Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How is Everybody Doing? What's New?

Korilynn ~ How did your fill go, and how are you feeling -- more restriction or about the same? You are doing great! :) I am going in for my second fill next week -- my doctor is pretty conservative, so I'll probably get 1 cc (same as last time). Give or take a pound or two, I'm sitting on a plateau. I've been really diligent about sticking to 1200 calories and at least 65 grams of Protein per day, and exercising at least 30 minutes every day (I try for 60, but life sometimes gets in the way with my work schedule and the kids schedules). What kind of work outs are you doing? I'm walking/slow jogging either outside or on the treadmill and taking zumba classes. If I can get over my personal phobia of bathing suits :scared: , I would like to try swimming since it gets super hot and humid where I live.

Erynkkgrl ~ Hi! I haven't noticed any restriction changes closer to AF arriving, but I do notice the Water gain which comes and goes quickly with it. Is your port angled? Did your doctor install it? I've heard that they can sometimes twist.

Loozer2b ~ You're doing great -- congrats on the NSVs! I love hearing stuff like that from my fellow bandsters! I hear you on the busy family schedules -- sometimes I think my kids have a busier social life than I do -- and they are still really pretty young. LoL. Do you think you've hit your sweet spot? With this last fill, I felt like I had almost less restriction than before the fill -- sometimes it's almost like I don't have a band, and then I won't chew enough and I'll have a moment where the food goes down slowly and uncomfortably...KWIM?

How are the rest of you doing? I hope everyone is well! :D

My Dr's office screwed up and didn't have me scheduled for my fill today. It's a good thing I emailed them yesterday and found out they messed up! It's a 2 hour drive to my Dr's and I would have been soo mad if I went all that way for nothing! So, They are rescheduling me...I don't know when I'll go though yet. I really need a fill! I've been eating about 1500 calories this week and feel like a fill would help soooo much! I'm always hungry about 2 hours after I eat now. so I know I need a fill!

I've been doing 60 mins on the treadmill doing "intervals" I walk at a medium pace, but I increase the incline. My speed is about a 2.8 or a 3. and then I do an incline of 2, 4, 7, 4, 8, 4, 9. It burns about 550 calories in an hour...so Pretty intense. I have started to really enjoy working out and look forward to it everyday. I think it makes such a big difference now that I have the band. I know that if I exercise I'll see results! And I've lost 3 lbs since my post last week. It was pretty hard being on that plateau for 3 weeks. I hope it doesn't happen again for a while!!

Korilynn -- I'm glad that you checked on your appointment -- saved you time and gas money. I am feeling much like you -- looking forward to my daily workout, but hungrier between meals. Yeah! For the workouts. Boo! For the hunger. I've started snacking more, but some may be from more calories burned, but I do need a fill. I hope your doctor gets you in soon. :)

Loozer2be -- KWIM is "know what I mean" -- sorry about that. I think I shorthand too much sometimes. Lol.

Question for you all -- do your doctors numb your site before fills? Mine doesn't, and I didn't know that before my first fill. It was fine, and only like an uncomfortable pinch. However, this time around as my second fill approaches, I'm getting kind of nervous. Strange, I know.

Also, is anyone out here low carbing? I'm trying, but haven't been totally successful this last week. I'm staying. Track with a lories and Protein, but my carbs have been creeping up lately. Just curious if anyone wanted to share some tips. :). Have a great evening you guys!

I had typed a long post/reply the other day and POOF it went. ARGH!

Anyway, I have been having some weird things happening with my band... Anyone find that sometimes they can eat a normal amt and then other times it is three bites and I'm ready to vomit. I know that if a solid Protein is eaten first, I can't eat much. But then I had some couscous and I figured it would go down easily...nope! WTH?

Sometimes I feel like it would just be easier to live on the Protein drinks and forget about trying to eat at all! :angry:

Exercise...NOT. Mad at myself about that.

Hey Elle, how tall are you? I'm thiking we are very close to same weight situation.

JPT

Korilynn -- I'm glad that you checked on your appointment -- saved you time and gas money. I am feeling much like you -- looking forward to my daily workout, but hungrier between meals. Yeah! For the workouts. Boo! For the hunger. I've started snacking more, but some may be from more calories burned, but I do need a fill. I hope your doctor gets you in soon. :)

Loozer2be -- KWIM is "know what I mean" -- sorry about that. I think I shorthand too much sometimes. Lol.

Question for you all -- do your doctors numb your site before fills? Mine doesn't, and I didn't know that before my first fill. It was fine, and only like an uncomfortable pinch. However, this time around as my second fill approaches, I'm getting kind of nervous. Strange, I know.

Also, is anyone out here low carbing? I'm trying, but haven't been totally successful this last week. I'm staying. Track with a lories and Protein, but my carbs have been creeping up lately. Just curious if anyone wanted to share some tips. :). Have a great evening you guys!

JPT ~ That EXACT thing happens to me -- some meals I feel like "geesh...no banded person should be able to eat that much, right?!" and then other meals I can only get in a few bites before I start feeling full and getting soft stop messages like burping (especially with grilled chicken breast...and the chicken fajitas I love so much). I kind of chalked it up to why my doctor and the nutritionist said to always eat the solid Protein first -- 1.) To get in the Protein count and 2.) Because it fills you up faster and makes you eat less. On Protein shakes -- I do use them on days when I know I'll have a higher caloric meal and for something quick in the morning (I LOVE Click Mocha shakes...coffee and protein...heaven!). :Banane11:

I was just thinking that we are running about the same on our weight loss/goals too. I'm 5'8" -- you? My doctor set my goal weight as 150-155, but personally I'd be happy to be able to maintain 160-165.

Got it Elle...lol. No numbing here... I hardly feel a thing during fills.....as far as low carbing....yes, but the band is making me.... I have a hard time with breads, noodles and rice.... So it's easy to steer clear... Still do baked potatos though...and occasionally dark chocolate peanut m&ms... My office buddy has them on hand alot!!!! Darn her anyway! Lol

i also get that shoulder pain thingie...loverly! lol

i went out to dinner tonight with dh...about four mouthfuls of Soup, two bites of salad and about half a seafood canneloni. i went thru the meal without excusing myself and barfing! oy!

drank too much red wine though... not good.

ive been into isoflex choc/pb flavor lately.

they measured me at 5ft 6 inches but i have always thought i was an inch taller. maybe i shrunk? my goal is 145. i'm around 188 right now. so i need to los around 40 lbs. i was 120 in my 20s. i graduated hs at 111! thin all my life until i had my babies in my thirties,

to be young and skinny again... sigh...:D

i

JPT ~ That EXACT thing happens to me -- some meals I feel like "geesh...no banded person should be able to eat that much, right?!" and then other meals I can only get in a few bites before I start feeling full and getting soft stop messages like burping (especially with grilled chicken breast...and the chicken fajitas I love so much). I kind of chalked it up to why my doctor and the nutritionist said to always eat the solid Protein first -- 1.) To get in the Protein count and 2.) Because it fills you up faster and makes you eat less. On protein shakes -- I do use them on days when I know I'll have a higher caloric meal and for something quick in the morning (I LOVE Click Mocha shakes...coffee and protein...heaven!). :Banane11:

I was just thinking that we are running about the same on our weight loss/goals too. I'm 5'8" -- you? My doctor set my goal weight as 150-155, but personally I'd be happy to be able to maintain 160-165.

Texas Mama ~ How do you like your Polar? I'm debating getting the watch (FT4, I think?). Do you use it daily? I just have to debate if I want to spend the $$$ (although, it will probably make me use it more). I have faith in you that you will hit your goals soon -- you are determined and are doing all of the right things. :)

I love my Polar. I have the RS300. I use it every day. I also did the VO2 test at the gym to personalize my results more.

I have been really struggling. First of all, I have finally stopped productive burping on almost everything, but that is mainly because I have figured out what I can and can't eat. It is depressing that I can't eat salad, my favorite thing. I can eat plenty of carbs though--so I have to be very careful and watch what I am doing.

I have been working my CAN off. I've paid another $1500K in personal training. I'm taking in roughly 1000-1200 calories a day. I use my Polar to figure out how many calories I burn a day. I am drinking plenty. Yet in this very thread, I posted on May 4 that I was down to 270. Well effin-A, it is May 19 and I've only lost TWO MORE POUNDS?!?! Something is not right. I do not understand this and I am so frustrated I can't see straight. My doctors office is unfortunately not much help--they are very kind, but they think I need another fill and I don't think so AT ALL. I could barely eat last month. I'm just now where I feel like I can eat and keep it down.

I just want to cry.

TexasMama ~ (((HUGS))) Please don't feel so down! It definitely doesn't sound like you need a fill, since you were having so many PBs and trouble eating. Does your doctor's office have a nutritionist or does your gym? I find that keeping a diary (I write down EVERYTHING that I put in my mouth -- even zero calorie stuff like Truvia sweetener) helps me, and I sometimes meet with the nutritionist to go over what I've eaten. I tend to gain or stall when I take in too many carbs (I can also see and/or feel signs of my insulin resistance flaring up), so I do better on lower carbs. Also, the nutritionist mentioned that since I am exercising more, I may have to take in more calories so that my body doesn't think it is in "starvation" mode (earlier in banding, I was struggling to take in 800-1000 calories a day, but now I hold fast to 1200 and sometimes slightly over). Do you take any type of thyroid medication? Sometimes that has a lot to do with it -- a girl I met at my bariatric surgeon's office has thyroid issues, and she had to have her synthroid dosage changed before the weight started really coming off. Just my 2 cents. I hate hearing you so discouraged -- the scale is moving in the right direction and you, my dear, are working your tail off. Celebrate that -- and how much of your life you have changed. :)

Thanks for the information on the Polar. I think I will get one. I'd like to know how many calories I burn more exactly during workouts. My treadmill has a counter, but when I'm outside I just kind of calculate it the best that I can.

JPT ~ Gosh, I can relate to the "body before babies"...really. I had my kids in my 30s as well and although I was never skinny by any stretch of the imagination, I was a lot healthier than where I started with the band. I haven't tried isoflex -- where do you get it? I'm always looking for good shake recommendations -- they are yummy after workouts to up my daily Protein counts. Your shoulder pain sounds like it could be from the original surgery -- I don't recall, but did you have a hiatal hernia repair? I did and that was the source of my shoulder pain. It has gone away for me, unless I eat something really acidic to my stomach...sangria did it for me last weekend.

Loozer2be ~ Gosh, one of my kryptonite foods is peanutbutter M&Ms...had to take all of those from the kids' Easter baskets and give them away or I would have binged...BIG TIME. LoL. How many carbs do you take in a day? I try to stay below 60, but should probably make it lower than that. I just need to find an amount that I can live with for life.

Question to you all ~ Are any of you having hair loss? I am..a lot, and although from what I read it is normal...it's still a little nervewracking to see go down the shower drain. Just curious.

Texasmama,

I agree with Elle; your thyroid has to be majorly malfunctioning or something! You are doing SO WELL. You are working out like a champ, eating very low calories...you should be losing more! I feel badly for you!

I am soooo proud of your exercise commitment. I need to get some of that over here!!

BUT, you are still losing so don't be too down on yourself. I recall that you do have thyroid issues...any chance of getting meds adjusted?

Elle,

I get all my Protein powder from a small place in town that athletes AND wls folks go to. ZERO carbs! Do you have a place like that? I also drink ISO 100.

Yes, I did have a much better bod in my youth but I didn't appreciate it! I constantly thought I was fat once I exceeded 120...therefore more than half of my life. I will be 47 in a couple of weeks and I spent my 30s and now most of my 40s being overweight or obese.

I'm feeling much better now health wise and I know I look better than I did pre-surgery. I need to keep working on myself and my food addiction issues. I am very grateful that I really cant eat too much lately or I would be up to my old tricks.

Now to get myself exercising!

I love my Polar. I have the RS300. I use it every day. I also did the VO2 test at the gym to personalize my results more.

I have been really struggling. First of all, I have finally stopped productive burping on almost everything, but that is mainly because I have figured out what I can and can't eat. It is depressing that I can't eat salad, my favorite thing. I can eat plenty of carbs though--so I have to be very careful and watch what I am doing.

I have been working my CAN off. I've paid another $1500K in personal training. I'm taking in roughly 1000-1200 calories a day. I use my Polar to figure out how many calories I burn a day. I am drinking plenty. Yet in this very thread, I posted on May 4 that I was down to 270. Well effin-A, it is May 19 and I've only lost TWO MORE POUNDS?!?! Something is not right. I do not understand this and I am so frustrated I can't see straight. My doctors office is unfortunately not much help--they are very kind, but they think I need another fill and I don't think so AT ALL. I could barely eat last month. I'm just now where I feel like I can eat and keep it down.

I just want to cry.

I had my second fill yesterday. It went all right, except the nurse that did it wasn't very good at locating my port and dug the needle around in my abdomen for awhile, so I'm a little bruised today. :prrr:

My doctor is very conservative, and felt that I'm doing well so he only had her add .5 cc to my band, which gives me 3.5 cc total (he said that my fills would most likely be .5 cc's from here on out). I went over my food journal with the nutritionist and she said it was good, and told me that I should add more Protein to my breakfasts (that's where I have the most problems, since my band is tighter in the morning...I usually only have a cup of coffee or tea, since Hot drinks help me the best). The nutritionist actually said to have a slice of whole grain toast with almond butter, olive oil butter, or something like that...I guess I'll give it a try, even though I'm trying to keep my food intake lower carb.

Other than that, nothing much to report. How are all of you doing?

Well. I had my 2nd fill on Saturday. He did it under Fluro and I ended up getting a BIG fill. He put in 2.9ccs so now I have 7.9 in my 10cc band. I was supposed to be on luquids all this week, but I have failed miserably. I made it 48 hours before I had to eat something. I've been trying to stick to mushies, but today I had a little bit of grilled chicken and it went down fine. (Thank God!) I think I'm going to be right where I need to be with this fill. I was satisfied eating less than a tea-plate sized portion. (YAY!!! )

In other news, I have lost 40 lbs since surgery day!!! Such a big deal to me! I'm so proud of myself... I get teary just thinking about it!

NSV wise I've dropped 2 almost 3 dress sizes and cleaned out my closet which was bittersweet. I can't wait to see what happens in the coming months!

How's everyone else doing?

Korilynn,

CONGRATULATIONS on your 40 lb loss! I am very happy for you!!

I did the closet purge recently, too. At the same time I replaced all of my hangers with those velvet/thin ones. They are not expensive (I got mine at TJ maxx and also Walmart has them) and they make such a difference in my closet! The amt of space it frees up is amazing! Also, nothing falls off the hangers anymore! Yeah!

I wish I knew what ccs were in my band. They don't tell me this. I hate when they dig around looking for the port. It was like that the first time I got it done. Now I can even feel my port so they find it easier. I still think the sensation is kinda creepy! lol

You should be wayyy proud! WTG on your NSV, too!!!

jpt

Well. I had my 2nd fill on Saturday. He did it under Fluro and I ended up getting a BIG fill. He put in 2.9ccs so now I have 7.9 in my 10cc band. I was supposed to be on luquids all this week, but I have failed miserably. I made it 48 hours before I had to eat something. I've been trying to stick to mushies, but today I had a little bit of grilled chicken and it went down fine. (Thank God!) I think I'm going to be right where I need to be with this fill. I was satisfied eating less than a tea-plate sized portion. (YAY!!! )

In other news, I have lost 40 lbs since surgery day!!! Such a big deal to me! I'm so proud of myself... I get teary just thinking about it!

NSV wise I've dropped 2 almost 3 dress sizes and cleaned out my closet which was bittersweet. I can't wait to see what happens in the coming months!

How's everyone else doing?

Elle,

You are doing so well! I need to get going on exercise. I'm ashamed that I keep saying it but not doing it!!

I hate that digging around feeling, too! EWWWWWW

The high Protein definitely helps. I drop so quickly when I am doing the Protein drinks properly and low carbin it. I'm anxious to drop a few extra lbs before my birthday next month so I'm trying to stick to the Protein Drinks almost exclusively right now. Also, tbh, eating food and only eating a bite or two before getting full is getting annoying!! I can eat a tiny bit more if it is something like macaroni. I can eat a cup of Soup. If it is Protein, forget it. Two bites and I can puke! Oy!

jpt

I had my second fill yesterday. It went all right, except the nurse that did it wasn't very good at locating my port and dug the needle around in my abdomen for awhile, so I'm a little bruised today. :prrr:

My doctor is very conservative, and felt that I'm doing well so he only had her add .5 cc to my band, which gives me 3.5 cc total (he said that my fills would most likely be .5 cc's from here on out). I went over my food journal with the nutritionist and she said it was good, and told me that I should add more protein to my breakfasts (that's where I have the most problems, since my band is tighter in the morning...I usually only have a cup of coffee or tea, since Hot Drinks help me the best). The nutritionist actually said to have a slice of whole grain toast with almond butter, olive oil butter, or something like that...I guess I'll give it a try, even though I'm trying to keep my food intake lower carb.

Other than that, nothing much to report. How are all of you doing?