night would have been fine but kept eating it.... just needed to know when to quit.

Pasta - this usually gives me problems. But I know people who can eat it. I've heard different people say certain types of Pasta they can eat, some they can't.

Trust me, you will be able to go out and enjoy meals.

How do you eat chips? Just chew chew chew? I am so scared I am going to make the wrong choices. Wont chips get stuck? How do I decide what not to eat? Texture wise. Right now I am on a soft diet and am already scared I'm going to choose the wrong food that will get stuck. How do things get stuck? How do you know you have chewed enough?

I'm sorry I am asking so many questions I am just getting scared as I get closer to being able to eat regular foods.

Thank you for your support!

Becca

I haven't even tried popcorn, but I can eat all the rest including Mexican and Italian food. I do fine with Pasta but can't do bread at all.

Well, chips crumble into nothing so if you chew them well, they will go down ok, too good probably, they are a slider food for most people, which means they will pass through your band rather easily. You want to try to stay away from these foods on a regular basis because they are so easy to eat and pass right through. But on occasion there is nothing wrong with some chips.< /p>

The foods that seem to cause problems for most people are foods like bread or Pasta, something that you might swallow as a whole "wadd" (for a lack of a better term) The real key to me is not what I eat but more how i eat it. Slow and small bites seem to be the key for me, if i eat too fast or too large of a bite, that seems to be when I will get stuck.

Things get stuck because they can not pass through the band, so the smaller, well chewed things go through the easiest.

You'll do just fine, just take it slow. It is a learning process for us all, but in no time you will get so you just know what you can and can't eat, what will and what won't go down well.

Don't be scared, it will be great!

I am just starting to try some solid foods. I'm supposed to just be in the mushy stage, but I figured if I chewed the food into mush, I would be fine. So far, so good. I had beef stew yesterday. The meat and veggies were really tender. I only had 2 pieces of the meat which I nibbled at (probably bites per piece) and then chewed very well. The same with the veggies, small bites of them.

I tried crackers and that was fine. Today I tried two very small pieces of a soft pretzel my hubby was eating. I was expecting to have a problem, but I didn't. Again, I chewed it until it was mush. And the piece was about the size of a dime to start with.

Good luck experimenting.

The only one I have trouble with is Pasta. I can have it, just not a lot. I find it to be thick and I get filled rather quickly on it.

I can eat chocolate and chips no problem but try to only have it once a month, popcorn has no nutritional value at all but I do love it and its a low calorie snack I just buy the 100 calorie bags so I dont over eat it. Pasta tends to be harder to eat but if you chew chew chew you may be able to it fills you up fast so you wont eat much of it anyway. You should try spaghetti squash just go to the store buy a spaghetti squash cut it in half place on a baking pan put in over on 350 for 10-15 minutes then use a fork to pull apart like spaghetti and add your sauce.... delicious.

Mexican food is one of the easiest things for me to eat. I don't use chips- I get burrito fillings, minus the rice, in a salad bowl or just plain. The meat is usually very well marinated so it's easy to chew and swallow. And the Beans, salsa, avocado- all good for you!

Italian... it's much harder to stay away from the carbs.

The most likely answer is that you won't be wanting to eat those things very much any way.

And we do go through phases even after "solid food".

Mostly those are crap items that really are horrid nutritionally, and led to most of us being long term members of the Tribe of the Morbidly Obese.

Emotionally we all fear giving up what we perceive as comforts of what we are used to doing.

I can eat all/any of those things....but far more often just am not interested. Pasta used to be one of my main staples. Now spaghetti once every month or 2; maybe a bit of Pasta salad now & then. It really isn't that appealing a food group once you examine your own palette.

And our tastes DO change. pizza, that all time favorite I would eat 3 times a day preOp, now maybe A piece a few times a month. That's plenty.

chips? Mostly another compulsive eating and binge item. Couldn't really care less for them now, but might have a few with some Beans & rice at a Mexican restaurant....if I can find some good chips. Never buy them by the bag or have them at home. No sense of loss.

chocolate is a fantasy I've never really cared for anyway. Yes I can eat it, and do, maybe 1 or 2 times a month. And not much at that. Gave up brownies etc as they are universally too sweet for me.

If you are like other Bandsters, you are going to be too busy being active in your new life to waste much time on Bad Old Eating Habits.

I've learned to appreciate salads, Soups, and small portions of hard Protein far in preference.

Cheers on your journey

Thank you everyone! Like I said i'm not wanting it now, but I jusy had a panic attack that I would NEVER be abke to eat these things again! Tonight I had a lasagna bake without the noodle. It was good. My main dish snd the cause of one if my rolls was nachos. But if I know I can have a few once a great great while I'll be ok. :0)

Thank you again everyone!

chips are a slider food for me - I can eat them without any problem - I do not buy them but if I am at a party/BBQ or someplace they are served I will eat them. Not a big fan of popcorn but when I have had it I didn't have any problem with it either. Pasta can go either way for me - some days I'm Ok with it other days after one bite I can tell I will have trouble. Mexican food is usually ok for me - I have only had trouble with things like enchiladas - I guess it is the tortilla that bothers me.

I can eat all of the things you listed. I just have to make sure I do it in moderation because chocolate and chips are slider foods.