Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

One day post op and veterans, I could use some advice :)

Cindy C, thank you so much for your kind words! I am on day 3 post op and feeling much better today. I'm still gassy as ever, but like you said, it will take a few weeks for it to fully go away.

I am taking an ounce of liquid per meal sitting like I should and haven't had the urge to eat anything or even think about food. I have a feeling this will be a success for me too! Your weight loss is amazing..I will

join you very soon! :)

Thank-you. And I'm sure you will!

Is it normal to feel your port when walking?

Absolutely normal. The port was sewn onto a muscle. Until it heals, you're going to feel it. It gets better.

Hey! I was banded yesterday 05/02/11 and aside from occasional pain, I feel great to know that I am finally banded! I chose to get the Realize band.

So far, I have been having gas pains and haven't eaten much of anything. My husband made me 1/8 cup of clear chicken broth and I can barely get

down 1 - 3 tsps. Is that okay that I don't eat as much? I will be on this liquid diet for the next 4 days until I can graduate to full liquids.

I was hoping if you guys could give me some input. I have been sleeping and walking whenever I can..just from yesterday, I have lost 4 pounds!!

I know it's all Water weight, but DANG...never had that happen to me before!

I'm loving my band and looking forward to this amazing journey :)

I also have the Realize band and received it on APril 18th. First, I will tell you and I'm sure your doctor told you that they usually don't put any fill in the Realize band at first. With that, I was so excited after my surgery because I had no appetite and was eating/drinking very little. GREAT I thought. I had surgery on a Monday and the following Wednesday, hunger set in. I'm NOT telling you this to discourage you, I'm telling you this to maybe prepare you. There is no restriction and when my swelling started to go down from the surgery itself (which was what was apparently giving me that restriction feeling), my hunger was there. I'm doing this on will power pretty much alone. I DO get a little fuller faster but not nearly as I think it will be when restriction sets in. I do take smaller bites and still chew chew chew because I know that that stoma is a little "tighter" just from the band being in place. I however, can eat anything I want...this is a bit discouraging and again, I'm trying so hard with will power. I do have the ability now to "limit" my food intake because I think it is the band inside of me and I'm afraid of getting stuck or doing damage, so that is helping with the will power. I lost 15 pounds from my 5 day liquid diet to my post surgery follow up. That was amazing. I'm sure I've gained a couple back by now but I'm doing well and just waiting for that first fill. I keep telling myself it is about healing right now and getting my Protein in....

Please understand that I didn't tell you this to discourage you but I too was so excited about the "restriction" I felt and was so bummed out when it started disappearing.....I just want to tell you my personal experience so if it happens to you, you aren't disappointed. You may be totally lucky and have some restriction from just the band itself and that has happened, it's not impossible....and I hope that is your case because that would be awesome.

Keep up the good work and you'll do great. Good luck to you!!! I too am looking so forward to our band journey's.

Hey slm2007! Thank you for your post. And I am in no way offended by it at all. Actually, I wanted to thank you for preparing me for the hunger stage!

Yesterday (2 days post op), I contacted my doctor's physician about gas pains and along with that, she told me to go ahead and go to phase 1 of my diet which are full liquids

and Protein shakes. So that's what I did...my husband made me an 8oz glass of Protein shake and just Water. Omg, I took about two sips and couldn't take it anymore.

I felt pressure on my chest and it was so uncomfortable. I'll smell food around the house and it will smell amazing to me, but I have no interest in picking a piece up and eating it or anything.

I'm finally not so swollen so I do feel my appetite coming back little by little. I know this next 5 weeks before my first fill will be pretty tough, but with the stage diets,

it will help me keep my mind of cheating for sure. I don't plan on it anyways.

I hope you are doing well and please do share your experience with me! Looking forward to hearing from you :)

I agree - stay hydrated and keep walking. There was also a breathing device that we used to clear out our lungs. Remember, your body went through quite an ordeal and the discomfort will eventually pass.

Okay good to know that I'm on the right path. Thanks!! What type of Protein shake do you recommend?

Hey slm2007! Thank you for your post. And I am in no way offended by it at all. Actually, I wanted to thank you for preparing me for the hunger stage!

Yesterday (2 days post op), I contacted my doctor's physician about gas pains and along with that, she told me to go ahead and go to phase 1 of my diet which are full liquids

and Protein shakes. So that's what I did...my husband made me an 8oz glass of Protein shake and just Water. Omg, I took about two sips and couldn't take it anymore.

I felt pressure on my chest and it was so uncomfortable. I'll smell food around the house and it will smell amazing to me, but I have no interest in picking a piece up and eating it or anything.

I'm finally not so swollen so I do feel my appetite coming back little by little. I know this next 5 weeks before my first fill will be pretty tough, but with the stage diets,

it will help me keep my mind of cheating for sure. I don't plan on it anyways.

I hope you are doing well and please do share your experience with me! Looking forward to hearing from you :)

So glad I didn't offend you or come off as a "negative nilly" but I was so excited that I had no hunger for days and then *poof* it was back. My experience has been relatively easy so far and I'll admit that I've been a horrible rule follower! I know I don't drink enough water/fluid. I didn't drink that much before this surgery and just can't get 64 ounces in. I've cut back my portions, but I've tested the waters with great success at eating pretty much anything I've tried. I eat less out of self control but I could easily eat a steak (with smaller bites and chewing) and would have no problem finishing it. I've lost a few more pounds since surgery but could probably be doing better and losing more if I followed the rules. I am careful and at this point I should be in my mushies which I'm doing for the most part but yesterday I had two pieces of grilled chicken. No problems (maybe I shouldn't be telling anyone this). Honestly, I was prepared for the worst possible pain, problems and healing issues. I've done wonderfully, maybe too wonderfully because I've not been following the rules as well as I should. I wish I felt fullness and I just keep telling myself that everyone is different and this is about healing and not losing at this point. I try to do the Protein Shakes but don't do 3 a day like I should be....I'm getting Protein from my food (hence the grilled chicken). I was doing great while I felt restriction so I'm praying when it comes back and I start getting fills that I will be a better follower of the rules because I will "Feel" something - - - know what I mean?? I know how well I followed the rules while my stomach was swollen and I couldn't "eat/drink" that much so I know I'll be okay when restriction finally sets in...until then, I will continue to watch my portions (I just bought these really great Portion Control utensils from Avon) and count my calories!!! Right now it is up to me and my band isn't my friend yet but I know it will be. I know it will work for me just because of the few days I felt the restriction so I'm still so very positive of my choice to have this done!!!

Gas Pains...ugh, I feel for you. I didn't have it in my shoulder but Wednesday after surgery, my head was about to explode. I was actually in tears on the livingroom floor because I couldn't even swallow or turn my head without this intense shooting pain coming over me. It was on the left side, at the base of my skull and worked its way down across the top of my shoulder. I would give birth again without medication rather than feel that type of headache again. I actually called the on-call doctor on Saturday because I was truly afraid I was having a blood clot issue or something. It has finally started subsiding to the point that I'm not taking Tylenol to keep ahead of the pain. So that was two weeks straight with a bad headache! Miserable. But the gas does go away...keep walking and I even used Gas X strips but because it was in my head, I don't think it helped that much.

Oh, and I do get a stuck feeling if I eat to big of bite or don't chew enough, so that is my constant reminder that my band is there and is keeping me in check. I haven't gotten "stuck" but I get that uncomfortable feeling in my chest and it tells me to slow down and cut back.

GOOD LUCK....I am already in love with my band.

Well, I like the VPX Protein Rush drinks. They come in multiple delicious flavors. Theyre kind of expensive and somewhat hard to come by. Vitamin Shoppe was where I found them but they no longer carry them. Sometimes I get them online. Overall I tend to make my own Protein Drinks, 1/2 c skim or soy milk, cup of ice cubes or frozen fruit, Protein powder - mix it in the blender. Im four months out and I tend to do other things for Protein - cottage cheese, tuna, eggs, seafood, Greek yogurt, etc. I have whey Protein Powder on hand which I use for a spice. I sprinkle it on eggs, Cereal, etc. One of my favorite treats is sugar free Jello, skim milk, with protein powder sprinkled over it. It adds a creamy, sweet taste to it.

I agree - stay hydrated and keep walking. There was also a breathing device that we used to clear out our lungs. Remember, your body went through quite an ordeal and the discomfort will eventually pass.

I am 2 1/2 weeks, the gas is still very strong. (painful). The pain of the surgery stopped very quickly. My biggest complaint is the gas.

I'm starving all the time and I'm just excited that I did it and hope and pray that I am not a failure.

Hey! I was banded yesterday 05/02/11 and aside from occasional pain, I feel great to know that I am finally banded! I chose to get the Realize band.

So far, I have been having gas pains and haven't eaten much of anything. My husband made me 1/8 cup of clear chicken broth and I can barely get

down 1 - 3 tsps. Is that okay that I don't eat as much? I will be on this liquid diet for the next 4 days until I can graduate to full liquids.

I was hoping if you guys could give me some input. I have been sleeping and walking whenever I can..just from yesterday, I have lost 4 pounds!!

I know it's all Water weight, but DANG...never had that happen to me before!

I'm loving my band and looking forward to this amazing journey :)

One question, I know we have to wait 5 minutes in between liquids and 10 minutes for solid foods.. Does the five minute wait period also apply for Water?

"finally did it"... Congrats on your surgery! I hope the gas pains go away for you. I still have it but doctor said i can take gas x. Have you tried taking that?

Sorry, not familiar with that. Our doctor said no Water 45 minutes before and 30 after. Will be curious to hear what others say.

One question, I know we have to wait 5 minutes in between liquids and 10 minutes for solid foods.. Does the five minute wait period also apply for Water?

Hey Mr. P, that's what my doctor said too.. Is to drink Water 30-45 mins before a meal and an hour after. But what about just sipping water? Do I have to wait 5 minutes to take another sip?

I was told to stop drinking 30 minutes before and wait 30-60 minutes (preferably 60) after finishing. It should take at least 20 minutes to eat and no more than 30....then it is considered "grazing" which is a no-no.

I've only been banded for 2 days and I feel the same way. I try to take sips of Water and I can be on full liquids but I get feeling sick if I try to drink my Protein Shake. I'm so afraid of throwing up. I'm still very soar, I was told my band had to be put up higher then normal because my stomach was small. It must have really shrunk on the post op diet, lol. looking forward to this journey.