Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

WWYD in this situation?

I am scheduled for my first fill on Thursday, May 19th. My husband and I area leaving for a cruise to Bermuda on Friday May 27th (one week later). Would you be cautious about going out of the country within a week of your first fill? Our cruise is 7 days.

My concern is that since I haven't had a fill yet, and you have to wait for the swelling to go down to see where you're at- I don't know. I guess I'm just a little concerned that I won't know that something's "wrong" (i.e. too tight) until it's too late to fix the problem.

I DO want the fill before the trip, I'm not at all concerned about not being able to pig out on the cruise laugh.gif

I just wanted to check with all of you experts!

Rachel, after a first fill you're not likely to be too tight. If you are you will certainly know it within a couple days. I would go ahead and get the fill. Have a great time on your cruise!

Rachel,

I was banded on 4-4-11 and had my first fill 5-4-11 and I'm not feeling much restriction at all. I had 5cc's put in my 11cc Realize band. I didn't feel much different after the fill. My doctor said that normally it takes about 3 fills to get the perfect amount. Hope this helps with your decision. Have a great trip!

Awesome, thank you both!

I'm actually looking forward to a vacation that DOESN'T revolve around food...

Rachel,

I was banded on 4-4-11 and had my first fill 5-4-11 and I'm not feeling much restriction at all. I had 5cc's put in my 11cc Realize band. I didn't feel much different after the fill. My doctor said that normally it takes about 3 fills to get the perfect amount. Hope this helps with your decision. Have a great trip! Hi there. I had first fill 4-7-11 of 4CCs. Have restriction with some foods, but need more restriction. 2nd fill May 16th. Can't wait. I've lost 50 pds, but a lot of the time its me making good choices & not always the band. Maybe that is how it goes. Thanks.

PS: I also have an 11 CC Realize Band. Thanks. Gail

I wouldnt worry too much after a first fill, you're far more likely to be frustrated over feeling absolutely no restriction than you are to be too tight.

Becareful i travel out of the country all the time and the band will swell with heat in the tropics i have gotten a fill and went to jamaica and couldnt hardley get Water down for 3 weeks. so with that being said u never want to leave the country within a month of a fill first fill or not it is not a good idea. if by chance u had problems there is no help for the band on a ship or most foreign countrys. i would wait till u got back hope this helps. oh and have a great trip and do some snorkling while u are there.

I am scheduled for my first fill on Thursday, May 19th. My husband and I area leaving for a cruise to Bermuda on Friday May 27th (one week later). Would you be cautious about going out of the country within a week of your first fill? Our cruise is 7 days.

My concern is that since I haven't had a fill yet, and you have to wait for the swelling to go down to see where you're at- I don't know. I guess I'm just a little concerned that I won't know that something's "wrong" (i.e. too tight) until it's too late to fix the problem.

I DO want the fill before the trip, I'm not at all concerned about not being able to pig out on the cruise laugh.gif

I just wanted to check with all of you experts!

unless you get a fill that is almost the amount of your band I think you will be fine. The first fill is never usually much.

I would go for the fill and let the doc know you are going on vacation soon. Maybe book a just-in-case unfill appointment for a few days before you leave just in case.

My first fill was nothing at all and I got 4cc put in my then 11cc band

Most Bandsters don't seem to have much issue with "too full" their first fill. Discuss with your doctor for his advise. He might do a smaller fill than usual under such circumstance.

Cruise ships have a doctor and nurses. In an emergency any doctor or RN should be able to access the port to remove Fluid.

However, I would not anticipate any problems. Especially since your vacation is a full week later. Or, ask to have the fill a few days sooner?

Have a blast!!!!

Thank you everyone!!

I would think you should be fine unless you have an aggressive doctor who puts a lot in your first fill but highly unlikely.. I think my first was 3 or 3.5 ccs and I had no issues. It helped with the hunger but no where near being too tight. Good luck with your decision and have a wonderful time on your cruise!!