Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is Everybody Doing? What's New?

Sophinator ~ First off, (((HUGS))) It is frustrating...I know. I'm on a big plateau and have been trying to mix up my exercise and food. I had a fill last week (now up to 4.5 cc in a 10 cc band) and am feeling some restriction again...though not as much as I would have hoped (I got 1 cc added this time, instead of .5 cc). You sound like you are doing great on exercise and not gaining is awesome! Are you using a program to chart your food intake? If so, maybe look at the number of carbs you are eating. I saw the nutritionist at my doctor's office after my visit last week, and she said that I should try to keep my carb intake below 80, if possible (which is still on the high end considering low carbers stay below 50 or even less) -- so I'm starting that this week (more recently I've been getting in about 100 or so carbs a day). Also, are you getting in all of your Protein and how many calories a day do you consume? I find that I lose the best when I get in at least 70-75 grams of protein a day and no more than 1200 calories. Also, do you eat Breakfast? I'm guilty of that and usually just grab a cup of coffee or hot tea in the morning and don't get in any protein until lunch. Apparently, skipping breakfast can signal the body that it should store fat versus get rid of it (the nutritionist said that it could be the reason I'm plateauing), so I should try to get in a Protein Shake or something in the morning to balance my day out.

I think you are doing great! Just chat with your doctor and maybe have him/her take a look at your food/exercise journal to see where you can tweak. Feel free to post anytime you are frustrated -- that's what we are here for -- to support each other. And, trust me -- we've all been there. :D

Hi everybody!

Well, things have slowed a bit again in the weight loss department. I PB a lot as you all know, I am sure it is my fault--I don't chew well. But my biggest problem lately has been the SUGAR! Urgh. I was baaaaad on vacation. Bad bad bad LOL. Luckily I couldn't eat what I used to, but I was still eating at least 1800-2000 a day and not exercising other than tooling around at the beach. So, I was up 2 lbs, my trainer says it was probably Water, but still! Anyway, I ended up losing that, and one more pound, so I have only lost 5 lbs since May 31. Not really happy about that. I have restriction, plenty of it--but I just think my metabolism is creeping along right now even though I am working out. It's getting better and I am not getting too discouraged, because working out is doing something for me that eating less can't do: tone me up and make my heart healthy. When I first started working out in March, my target heart rate was zone 1 (110-125) because I was SO entirely out of shape. Now, my target heart rate is zone 3 (140-150). I am so proud of myself for that. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, getting started, but I just knew with the money I put out for the lap-band I was not going to screw this up by not exercising.

I think one of the things we all have to remember is that not only does everyone lose weight at their own pace (let's face it, my thyroid could be discouraging me so badly but I refuse to let it affect me that way), but people are built so differently...so one person that is 5'2" that has 100 lbs to lose is going to see that weight come off faster than someone who is 5'10" (like me). Someone in their twenties who has no endocrinological problems is going to lose faster than a thirty-something with PCOS. Someone that has Type II Diabetes/Insulinemia who continues to eat/drink sugar and sugar substitutes when they know they're sensitive to that is going to have problems losing.

I cannot stress enough the importance of MOVING. If you aren't MOVING, and you are EATING, you are STORING! Unfortunately. It took me so long to figure this out. The lap-band is just a tool. It is not the answer. But look at what it allows us to do when we make just a few little changes! I am amazed, personally!! Sure, I wish I could be at the 50 pound mark like some of you, but I am THRILLED that I am at the 31 pound mark! Me--losing 31 pounds!! And to think I might be down another 20 lbs by Christmas? Really?? It just makes me so excited. It's a different mindset for me. It's little victories, not the big ones. But, I'm at a different point in my life than some folks so my victories are maybe a little different. Getting into a t-shirt (and workin' it!!) that I haven't worn in 6 years...it makes me realize how I am changing. Going to the gym twice, sometimes three times a week to work out...that's something I NEVER ever saw myself doing...so that's a HUGE change...and people are starting to comment...and I am now no longer self-conscious about posting pics of myself on my Facebook page.

Numbers on a scale can't do that!!

Hello my Febbandfriends,

I'm still standing...yeah, yeah, yeah... If you don't know what I am talking about, you are younger than me! LOL (old Elton John song).

For those who are having trouble moving...that was me. I need to tell you what got me moving my butt about a month ago. I set a short term, but yet substantial exercise goal. I told myself and anyone else who would listen that I was going to commit to doing one hour of the treadmill for 21 days straight without a break. No excuses! I met that goal and surpassed it. It helped me to keep going but knowing there was an end in sight if I wanted it. So, I plugged away...and yes, it helped me lose more and get over the plateau.

Now, I had a little set back this week. Last weekend I seemed to have gotten a tummy bug. I couldn't eat and was throwing up even Water. The program was that my stomach was inflamed and then was making my band too tight. When I went to get Fluid removed, there was a problem getting into the port. Two surgeons tried and couldn't do it so down to xray went. My port flipped sideways for some reason and they had to manipulate it to get the needle in and withdraw fluid.

I spent another day on liquids and then yestereday I started back eating. I can eat a decent amt so I am sure I can get myself into some trouble here. LOL I am PMSing so I suspect I will be up on the scale so I won't weigh myself for a few days (I am a scale addict, too). I am also going away on vacation next week so yikes! lol

Thanks for reading this far and WTG on everyone's weight loss! We are all winners! I remember when we started this journey I told myself to not expect to reach goal for at least a year. I still have seven months as far as I'm concerned. And remember, even if we don't hit our goals just perfectly, we will STILL all look and feel monumentally better than we did last January!

Hugs to you all!

JPT (aka Pam):D

Hi everybody!

Well, things have slowed a bit again in the weight loss department. I PB a lot as you all know, I am sure it is my fault--I don't chew well. But my biggest problem lately has been the SUGAR! Urgh. I was baaaaad on vacation. Bad bad bad LOL. Luckily I couldn't eat what I used to, but I was still eating at least 1800-2000 a day and not exercising other than tooling around at the beach. So, I was up 2 lbs, my trainer says it was probably water, but still! Anyway, I ended up losing that, and one more pound, so I have only lost 5 lbs since May 31. Not really happy about that. I have restriction, plenty of it--but I just think my metabolism is creeping along right now even though I am working out. It's getting better and I am not getting too discouraged, because working out is doing something for me that eating less can't do: tone me up and make my heart healthy. When I first started working out in March, my target heart rate was zone 1 (110-125) because I was SO entirely out of shape. Now, my target heart rate is zone 3 (140-150). I am so proud of myself for that. It was the hardest thing I have ever done, getting started, but I just knew with the money I put out for the lap-band I was not going to screw this up by not exercising.

I think one of the things we all have to remember is that not only does everyone lose weight at their own pace (let's face it, my thyroid could be discouraging me so badly but I refuse to let it affect me that way), but people are built so differently...so one person that is 5'2" that has 100 lbs to lose is going to see that weight come off faster than someone who is 5'10" (like me). Someone in their twenties who has no endocrinological problems is going to lose faster than a thirty-something with PCOS. Someone that has Type II Diabetes/Insulinemia who continues to eat/drink sugar and sugar substitutes when they know they're sensitive to that is going to have problems losing.

I cannot stress enough the importance of MOVING. If you aren't MOVING, and you are EATING, you are STORING! Unfortunately. It took me so long to figure this out. The lap-band is just a tool. It is not the answer. But look at what it allows us to do when we make just a few little changes! I am amazed, personally!! Sure, I wish I could be at the 50 pound mark like some of you, but I am THRILLED that I am at the 31 pound mark! Me--losing 31 pounds!! And to think I might be down another 20 lbs by Christmas? Really?? It just makes me so excited. It's a different mindset for me. It's little victories, not the big ones. But, I'm at a different point in my life than some folks so my victories are maybe a little different. Getting into a t-shirt (and workin' it!!) that I haven't worn in 6 years...it makes me realize how I am changing. People's comments...and especially me posting pics of myself on my Facebook page. The numbers on a scale can't do that.

Elle- Thank you so much for your advice. I have been journaling on myfitnesspal.com which is a handy little thing. After reading your post I looked back and was a bit amazed at the amount of carbs I have been eating! I have been concentrating on the 1200 cals a day and not really focusing on Protein or carbs (maybe why my hair is falling out like crazy!) I also am guilty, since banding, of not eating breakfast. I am tighter in the morning and am really not hungry until after 10 or so. I will have to keep an eye on both those things this week and see if I notice a difference. Sounds like your dr. is very similar to mine...although looks like you are doing great!

TexasMama- Good job on the exercising! Sounds like you are doing great with that. Glad you enjoyed your vacation...that's why we don't do them all the time or we'd all be 1,000 lbs :) They are meant to be enjoyed...and then back to reality. You are the one who got me back on the treadmill so keep it up...it helps me too LOL I have been going strong ever since you posted about it before. I hear you on the everyone is different and I know that but let me tell ya when you are looking around at what everyone is doing and see these great losses it is a bit discouraging...whether you are trying to lose 50 or 100 lbs we all want to see something!

Just PlainTired - Glad you are feeling better. I'm am so scared to throw up I saved my phenergan from after surgery. Sorry to hear about your port...will they have to fix it? My friend who got banded the same day as me says everytime she goes in they stick the needle in and then have to move it around to find her port. She says it's because her tummy is so 'fluffy' but I wonder if it is turned at a funky angle. Great job on the treadmill!!!

Alright...I must get things done and not spend all day on here. Hope everyone is doing great and comes by and posts...so inspiring and helpful! Have a great day!

sophinator--big hugs!! I know how discouraging it can be, believe me!! I'm right there with you. Don't let it get you down!! You will win this battle, that's all there is to it. It is a big battle, bigger for some of us than for others. I know you will do it. :)

Texas Mama ~ I'm so glad you had fun on vaca! Don't be hard on yourself -- we've all got to live in the real world sometimes -- just get back into your losing routine and you'll do fine. :) Your heart rate has improved drastically since starting work outs -- that's awesome! I have a question -- how much do you do per week of cardio and strength training? Also, if you don't mind me asking -- what is your goal weight and did your doctor set it? I am 5'8" (a little shorter than you) and my doctor set my GW as 151 going by BMI. Here's to much healthier and happier Feb 2011 Bandsters by December! Maybe we should set up goals on here to movitate each other. Like you said, we all lose at different rates, but it's still something to work towards. :)

JPT ~ Great work on the treadmill! I need to set goals like that. I start off strong, but my staying power could use some work. This week I either swam at the pool or jog/walked almost every day, but I have issues with letting life get in the way (work, kids, etc.). I completely relate on the scale addiction...and unfortunately it can set my mood for the day (especially on PMSing weeks...LoL). You are doing great and more than halfway to goal! Woo hoo! :D

Soph ~ Ugh...the Hair loss. Don't get me started...I seriously started to panic about it. I've been adding Biotin to my daily Vitamin regimen and it seems to be helping (I take 1000 mg a day). Before banding, I had a lot of hair and now it seems so thin and I have lots of baby hair coming in. On carbs, I think it definitely helps to keep an eye on it -- BTW, I LOVE My Fitness Pal -- I log on many times a day via phone or PC and it has really helped me to be accountable (plus, I notice when I have and don't have restriction). Like you, my band is really tight in the a.m. and drinking something hot usually helps. I'm still having a glass of tea or coffee in the morning and then getting in a Protein Shake about an hour later.

This week has been pretty good -- I feel like I'm back on track with exercise and watching my food intake. I haven't lost a whole lot (1 lb. or so), but then again it isn't gaining so I'm happy with that. I really think watching carbs and getting in some breakfast has helped me. Will post more later -- have a wonderful weekend everybody!

Hi All,

Elle...I started taking Biotin a couple weeks ago and I'm not sure if it is that or the haircut I got but I definitely notice a difference. A lot less falling out. I'm thankful I had a lot to begin with but I'm not old enough to be going bald!:blink: My great grandmother did and that's a little scary :)

I had my 3rd fill yesterday. I haven't eaten yet so I'll let you know if it made a difference. I've only had coffee...well yesterday liquids but do they really count? LOL My dr. showed me the yellow green and red chart and asked where I was on the chart...if I was hungry between meals and could eat more at a time....I said YES...so he said then you need a fill ...I would've thought he could tell that by the small weight loss but I guess that's just me. I really like my surgeon...but I've come to the conclusion they are just a different breed (which I'd imagine they have to be to do what they do)

Anyhoo...I'm really hoping this one helped! I am at 4cc's now...

Well hope all are doing well. I'll check back in soon to see what's new :)

Sophinator ~ I'm not sure if the Biotin is working either, but the Hair loss is slowing for me too. I need to book a haircut -- I think that would help a lot. :D How is the latest fill going? I definitely have more restriction since the last fill, but could probably use a little bit more (I'm at 4.5 cc's).

How is everybody else doing? In general, I think I'm doing all right but for the first time since being banded, I've had horrible cravings and bloating during my TOM and that has the scale fluctuating. What kind of work outs are you guys doing? I've been trying to mix it up and have been alternating between going to the pool and jogging. I need to find some sort of toning/strength training to do -- I would like to try pilates, but haven't found location nearby. I went to a spin class last weekend that totally kicked my behind...it gave a whole new dimension to biking that I had never seen before. LOL. I am thinking about doing a 90 day session of P90X with some family and friends, but it's kind of scary intense...and I'm a little intimidated. I hope all of you are having a good summer and seeing some good results. :) HUGS to you all and check in when you can!

I am new to this site and it is a bit confusing! I had my band on February 15, 2011. I weighed 285 on August 1, 2010. I lost about 15 pounds through my three month weight loss and my pre-surgery diet. I now weigh 221.5, down 63.5 pounds. I feel good about myself and my accomplishments! I can do so much more now than I could a year ago...it is amazing. I have my 6 month appointment tomorrow with the doctor. I don't understand how someone can gain weight if their band is working properly and is filled correctly. Sounds like they are overeating a little at a time and they have stretched their pouch. I know if I eat too much it is painful and I throw up. Which I hate, so I avoid...I was also told to never drink carbonated beverages ever again...it would stretch the pouch...maybe their doctor never told them this. I know that I am loving my band!

How is everyone doing? I'm down 60lbs, and the scale isn't really moving any more. I need a fill, but I'm going to wait until after I go on Vacation next week. Naughty, Naughty, I know! Check in and tell us how you're doing!! :)

I've been stuck for two months at the same weight. I had a terrible staph infection on my finger and it screwed everything up as far as my thyroid meds (timing). I am not pleased in the least, but I am just keeping on the track. frustrating at best.

Oh my Goodness, Polly! I hope you are feeling better! My friend's mom had a staph infection on her leg a few years ago and that was no joke! You be careful and get it all taken care of! You will be back to losing weight in no time! Try to stay positive! You've already lost 32lbs and that is probably weight you wouldn't have lost without your band, right?! You are doing great!!! :)

Everybody has been so quiet lately, so I thought I would start a new topic on how we are all doing. Just a topic where we can check in when we can. :D

I'm doing okay -- the weight loss has definitely slowed down, so I've had to bump up the exercise and adjust my eating a little bit to shake it up. I've only had one fill, and will probably get another one at the end of this month. I think I need it, because I've been getting a little hungrier than usual -- I'm not snacking a whole lot, but sometimes I eat and think "geesh, should a banded person be able to eat that much?!"

Overall, I'm feeling MUCH better than I did a couple of months ago -- more energy, sleeping better, able to keep up with my kids a lot easier, and (I think my fellow lady bandster will be able to relate) -- I can sit and cross my legs very easily now, which a major NSV for me! :P

I love the band, and what it has helped me to achieve so far -- I think that I just need to work a little harder on my end (before surgery, my doctor told me that losing with the band is about 5-10% device/90-95% you, and that it does take work...I'm feeling that now).

Hope to hear from you all -- I miss chatting with you. :welldoneclap:

Hello! I am 7 months post op and I have lost 70 pounds to date. I have had my band filled four times. The fourth time it was an overfill and had to have a half a cc removed. I think I am filled perfectly. I lose about 2 pounds a week all on diet...I am not a big exercise person. The funny thing is that I will go about two weeks and will not lose and it looks like sometimes I have gained a pound or two, then boom all of a sudden I am down 3 or four pounds. I guess that is how my body adjusts. I am VERY happy with my lapband and Dr. Heydari is the most supportive doctor in the world!

Everybody has been so quiet lately, so I thought I would start a new topic on how we are all doing. Just a topic where we can check in when we can. :D

I'm doing okay -- the weight loss has definitely slowed down, so I've had to bump up the exercise and adjust my eating a little bit to shake it up. I've only had one fill, and will probably get another one at the end of this month. I think I need it, because I've been getting a little hungrier than usual -- I'm not snacking a whole lot, but sometimes I eat and think "geesh, should a banded person be able to eat that much?!"

Overall, I'm feeling MUCH better than I did a couple of months ago -- more energy, sleeping better, able to keep up with my kids a lot easier, and (I think my fellow lady bandster will be able to relate) -- I can sit and cross my legs very easily now, which a major NSV for me! :P

I love the band, and what it has helped me to achieve so far -- I think that I just need to work a little harder on my end (before surgery, my doctor told me that losing with the band is about 5-10% device/90-95% you, and that it does take work...I'm feeling that now).

Hope to hear from you all -- I miss chatting with you. :welldoneclap: