Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much "fill" is a typical first fill????

I had my band placed on 4/18 and don't get my first fill until 6/2. Curious about how much to expect from first fill? I have Realize 11cc band and can't imagine they would just give me 1 cc or .5 cc in an 11 cc band? At that rate it would probably take me forever to get any "restriction."

Also, I've seen where people have a 4cc band....why do an 11 cc band then? If a 4cc gives you good restriction, then why make a larger band that requires more fills? Maybe I'm not asking this right??? It seems like an 11cc band would take longer to get results where a smaller cc band would not?

It's my understanding that the 4cc band is older technology and is no longer placed by surgeons in the US. I think it's mainly used by surgeons in Mexico. I'm sure someone who has the 4cc band would know more. :)

I have a 10cc lapband and had 3cc installed during surgery. My first postop fill was 1cc and all the rest have been even less. Even though small, they work well for me. My doctors practice is to increase the Fluid slowly so that patients have time to adjust their eating habits. Your doctor may have a different philosophy.

I think the realize band takes a bit more saline on average to get good appetite dimming, but I can't remember where I read that and googling isn't helping. Talk to your doctor or nurse about your concerns. They should be able to help you and give you enough fill that your appetite is dimmed, but not so much that you have difficulty adjusting. :)

I have a realize band and my first fill was 5 ccs (there was no fill put in during surgery)

I have a Realize Band and got 4 cc on my first fill six weeks after surgery. The fill certainly helped with amount I eat, speed at which I can eat. I am hungry about 3 hours after a meal and am going in for my 2nd fill this coming Monday, May 16. Everyone's stomach reacts differntly to the band/fills. Some on here never required a fill.

Good Luck!

Thanks. I was curious if they give you a substantial fill the first time or just keep giving you 1cc at a time till you reach a good point.....glad to hear that they start off with a little more (at least for you... my luck he'll say he's starting w/1cc).

I have a 4cc LapBand and my first fill was .5cc at this rate I felt like I was starving.

Now the New Surgeon that I got . He had is PA put me under Fluoroscopy, and she looked at the entire band and seen where the fill zone is mine is probably 3, and she gave me 2.5cc on my first fill.

I felt fantastic, and still do.

But you are wright ! at .5 or 1.0 each time, it will take forever for restriction to set in. Also they will make the MONEY$.

I don't know why they changed it. It probably is another way to make more money.

People still go to Mexico, and they still use it... So it is still in circulation.

You might want to Post and ask who here has a 4cc band? Were you banded in the States or Mexico, and do you like it. See what you get back. Could be interesting.

I have an 11cc realize band. I had 3 the 1st fill and then the next was 2. I have never gone above 5 cc in my band. I am now at 2.5. I have had a slip and had to have fill removed 2x. If you are too tight, you can't eat and might have a lot of burping, pb'ing and coughing, which can cause a slip. God luck. Karen

My Dr. has a fill schedule... I had 1cc put in at time of surgery... first fill was 2cc then the next 3 fills were 1cc then he goes down to .5 cc unless like me i got to tight within that range so now I get filled at .25 each time

I have a 14cc Lapband and my doctor explained that she placed the bigger band because I have a larger esophogus. It cuts down on the risk of band slippage. She also said that my 1st fill that we were going to go "hard at it to get to restriction so that we wouldn't be doing so much poking on the band" So, I'm expecting a 5cc fill in 3 weeks. (I'll be 6weeks postop)

I had heard that the 4cc bands were not offered here in the US anymore and that what we have here isn't offered in Mexico.

My band had 3.4 cc in it when they did the surgery and then my first fill the put 1 cc more so a total of 4.4 cc. I was fine with the 3.4 cc but now with the 4.4 cc I don't like it. My throat feels like it has a lump in it. Very uncomfortable. :huh: