Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To Fill or Not to Fill

I had my first fill last week (about a week and a half ago) and I felt it wasn't enough at first. I'm scheduled for another fill this Wednesday. I'm debating on doign it or not. I've been at a stand still loss wise for about a week, and was not staying full long enough and still felt portions were too high.

Then about 2 days ago it started to change...portions are smaller, I get full quicker, and am lasting longer before I get hungry. all I've eaten today was my scrambled eggs, onion, and ham Breakfast and I started to get full before the end, a cup of tea, about 1/4 cup of Jello salad, and half a chocolate easter egg (which i know is bad but I decided to have a special treat). It's past dinnertime here and I'm still not hungry!!

The only thing going on right now is a hormone flux as I'm mid cycle and ovulated. I've heard being on yoru period can cause tightness, but what about ovulation?

I'm thinking I should go in and ask for the fill to be small...in hopes that this is some sort of hormonal swelling and that when it's over a half cc or so will keep me where I am at today?

If you are not hungry there is no need to get a fill. Also I've read that fills sometimes don't kick in for 2 weeks, why are you getting a fill so close to each other. I don't see how a fill will make you lose weight. Especially if you are not eating to much. Play around with your calories or exercise.

Sorry this is just going on things I've read, I've never had a fill

I'm in a similar situation. I don't know if I need a fill or not, appt is next week. I'm pretty sure that if I wasn't eating Protein as instructed I'd be losing nothing at all though. Since I don't really know where I should be and I"m not losing very fast, I'll probably end up with fills until one day it's too much and I need an un-fill :( At least then I'll know about where I should be I guess.

I'm scheduled for 2 weeks apart in my first two fills incase the first wasn't enough. It's only been the past few days that I feel it's working better, and I strongly suspect it's hormone related (and once that hormone swings ends I may be back to eating too large of portions and not staying satiated long enough).

It's not so much my being stalled out on weight loss that makes me want to go in for the fill. I know my body, and I know I go for days without losing at various times in my cycle...so that doesn't have me worried. I'm eating the type of diet I've been instructed to eat, have started exercising, so I know in time I will see more weight loss. What I'm basing my fill needs on has more to do with satiety (or lack of) and amounts I'm able to eat: ie 3 cups vs 1 1/2 cups per meal

Where on earth did that come from???

I'm not in any way shape or form expecting my band to do all the work. What I DO expect is to get to the "green zone" to utilize the band as a tool to the full extent to assist me in doing the hard work. My band is half full. I've only had one fill, and the goal is to get to a point where I am not hungry all the time so that I can comfortably do this work. Did you actually read my posts? I'm actually considering very hard right now wether or not I need a 2nd fill at this point, and if I decide to have one I even said I plan to ask for a SMALL fill. I think I also pretty clearly stated my reasons for opting to go ahead with the next fill t this point: to acheive satiety, not to make the scale move.

I'm just not sure how you interpreted my posts as "I'm not losing weight so I want to have the other half filled so I lose without having to do the work"

Our Lord Christ has nothing to do with it.

I asked a question that is hormone related. It has nothing to do with my weight being at a stand still. I'm happy to lose weight at a healthy, slow pace. I don't see how my getting 2 fills this soon after getting my band is "getting continuous fills." I'm at a point post-band where I am trying to get to the green zone that my surgeon wants me at. That zone including satiety & reasonable portions. Actually, my surgeon wants me in for a fill if I go 2 weeks without losing any weight, but knowing my own body and how my weight stalls according to my cycle (then resumes again) I'm not as worried about that 2 weeks without loss rule as my doctor is. I've worked very hard the past 6+ weeks, and continue to do so. My wanting to get in the green zone (and my surgeon wanting this as well) is not in any way me expecting ny more from the band that what it's purpose is, nor is it me expecting to not work hard.

The clinic I go to are the ones who advised the 2-week apart fill, unless the first was adequate. I'm only questioning it because as I have ovulated I noticed it feeling tighter and giving me better satiety & Portion Control. Funny, because today I'm not noticing the satiety lasting as long yet portion control still seems pretty good. It just happens my hormone peak is over. Yes, I posted looking for answers or advice. I haven't seen my question answered STIIL, about ovulation related tightness.

Why dont you ask your doctor????? That would be the person to ask dont you think

There's always got to be some righteous person to use this forum as an outlet for their rage. I completely knew what you were talking about, and I also didn't think you had unrealistic expectations. We are learning about our bands, and that's exactly what my surgeon said also...."we are learning". To wonder or ask if you might need a fill is normal. Grrrrrrrrr

Our Lord Christ has nothing to do with it.

I asked a question that is hormone related. It has nothing to do with my weight being at a stand still. I'm happy to lose weight at a healthy, slow pace. I don't see how my getting 2 fills this soon after getting my band is "getting continuous fills." I'm at a point post-band where I am trying to get to the green zone that my surgeon wants me at. That zone including satiety & reasonable portions. Actually, my surgeon wants me in for a fill if I go 2 weeks without losing any weight, but knowing my own body and how my weight stalls according to my cycle (then resumes again) I'm not as worried about that 2 weeks without loss rule as my doctor is. I've worked very hard the past 6+ weeks, and continue to do so. My wanting to get in the green zone (and my surgeon wanting this as well) is not in any way me expecting ny more from the band that what it's purpose is, nor is it me expecting to not work hard.

The clinic I go to are the ones who advised the 2-week apart fill, unless the first was adequate. I'm only questioning it because as I have ovulated I noticed it feeling tighter and giving me better satiety & Portion Control. Funny, because today I'm not noticing the satiety lasting as long yet portion control still seems pretty good. It just happens my hormone peak is over. Yes, I posted looking for answers or advice. I haven't seen my question answered STIIL, about ovulation related tightness.

Yes you are learning however some of the questions asked should be directed to your medical professionals not one here. How is one to know if your too tight because of ovulation that is a question for a doctor not common folk. I dont think anyone is being righteous or in rage but darn you all ask questions and when you dont get the answer you want then you assume the poster is being rude, not reading your post or having some kind of mental episode feeling the need to take it out on you. OMG ask your doctor thats what they get paid for. Furthermore since no one knows anyone here then you cant assume anything in their personality or what kind of person they are. You being rude to someone calling them righteous is just as bad if not worse than what the poster said. Its okay for you to attack people but not for someone else to put their thoughts in to the persons question. To the OP ask your doctor. SMDH

I dont know if this helps you but I get this way sometimes that I feel completely satified and then other days (when I have my period usually) i can eat all day just snack all the time.

I too am on 2 weekly visits until they get me to my sweet spot and it is just right.....

Maybe you could put your visit off for a couple more weeks and see how you go....if your appetite increases then you prob need another fill but if it stays good then you might not.

Its so hard to know what to do isnt it......I have heard (like one of the other posters said) that it can take 2 weeks for the fill to kick in but i have never had that. I am tighter for the first few days to a week after my fill then it gets easier to eat after the swelling goes down ( I must swell easily)

Marcy, I just want to mention that I am approaching my monthly, and I am very tight right now. This also happened to me last month but being it was the first time, I didn't put 2 and 2 together. I think it's very possible that hormones affect things......

Thanks for the positive feedback for those who offered it. :lol:

Ok, so I was not in any way wondering if I was TOO tight. The days preceeding and directily following ovultion I noticed I was at a GOOD tightness (not overly). I was wondering if any of the "common folk" have experienced a tighter band around ovulation. A perfectly valid question to ask others who are banded on a board. It's a question about what other "common folk" have or have not noticed. About life experience, something the surgeon is not likely to truly know about especially being a non-banded man. :huh:

I kept my appointment today. I discussed my theory with the fill nurse and she said that yes, some women are sensitive and have more swelling during their menstrual cycle and I could be one who is sensitive enough to also have this during ovulation. Because I was not staying satiated for >3 hours and my portion size is just a little bigger than goal, she agreed that a small fill was indicated...so I got an additional 1/2 cc. I just ate lunch, portion size was right on and I'm hoping to see better satiety.

lunch went well: Soup & some soft pork. And, I stayed full for 6 hours!!!:D I often notice my longest stretch is in the evening ... I just had greek yogurt with granola for dinner and it went ok too.

lunch went well: Soup & some soft pork. And, I stayed full for 6 hours!!!:D I often notice my longest stretch is in the evening ... I just had greek yogurt with granola for dinner and it went ok too.

Thats great news MarcyLoo......do you find that you can eat less for a while after a fill??

Just curious as that is what happens to me but not sure if it happens to others too.

Every day is different with me too like yesterday I was hungry and today I can eat hardly anything (although today I am a little stressed so maybe that is affecting me too??)