Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Medicines, etc. after banding

Hi! My band date isn't until June 20, but I'm trying to absorb all I can between now and then! I appreciate the feedback and support this site has offered.

I wanted to find out about medicines, OTC stuff after banding....

1. Vitamins...any suggestions? The last time I had a chewable was Flintstones brand, more than 20 years ago, and even then they tasted like flavored cardboard....gross!! Are they still that way today? Anyone tried the adult Vitamins like the Centrum, etc.? Or the gummy vitamins? I'd love to hear everyone's suggestions and ideas.

2. OTC and/or prescription painkillers....how bad do the liquids taste? I can't even drink Nyquil due to the taste so I'm worried about getting pain relief. Has anyone tried taking the children's dissolvable tylenol products? Drinking my medicines makes me gag!!! How about the gas strips that dissolve on your tongue? The only liquid I've ever been able to drink was Mylanta cherry supreme while pregnant, and I carried bottles of that in my purse to swig when needed, but it wasn't the best-tasting stuff either!!!

Anyone had the pharmacy add flavoring to your prescriptions?

3. The incision areas...are they taped or stapled after surgery? Anyone use any type of scar cream on them? I've had my gallbladder removed laproscopically and still see those scars; between those and the c-section scars, I never really saw a need to try to minimize the scars. Battle wounds...

4. Anyone use a belly band or some type of restrictive device after surgery? After my c-sections I loved that feeling of getting strapped in and secured....wasn't sure if this surgery would warrant one.

Thanks!! :)

I use Centrum chewables for my Multi Vitamin, I also take a chewable Calcium w/ Vitamin D. 2 sublingual (dissolves under the tounge) B-12's and a Chewable BeneFiber!

If I need a pain reliever I take Childrens Chewable Tylenol or Liquid... whatever I have in my house from my kids.

I used Gas X dissolvable strips after surgery... they have a minty after taste.. so your breath feels fresh!

My incisions were glued shut. With dissolvable stitches on the inside.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck

I use an adult chewable Gummy Vitamin, usually the CVS brand. I also take the Caltrate Calcium + vit D chews. After a few days, they started to taste like Tootsie Rolls, and I looked forward to my 2nd one in the evening when I felt like having something sweet. Bonus! I take Biotin daily (good for skin and hair), the brand from Walmart is a small tablet and easy to swallow. I also do the sublingual B12.

I am not a fan of liquid meds either. I take liquid Tylenol when I have to. The only antibiotic I have been prescribed since surgery, I asked for liquid because the pills are usually big. It was awful. Then my son was prescribed an antibiotic soon after and the pills were pretty tiny, and he only had to take one a day for like 5 days. So next time I'm sick, I will ask the dr. if that particular one is appropriate for me. The liquid painkiller prescribed after surgery, while not great, has tasted better than any med I have tasted since.

My incisions were glued shut and I had no problems with them. I haven't used a scar cream, but they are looking pretty good after 5 months. I didn't use anything like a belly band, but I'd be interested to know how that feels!

Best of luck to you!

Thanks dk4k and Mandyb! I will write down your suggestions and look for them the next time I'm at the store. I really appreciate it!

I use an adult chewable Gummy Vitamin, usually the CVS brand. I also take the Caltrate Calcium + vit D chews. After a few days, they started to taste like Tootsie Rolls, and I looked forward to my 2nd one in the evening when I felt like having something sweet. Bonus! I take Biotin daily (good for skin and hair), the brand from Walmart is a small tablet and easy to swallow. I also do the sublingual B12.

I am not a fan of liquid meds either. I take liquid Tylenol when I have to. The only antibiotic I have been prescribed since surgery, I asked for liquid because the pills are usually big. It was awful. Then my son was prescribed an antibiotic soon after and the pills were pretty tiny, and he only had to take one a day for like 5 days. So next time I'm sick, I will ask the dr. if that particular one is appropriate for me. The liquid painkiller prescribed after surgery, while not great, has tasted better than any med I have tasted since.

My incisions were glued shut and I had no problems with them. I haven't used a scar cream, but they are looking pretty good after 5 months. I didn't use anything like a belly band, but I'd be interested to know how that feels!

Best of luck to you!