Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is Everybody Doing? What's New?

Look at you, TexasMama! You are certainly doing great with your 29lb loss! It seems like they got your thyroid in check because you seem to be losing pretty steadily now!

I can definitely eat a happy meal's worth. That is probably exactly how much I'm eating! Maybe slightly more. It is so confusing reading LBT because everyone has different instructions and different amounts they are told to eat. So it's weird. Sometimes it makes me feel like I'm doing everything wrong. My doctor gives very little instruction. So, I'm kind of learning as I go and learning from what everyone on here says.

Does anyone have food guilt? I'm not one to completely change what I love to eat and quit eating it. I still have everything I love. (Fries, chocolate...bread.) Then I feel guilty about eating this stuff. I feel like, I can't completely change everything at once. At least I'm eating less of it, so that's a positive, right? I know some people go cold turkey and do everything perfect... but not me. Are you all "cold turkey quitters" or "everything in moderation-ers" ? I'm not eating the bad stuff every day...maybe one candy bar a week..Fries maybe once every week. So why am I beating myself up about it?!? I hate that I do that to myself.

Well I got my second fill yesterday and I believe I actually have restriction...wooohooo! I couldn't eat anything but liquids yesterday and so today I ate normally and noticed a big difference. Yeah! Before I could eat a good sized meal before I got full. My dr. has told me I don't need to measure my food...but I was beginning to think I needed to because if I eat too fast I get so full and that is a yucky feeling. Now I feel full much sooner.

Korilynn my dr. isn't real instructive about eating either. He is very good about explaining what he's doing and why things are happening the way they are but as far as eating he has really given me no directive other than to eat slowly and chew a lot. He's never said what not to eat only that some things will bother me more than others. I read so many people's posts on here and get a little confused. I do feel guilty when I am eating things I shouldn't be...but it's a process and I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I would like to live my life normally without being a crazy diet person...which will probably make my weightloss a little slower but I am ok with that. I am really trying to make good choices when cooking, stay away from sugar and watch the junk food. But I also realize that I am a busy working mother of two who will sometimes eat fast food. We will make it...I didn't go through this surgery for nothing! LOL No guilt!!

Hi Everybody,

Texas Mama ~ I like your doctor's definition of being in the zone! It's very encouraging. Lately, I've noticed getting hungrier too...I think I need a fill, but can't get in until the middle of July (my biggest complaint with this process has been how long it takes to get into my doctor's for fills but then again it lets me adjust to fills, so I guess that's the silver lining). For the first time since being banded, my calories are in the 1300-1400 range due to my increased appetite. I hear you on the Crystal Light addiction...I love Cherry Pomegranate something fierce! I don't have a sugar addiction, but I do love me some bread...totally my gateway food. LoL. :)

Korilynn ~ I do have food guilt sometimes, but like Soph said I don't let it bother me and just admit (journal) that I ate it and move forward. I really think it's part of learning to live with this device in a new lifestyle. How is your exercise going?

Sophinator ~ Awesome about your recent fill! My doctor's office didn't give a whole lot of instruction about how and what to eat (the nutritionist said that banded folks can eat just about anything in moderation) -- they just gave a calorie and Protein ballpark to stay in. I plan to ask them about carbs the next time I go in...I keep forgetting. My doctor set my goal weight as 151...I always *thought* I looked decent at about 160-165 when I was much younger, but I guess he's going by BMI. Did any of your doctor's set goal weights?

Well, I've gotten back on the exercise wagon but the summer heat is really putting a damper on me. I'm thinking about hitting the local pool and swimming if I can get over my swim suit phobia. :eek: It's just so hot where I live...I don't even want to picture what August will look like. I think Texas Mama can relate. :) I think my big issue right now is that I'm considerably more hungry the second half of the day. From wake up until about 7:00 p.m. my day is slammed, but until this last week or so I haven't eaten anything after 7:00 p.m. -- this week (big hand slap) I have snacked before bedtime. I guess the scale will show, but hopefully my workouts will help. I really think I need a fill and a bit more willpower. :tape2:

welp, TOM showed last week, left on Tuesday, and doggone it I am stuck on the scale. I guess I just need to pump it up some more. Elle, I am thinking along the same lines as you, but I have to say, I feel pretty good when I'm at BJs for lunch and I get the chicken and can only eat half of the lunch portion, but I will admit I can eat more than I could a month ago. I think I really, really need to journal my food intake so I know what exactly I am eating.

Texas Mama ~ I really think a food journal does help -- I write down everything good or bad that I put in my mouth. Sometimes, the calorie counts will amaze you. However, it does help me to keep myself accountable. :)

Side Bar: I'll abbreviate so I don't go on and on...I think I've been kind of sabotaging myself lately, so I had to self-intervene before it got bad and re-evaluate my eating and exercising. I've been getting a lot of attention due to weight loss (comments from friends, family, coworkers, strangers, etc.), and I think part of me wanted that old comfortable fat suit that kept me somewhat invisible for so many years (or at least gave me that invisible feeling). I had a heart to heart with my husband about it all last night, since he's my biggest supporter and best friend who loves me big or small. I'm still 30+ lbs. from the goal my doctor set and I can't let myself fall back into the old routine. I guess part of me is a little upset that I'm getting treated so much differently now that I was when I was bigger. Anybody else feel like this?

How is everyone doing??

I got my 3rd fill yesterday. He put in .5 ccs so now I'm at 8ccs. I'm on strict liquids for a week. Hopefully I'll not cheat too bad this time. We'll see.

My Dr. actually told me I need to cut back on my working out. lol...I've been doing 40mins of cardio 5x's a week and he told me to cut back to 30 mins. I thought that was CRAZY! I guess all the workouts can really increase your appetite and he doesn't want me to get too hungry. So I'll give it a try and see if it helps. He was really pleased with my weight loss...even though it feels really sloooooooow to me.

Elle, You are doing so well!! You're so close to your goal! I'm way jealous! I don't know about self sabotage, I think old habits are just so hard to break! At least that is the case for me.

I hope everyone is well!! Check in when you can!

Korilynn ~ How is the latest fill going? liquids should really streamline your pouch! That's wild about your doctor telling you to cut back on working out! LoL, but I can see the reasoning since I am defninitely hungrier when do more exercise/physical activity. You are doing so awesome! I'd love to have lose 60+ already! Woo hoo! Go girl! :D

Aww...thank you for the compliment! It means a lot coming from someone who knows what it is like. :) I think you are right about old habits dying hard...I've really been working on it for the last week, but TOM is making an appearance soon, so tomorrow's weigh in should be interesting. Plus, I think I've had too much sodium in my diet this week. I've stayed within my calorie, carb, and Protein counts but have been hitting the trail mix something fierce, which does contain more salt than I would like. I guess we'll see. :)

Hope everybody else is doing well! It's is super quiet now! I think Texas Mama is on vaca -- hope she's having a wonderful time! She posted the MOST ADORABLE swimsuit pic on her blog! You go girl -- you rocked it, and it looks awesome! You are braver than I am, but I'm slowly getting over it. My youngest starts swimming next week, and I've got to be in the pool... :blink:

It sure is quiet in here!!! LOL....

I've lost 48lbs. Can't wait to get 2 more lbs off so I can be at a 50 lb loss!

How is everyone?

I got stuck really badly yesterday and PB'd for the first time. Yuck. Ouch! I need to be more careful with my chewing!

Hi Korilynn!

You are doing great! 50 lbs is awesome! I'm hoping to get there eventually, however my body isn't exactly cooporating and I'm experiencing my first full-blown plateau (I've been the same weight for about 2-3 weeks...sigh). I'm trying to mix up my exercise routine (swimming and yoga) and change up my eating (proteins) to work on getting the scale to go back in the downward direction. :) I don't think I've ever fully PB'd yet, but have had some minor stuck episodes...and those were TERRIBLE (of course it was eating something that I knew I shouldn't). What kind of exercises are you doing and have you found any foods that work really well?

Everybody ~ It has been too quiet around here! I hope you are all doing well -- Texas Mama, Sophinator, Tom, JPT, and the others -- check in when you can! I hope you are all doing well!

Elle,

As far as exercise goes, my Dr. told me when I had my last fill to cut back some, so I have. I was doing 40 mins on the elliptical 5 days a week + 3 days weight training. He told me to cut down to 3 days a week or go down to 30 mins on the elliptical. We've been moving this week, so I haven't really made it to the gym since Saturday. I think he was right because I am back to losing a lb every 2 -3 days.

As far as food goes for me, I do the best with Salad(like a chef's salad) and a grilled Protein or a chicken or tuna(& mayo) salad. I don't really have bread...I eat crackers or pita chips.

The other day when I got stuck I was eating a skewer of chicken Satay. Needless to say, I won't be having that for a while!!!

I hope everyone checks in soon! I like hearing updates on everyone!!

Hi everyone!

I was banded 2/24/11 and I have lost 88lbs so far. I try my best to follow the lap band rules because I am afraid of complications. I also weigh and measure all my food and work out at least 5 days a week. Glad to see other Feb bansters are doing well!!

I'm here lurking around ...happy for everyone doing so well...but needing a big kick in the butt. I have lost barely anything compared to most of you and I'm frustrated...more with myself than anything. I really don't think I have any restriction. I would hope if I did I would notice...I can eat anything...I do have to keep it relatively slow but I could live pretty much like I was.:( I don't go back for another fill until the 27th and it will only be .5 cc. I see all these people saying they are following their diets but I don't have one...I am logging my calories and am walking on the treadmill 5 days a week...just started the couch to 5k (was inspired by YouTube vlogger newton4kt...if you haven't you should check out some of the vlogs on there) I know its what I'm eating ...ok so my question is what's working for you in the eating department?? Would love to hear some ideas!! Sorry to be a downer ...trying to find the positive in all this...like hey atleast I haven't gained ! :) hope you all are enjoying your summer!

Soph,

You are doing just fine! Don't be so hard on yourself! You might not be losing right now, but I'll bet you aren't gaining either! It sounds like you are doing a lot in the exercise dept! That is great! For me, when I do too much in the gym it slows my weight loss. My Dr suggested I try working out a bit less- He suggested I go 3 times a week or lessen the amount of time I go for if I go 5 times a week. I have really seen some results with cutting back slightly. Maybe talk to your Dr. and see if maybe you are slightly overdoing the exercise?

Another idea is to change up your exercise a bit. If you've been walking on the treadmill at 3mph try adding some incline. I usually do an incline of 8 or 9 for a few mins and then go down to a 3 and then switch back and forth a few times. Have you tried the elliptical? I can burn 550 cals in 40 mins on the elliptical. At first I hated it, but the weight loss results are fabulous!! Try it ... I started at 15 mins and worked my way up to 40 mins. I do take a break for a minute if my feet start to tingle..for some reason that happens to me on the elliptical.

As far as food goes for me, I eat what I want. I'm maybe not the best person to talk to in that dept. I eat what I want, but do have some restriction. (As I should! I have 8ccs in a 10cc band..) The band has pretty much cut out my being able to eat French Fries. They are my biggest vice. I probably had french fries 4 times a week preband. Now I'm lucky if I can get even 1 down without getting stuck. I also have trouble with Pasta and bread. So, My band is doing it's job there for me. Anyway, I eat pretty much whatever I want, and I lose pretty slowly- usually no more than 2lbs a week, except that I lose in a weird pattern and will lose 5 lbs in a week and then I'll go a couple weeks without losing and then I'll lose a few lbs again. It's really discouraging for me too, because every time I get to that point where I'm not losing for a couple of weeks I think "Well, this is it. It's over." But, in reality it just takes my body a while to readjust to the loss.

In the food Dept. I eat lots of chicken. Mostly grilled. Fried every once in a while. chicken wings are particularly good for me because they take a long time to eat...and I take the time to chew them better than if I'm eating a chicken breast. I eat steak sometimes and things like spaghetti -- I have to be careful with my Pasta though! Mostly I find myself eating Salads and things like coleslaw or corn for my side dishes at restaurants. When I'm at home I eat lots of Chicken or tuna salad & crackers. Sometimes I'll have hummus or pimento cheese, but not too often.

I think you probably might want to have some more ccs put in when you have a fill. Will your Dr. do fills under Fluro? That really helped me get to a good spot quickly! If your Dr. wont, I suggest finding one who will! Under fluro they can accurately fill your band without the guesswork!

Good luck!! Try not to beat yourself up! This is a long process. My Dr. told me not to worry about losing quickly. It will come off....just be patient!

Korilynn...thank you so much for your reply. I really don't think overdoing the exercise is my problem but I like your idea about the incline and will definitely try that! I know a lot of it is eating for me. I'm not eating terribly but I don't always make the best choices. You're right I am not gaining...after my last fill I lost about 4 lbs and then I play with those 4 lbs each week. I did the same thing with my last fill. I go back next week and will talk to my dr. He does fills more based on what is working for the majority of his patients than a case by case basis. I really like my dr...so I may just have to put up with it until I get to the right restriction. I don't know if he does them under flouro...he never has before...I will talk with him more next week. Thanks again for your response...and may I say you may only be losing 2 lbs a week but you are doing great!!:)