Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is Everybody Doing? What's New?

Had an AWESOME NSV last night. I had ordered myself 2 pairs of my favorite jeans. I've been wearing a 22, so I ordered one pair size 22 and one pair of size 20. Well, it looks like the 22's will be returned because the 20's FIT! YAY! I've gone from pants size 24 sometimes 26 down to a 20!!! So excited about it! :) I'm also down to a 1x top - I used to wear a 3x top! I just had to share!

Korilynn ~ Awesome NSV!! :clap: I'm sure you feel and look great! I've been wearing clothes from the smaller sizes in my closet (I'm still trying not to spend a whole on new clothes just yet). It feels both awesome and odd to pull on jeans that I distinctly remember not being able to wear comfortably and now have them be so baggy. LoL. Congrats again!

JPT ~ How are you doing? Are you able to eat better? What's your favorite Protein drink? I'm always looking for new ones, since I get bored of the same old things. I still drink Lean Body for Her (chocolate is my favorite), Muscle Milk Light (chocolate), and Click Mocha, but I bought some RTD (ready to drink) Premier Protein shakes to have on hand at work, since my days lately have been INSANE -- I'm not crazy about them, but they aren't the worst and their counts are good. Plus, as RTD shakes go they were fairly inexpensive (about $16 per dozen at Sam's Club) -- 30 g Protein, 3 g fat, 5 g carbs, 3 g Fiber, and 160 calories. I try to drink one shake a day (usually replacing Breakfast or lunch) and do meals for the other days.

Since my second fill, I'm having more mini-stuck episodes (you know that feeling when you've taken too big a bite and it sits in your chest). I haven't thrown up, but just get up and walk around taking sips of Water until it goes down. Totally a horrible feeling.

Question for you all -- do you eat only 3 meals a day or do you snack? I find on days when I work out hard, I get a bit hungry afterwards -- so I have a shake or a small snack (low carb crackers with cheese, Protein Bar, etc.). My doctor really doesn't want his patients to snack, but there are days when I think I need it -- and I'm still adhering to 1200 calories a day as best as I can (some days a little under and some a little over). Also, any of you low carbing?

Hope everybody is doing well! Keep in touch, and have a great day! :D

So sorry to hear you're getting stuck! I have only been stuck once (knock wood. ) I ate popcorn and that was a big ouch! I won't be having any more popcorn! Everything else goes down ok so far. Sometimes I will get a burning sensation or feel like my mouth is watering a lot. I think that is my signal to stop eating. Does anyone else get it? Otherwise I have a hard time knowing when to stop eating... Very bad I know. I will eat my whole tea plate sized portion if I don't get the burning sensation. I feel like I am still eating too much in a sitting, but it is so hard to eat such tiny amounts and feel satisfied.

My calories have been in the 900-1200 range. I find that if I drink a Protein shake or a slim fast for a Meal Replacement I consume WAY more calories in the day. Does anyone else notice that? I do so much better if I just have a scrambled egg or whatever for Breakfast. I also get more hungry when I work out than when I don't. I've been burning 400-600 calories at the gym depending on my time and if I'm feeling energetic or not. When I come home from the gym I try to eat a handful of nuts or something with some Protein to fill me up.

I am wondering...How does everyone know when to stop eating? How do you just push your plate away before you feel full? It's so hard for me. I'm afraid I'm going to stretch my pouch...

Korilynn ~ I think I'm the opposite of you on the Protein shake -- when I have a shake replace a meal, my calories are usually lower and it helps to keep my Protein up. Plus, I'm rarely hungry after having a shake -- holds me well until my next meal. I guess we are all different. :) On eating -- I consume about a cup of food per meal or an 11 oz. shake. I measure things out and use my kitchen scale to portion, however if I do get "soft stop" signals from my band -- hiccups, burps, etc. I will stop eating and either pack up my meal for leftovers or toss it -- so far it has worked, and I am either full when I finish my portioned meal or full before I finish. Unlike before I was banded, I never stuff myself to the point that I'm overly full anymore...I think that would be a horrible feeling with the band.

Knock on wood, I haven't thrown up with the band yet. My stuck episodes tend to occur more in the morning since the nutritionist advised me to eat something -- I think my band is tighter in the a.m. So, instead of eating I've been having a cup of hot tea or coffee and then a shake about an hour later. That has seemed to work well for me.

Your workouts sound really intense -- that's an awesome amount of calories that you are burning! What are you doing? I'm starting to try running again...well, very slow jogging mixed with walking (jog 1 mile, walk 1 mile, etc.). I'm trying to do that 4 times a week and build up to regular jogging 3 miles 4 x's a week. For my birthday, my husband got me a Polar watch to keep up with my workouts (counts calories burned and heart rate) and I've started with that this week -- so far, I love it. :)

It's been quiet on here -- hope you guys are all okay -- check in when you can!

The weight is FINALLY starting to come off! I've been losing about 1-2 lbs a week consistently since a few weeks ago. I am so psyched!

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well! I am curious what Protein Shakes you all are drinking? I haven't found any I just love. Have muscle milk light and that's not bad. I go back for my second fill on Wednesday and I can't wait. I am not doing as well as all of you and it's a little frustrating! Having a hard time getting the exercise in but am about to be on summer vacation so will have lots of time to get a routine going. Anyhow, will check back in soon. Oh and I didn't have them feeling around for the port with the needle...ouch...but the popping sound when they get it in there is a weird one. Sounds like they've popped an organ....or they're letting the air outta me :) LOL

Glad to hear everyone is doing so well! I am curious what Protein shakes you all are drinking? I haven't found any I just love. Have muscle milk light and that's not bad. I go back for my second fill on Wednesday and I can't wait. I am not doing as well as all of you and it's a little frustrating! Having a hard time getting the exercise in but am about to be on summer vacation so will have lots of time to get a routine going. Anyhow, will check back in soon. Oh and I didn't have them feeling around for the port with the needle...ouch...but the popping sound when they get it in there is a weird one. Sounds like they've popped an organ....or they're letting the air outta me :) LOL

sophinator, exercise was the key for me. I have been exercising since day 1, but it took a LONG time for my body's metabolism to rev up enough to finally feel the effects of it. That has a lot to do with my age (40) and my sedentary life prior to lap-band, but it also has a lot to do with my very sluggish thyroid.

Just walking 30 minutes at a decent pace (doesn't have to be brisk--just has to be enough to get your heart rate up just a little) every other day will hike up your metabolism significantly over the course of 2 months. You can do it!!

Thanks Texas...you may have just inspired me to go walk on my treadmill :) I know it will help it is just a matter of getting in the habit. Would be good to find someone to walk with...that's why I think during the summer it will be easier because the schedule is a little clearer. I'm right there with you on the age...42 here so I know that is also a factor but I refuse to let that stop me...I'm still 25 in my head so I just need the body to come down a few years :) Thanks again I'm going to go hit the treadmill now! :)

Thanks Texas...you may have just inspired me to go walk on my treadmill :) I know it will help it is just a matter of getting in the habit. Would be good to find someone to walk with...that's why I think during the summer it will be easier because the schedule is a little clearer. I'm right there with you on the age...42 here so I know that is also a factor but I refuse to let that stop me...I'm still 25 in my head so I just need the body to come down a few years :) Thanks again I'm going to go hit the treadmill now! :)

You go girl!!

To answer your earlier Protein shake question, I use two different kinds: Lifetime Fitness' Fastfuel Complete (Chocolate) http://shop.lifetimefitness.com/Nutritional-Products/Chocolate-FastFuel-Complete-1234_2285-opt.aspx . It is EXCELLENT. It is a HUGE container and will last you a loooong time. I just use it with my mootopia and some crushed ice in a single smoothie blender (mine is a Hamilton Beach I found at Target for $15). It has a good, chocolatey flavor and reminds me of the oldschool Alba 77 shakes. Yum.

When I am in a hurry on Tuesdays and Thursdays (trainer days at the gym) I drink a pre-made Atkins shake (Milk or Dark Chocoate). I love them super, super cold and they fill me up really well. I love my gym days because my mornings are busy, busy, busy, and I have no time to think about food until at least noon. LOL.

TexasMama ~ I'm so happy that all of your hard work and dedication is paying off! I knew that it would! Your new endo sounds like they have a great plan for you. :) 1-2 lbs. a week is awesome!! I'm right in there with you and Soph on age, and I do think it factors in a lot with weight loss. For my journey so far, I think really watching carbs, calories in/out, and Protein have been key. I haven't tried the premade Atkins shakes -- I'll have to get some for days when I'm on the run (which is most days -- LoL). What kinds of workouts are you doing? I need to try to vary mine a bit -- I don't think I'm getting enough strength training in...all right on the cardio, but slacking on the rest. Do you take classes or just work out 1-1 with your PT?

Soph ~ I hear you about being 25 in your mind! :D I guess I thought I'd feel different for some reason, but I haven't. I'm actually feeling much better than I have in several years -- more energy and focus on enjoying life. Stick with the treadmill -- it's a lifesaver in the summer -- and gives you a great workout with just walking. I usually put in a movie or catch up on some reading while walking...or just try to keep up and not fall off if I'm running. LoL. :lol:

Not much excitng with me, I've had a horrible summer cold for the past week end haven't worked out much at all. On a different topic, I don't know if any of you experienced it, but I had a crazy time with hair loss after banding, and I think it has finally started slowing down. Luckily, I had some extra to lose but it still made me a little nervous. My doctor said that it happens to some people and not to others, but it should subside within 6 months. Anybody have any new tips, tricks, or recipes they would like to share? Or find any cool new products? I found a snack that I put in my lunch that is pretty good called Just the cheese (http://www.specialch...com/bakedch.htm). It's kind of like a cross between cheese and a rice cracker, but it's baked cheese that's crunchy, low carb, high Protein, and fairly decent for snacking or adding to lunch (I sometimes have it with Soup or salads).

Well, hope you all are having a great week. I've got to knock out this cold and get back to working out...I've actually missed it! :D

I'm feeling really disappointed today. I haven't lost anything in over a week. Stupid TOM... I feel so discouraged when this happens every month. I'm stuck at a 41lb loss and my band buddy just hit the 50lb mark. Makes me feel like I'm not doing good. I wish I could go to the gym to get rid of some of my stress but I sprained my ankle on saturday and need to take it easy for a couple more days so it can heal. :(

Korilynn ~ Don't be discouraged! 41 lbs is an AMAZING amount of weight to have lost -- you should be proud and Celebrate every pound you are down. Plateaus are tough, but heal up your ankle, and get back to workouts when you are ready. I know you'll do great! :)

P.S. TOMs are always a pain...my weight fluctuates +/- 5 to 8 lbs in the days leading up to TOM. :juggle: As a major scale junkie, I have to really try to IGNORE those days. LoL.

Elle my hair has been falling out too...I thought it wasn't going to but the past few weeks I have been seeing a lot of it.:( I sure hope it stops. I have a lot too but I'd like to keep it that way!

I've walked the past two days and plan on it again tonight...think I need someone to hold me accountable...that's not my husband anyway because then I just get irritated with him lol

Kori..if it makes you feel any better I've been playing with the same two pounds for six weeks! I doubt that helps but hey you're not alone! :)

Thanks Elle! I was down a lb this morning. So I'm getting there...it is just so discouraging when the scale doesn't move for a week or more! I'm a scale junkie too! But it is hard to ignore it sometimes! Sometimes you just gotta have a pity-party and get it out of your system!

Soph,

Thanks! That does actually make me feel better. Try working out if you can...Even just a 30 minute brisk walk will help with your plateau. They are sooo evil. Plateaus should be outlawed. :)

My hair is falling out big time again. It stopped for a bit, but has been falling out pretty badly for about 3 weeks now. I have very thin hair so it's really bad for me! I hate it!

I am debating whether to go for a fill... I just had one on the 21st of May, but I am back to being able to eat a plate full in a sitting. There's no way its just a cup of food... I'm averaging about 1500 cals a day again...so I really think I need to go back. I have heard people say that it takes a few weeks for a fill to kick in..but that hasn't been the case for me. I'm trying to decide what to do!

Thanks Elle! I was down a lb this morning. So I'm getting there...it is just so discouraging when the scale doesn't move for a week or more! I'm a scale junkie too! But it is hard to ignore it sometimes! Sometimes you just gotta have a pity-party and get it out of your system!

Soph,

Thanks! That does actually make me feel better. Try working out if you can...Even just a 30 minute brisk walk will help with your plateau. They are sooo evil. Plateaus should be outlawed. :)

My hair is falling out big time again. It stopped for a bit, but has been falling out pretty badly for about 3 weeks now. I have very thin hair so it's really bad for me! I hate it!

I am debating whether to go for a fill... I just had one on the 21st of May, but I am back to being able to eat a plate full in a sitting. There's no way its just a cup of food... I'm averaging about 1500 cals a day again...so I really think I need to go back. I have heard people say that it takes a few weeks for a fill to kick in..but that hasn't been the case for me. I'm trying to decide what to do!

Hey! Down a pound! Good for you. I had a pity-party through the entire month of May so I TOTALLY understand. We are all going to have some weeks that are better than others no doubt!!

I too am debating about a fill. Though I sometimes still have issues with food, I am starting to get hungrier between meals and I am probably definitely hitting 1500 cals now. I need to JOURNAL all my food intake. I think it is soooo important so I can see what I am doing wrong and what I am doing RIGHT! :)

My doc said I should be able to eat the equivalent of a Happy Meal's worth of food. For those that don't know, that's 4 nuggets and a small fry. Not that we should be EATING Happy Meals lol, just the size of the food. Well, I'm eating that at dinner no prob. I might be eating a little more than that sometimes. So I probably need to check in with the nurse and see what she thinks.

I also have to cut down even more on the sugar and STOP the dependency on Crystal Light. I need to drink more pure Water. I am positive that will help tremendously.

My doc says: if you're losing (even a tiny bit), and you're not throwing up, and you're not feeling true hunger in between meals, then you're IN THE ZONE! :D