Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

High schoolers with lap band?

So, I'm supposed to be getting lap band this summer right before my junior year. I'm really worried about having complications or anything and still having to go to school. I'm trying to convince my mom to allow me to go home schooled. So, do any of you guys with experience think that's a good idea?

Getting the band is not taking away your life. You can easy go to high school, college etc after being banded. The band gives you a better life not a worse one.

Don't worry about it. Your eating habits will be different but you will be ok.

If the band made life so hard I wouldn't be able to keep it a secret from all my friends :)

Good luck!

Is there some other reason you want to be home schooled? I've got a high-school senior and I know it can be a tough place.

If you get banded this summer, you will have plenty of time to recover from the surgery and figure out how you want to handle eating. Who knows...you may have some significant weight loss, gain some confidence and have a great school year.

Cindy

There is no reason for anyone to know you had surgery. Most of us on this board work outside the home; and probably half do not tell their coworkers. For 7 months after surgery I had a job were I worked from home. To be truthful being at home where all the food is can be a challenge. Now that I go into the office I take my food for the day and that's it. I don't buy anything at the cafe or have any of the free hot chocholate at the coffee station.

If your banded in the summer, you will be fine buy the time school starts. You will see in time that the weight will drop like it's HOT. People will also notice the Transformation.

It's up to you if you want to keep it your own business, or share the wealth once you start seeing the difference, and are confident about your weight loss.

Good Health to you, Shirley.

Well, my surgery will more than likely be at the very end of summer and I'm scared that I'll end up getting food stuck at school and throwing up or something. I don't know, I'm just nervous that school will be difficult because I'll still be adjusting to the band.

I think you'll be OK as long as you're through the liquid part of the post-op diet. Since you're band isn't filled when you first get it, you really don't have problems with throwing up. I hope you have at least a couple of weeks post-op before school starts.

Cindy

Nothing to worry about at all !B) You will be on liquids or mushies anyway.

So,, drink what you have (EXCEPT FOR POP !) Eat the mushie stuff. Just don't eat fast, and chew till it's all mush, and small bites. Now ! That's not that hard, is it? That's all you need to do, and you will be fine.

Now if you go and mess up like eat chicken when your on mushies. Yeagh you would get stuck, and take the chance of hurting your stomach. So listen to your Dr.. Do what he or she says.

Did you ask your Dr. if you should be home schooled? That;s who would know.

Next time you see your Doc. remember to ask.

Shirley.

I personally think being home schooled may be a bad idea for the fact you'll be home all day and may think about snacking. Now I HATED school got picked on all the time and was depressed the whole time, so I totally understand if this is why you want to be home schooled, I would have loved to be out of that environment. I tell you I went to graduation, tossed my hat and ran. But I think that it may make you want to eat, as opposed to being in class and not be allowed to have food and stuff

You shouldn't have any problems going to school. School isn't about eating, it's about learning. If you have problems with food just have a Protein Shake for lunch.< /p>

I WISH I had done it in high school.