Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Having my surgery on May 9th with a BMI of 32, and co mobidities

I am scheduled for surgery on May 9th with Dr. Ren. I am scared and wondering what this will be like. I need to lose weight, and this is my only option now. I have high blood pressure, pre diabetic, and back problems so I can't exercise. Any body else like me ?? Let me know what your experience was like, I am so curious. TIA

You will love it. I got off blood pressure meds at 15 pounds loss. I am almost completly off my C-Pap machine. That will be a great day!!! Fear at this stage is normal, don't sweat it. You will be surprised how easy it will go. Do EVERYTHING the doc says and you will be on your way to the new sexy you. It is possible, you do deserve it and I have not one single regret. My journey has had ups and downs like everyone else, but it is still the hope that keep me alive. You will soon be doing exercise, I am actully addicted to it now and that is a good thing. I recently had a knee injury and it is killing me to not work out. My divorce took a huge toll on me and my lap band, but I have emerged a winner and am still going. Ask anything and I will answer. I do not know everything, but I can give you some great insight since I BEEN THERE AND LOST THAT. Have no fear it is all good from here on out!! Keep asking and keep posting. Read as much as you can on here. I read from the front to the back of the sight i was on when I started my journey. Life is fabulous with every melting pound. I am very passionate about this and want to help you succeed. So you have my attention, waht you got????

I am not like you in any way, but just wanted to say that my surgery is May 4th, with Dr. Fielding, sooooooo our doctors are in the same office. that's something B)

I would say I am very similar to you. BMI 32 with comorbiites and banded one week! Good luck

You wont have nothing to worry about!! I to was a nervous wreck.. I had NEVER ever had surgery before, besides having my twins by c-section, but I had never been put to sleep in my life.... that was what I was more worried about. I woke up after surgery and I had so much gas on me , that it did feel like I couldnt catch my breath, but other than that, everything went ok!!!! the first couple of days will be your hardest with moving around. But please dont be scared, I had to keep tellng myself and my family members that I need to do this to make myself healthier, it was more scarier to know that I had so many health problems, then being scared of having this surgery and make myself better!!!!! just think of it like that! .... I have severe arthritis in my knees and really bad back problems , so I know where your coming from!!!! I was banded on April 15th this yr.... I go tomorrow for my POST op Apt with my Dr, so I am awaiting to get my first fill and cant wait !!!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!! Hope this helps some :)

I am scheduled for surgery on May 9th with Dr. Ren. I am scared and wondering what this will be like. I need to lose weight, and this is my only option now. I have high blood pressure, pre diabetic, and back problems so I can't exercise. Any body else like me ?? Let me know what your experience was like, I am so curious. TIA

Oh wow, you guys really are making me feel so much better, I am still scared, but I will use this site for support. Thank you !! Now, how do I set up those weight loss charts you guys have....yes, I am totally computer illiterate..lol

BMI 37; Diabetes; High Blood Pressure: High Cholestrol; Arthritis (bad right knee); 51 years old and tired of the "yo-yo" life of down 10-15 lbs and back up again. Been to a seminar, and have an appointment with the surgeon on the 14th. Really scared, even though as a nurse, my research shows this to be safe and a "good choice" for me. I have read most of the forums on this site (part of my research) for the past few months!! It is what made me finally make it to a seminar! Thanks for all of the support, I will write again after my appointment. (by then maybe I can get one of the little wt loss ticker thingy's on my site also)!!;)

I have only just decided on the Lap Band procedure to help me lose weight. My reason for doing so is because I have severe osteo-arthritis in both of my knees. I have already had one surgery in Nov '10. My (ortho) surgeon informed me that I 'need' both knees completely replaced :blink: but, he refuses to do so since I am only 36yo. Well, carrying around this extra 100lbs is not fun for me. My legs and knees hurt all day, every day. I also have lower back issues.

I wish you well.

I am quite similar to you...By BMI is 32 and I go in on May 6th....best of luck to us both and to a new slimmer healthier you..(and me) LOLsmile.gif

I'm new to the site..... I still am in the process of reading everything here...... This site has given me sow much strength... My appt with the DR in on wed.... I live in Santa fe and have to go to Denver for my lap band I have been a yo yo dieter all my life. I have the 4 sizes of clothes in the closet.......I promised myself when I start to lose I will throw away all the fat clothes.... My bmi is 39.9 and I have. Spinal cord injury........ That makes walking way harder...... I think the injury and the fact I have had to deal with united for one and a half years they approved me right away.........so wish me luck... When things are so easy you wonder if the other shoe will drop. Lol. Hugs to all. I'm looking to be a part of this new family

Hi everyone....im looking for some info about gastric band were is the cheapest and safest.

I was looking into having it fitted here in dublin but the cost is 8000+....which is way out of my zone.

So i hear a lot of people are choosing brussels....has anyone any sucess with going away as im worried about after care and having fills done..

Hi "e"--

I live in Central NY. My BMI is 35 and I have co-morbidities of diabetes (with complications), hyperlipidemia, and some other more minor obesity related issues. I have my seminar and consulation with the surgeon this Wednesday the 11th. I will need to get insurance approval prior to booking the procedure-- and will need nutritional and psych consults for insurance approval as well. But hoping to get the surgery in August before I go back to school (I teach).

Its hard to find others with the lower BMI's on the forum. "E" will your insurance cover your surgery with such a low BMI? Mine only covers 35 and above with co-morbidities. I'm hoping the insurance companies will lower their criteria now that the FDA approved lap band for 30 and above with co-morbidities. I hope NIH changes their criteria because thats what the insurance companies go by.

I wish you all the best with your journey. I will be watching for updates.

:)

First of all, congratulations on getting approved, and best of luck with your procedure. Six months ago I was in almost exactly your situation: approved for the surgey with a BMI of 31 and co-morbidities (severe asthma and sleep apnea, chronic back pain, and pre-diabetic). I was very scared the surgery wouldn't help me enough because I also had difficulty exercising, and I thought that would make the post-op regimen ineffective. Boy, was I wrong! I've lost 60 pounds since the operation, and I'm just 5 pounds away from having a BMI of 25. The surgery itself is no fun -- it's laproscopic but not pain-free, so expect a few days of pain and limited mobility. But know that every moment of that pain will be worth it. Once you're on the road to health you'll barely remember the pain of those first days.

The secret to making this process work is to start out with the knowledge that the surgery won't "fix" you -- it just gives you that extra bump that allows you to stop eating when you've had enough. The most important thing is to make healthy food choices. Depending on how loose your band is at the beginning you can usually eat anything you want after the first few weeks -- that doesn't mean you should! Make substitutions whenever you can. sugar-free Jello isn't exactly ice cream, but it will satisfy your sweets cravings. Turkey burgers grilled at home are much tastier than McDonald's. Focus on getting lots of lean Protein -- fish and chicken can be prepared countless ways, with lots of delicious low-calorie sauce options. Use variety to keep from getting bored.

The exercise issue is very important, but you can start slowly -- try just walking slowly on the treadmill for 30 minutes, and work your way up from there. I promise, the more weight you lose due to eating healthy, the more progress you'll be able to make at the gym. Before the surgery just 20 minutes of walking left me winded, and forget about climbing stairs. Now I live in a 5th floor walk up (which would have killed me at 250 pounds!) and work out at the gym three times a week. The best advice I can give is to Celebrate every victory, no matter how small, and keep moving forward. This won't be a success-only journey; there will be days you gain a little, or can't make it through your work-out. There'll be days when you have a slice of a friend's birthday cake, or go out for cocktails. And that's all OK -- we live in the real world, and if you have unrealistic expectations for yourself you'll just get discouraged and eventually give up on your goals. Every time you take a step back, just resolve to yourself that you'll take two steps forward the next day. Take things day by day, and wake up every morning excited to know you'll be just a little bit healthier by the time the day ends. Best of luck on your journey!

Hi e, I am scheduled to have my surgery on May 13th, I am scared and nervous, but most of all I am soooooo excited. This is a new beging, and I want to say thank to members such as sashamarie who share thier great success storie. Sometimes you come on here and read about all these problems people are having and it makes me wonder what am I doing, then you read these great success stories, and I know that will be me. So best og luck to you, I will be thinking of you, and keep us posted on your recovery.