Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I got to ask this !

:)

I am two months post surgery and I was wondering when in the world will I be able to go #2 on my own. I wonder if anyone else is having this problem. I don't really want to rely on Exlax or Super Dieters Tea for the rest of my life.

I am noticing things that blow up my stomach like raw onions and broccoli in which I love. I eat alot of salad. I thought the colon doesn't like salad and it would help me go. What can I eat to help me go naturally?

I have lost 50lbs. so far but I don't want it to be because of exlax. When I get stomach aches I figure it is because I am constipated so I take something. I may take it two times a week. I'm not hurting myself am I? I have gas pains probably every other day. I bought GasX today and it didn't even help me.

I am drinking 64oz. of Water a day plus other liquids. Can someone give me some advice?

Thanks,

Josephine

How about trying some liquid Benefil or some other Fiber supplement? I know there was a thread on this topic but can't remember where...people had suggestions and comments on different types of Fiber stuff. Try searching for Constipation or fiber and you should be able to find it.

Emily

I agree with Jack, but I'm not really able to eat Cereal. Because of that I find that I'm just not able to get enough fiber on my own to remain regular, so I supplement with Benefiber every day. It's not a stimulant or laxative, but normalizes things so that I don't ever need one. Benefiber is a powder that dissolves completely in hot liquid, and I just have some in my morning coffee every day. Keeps things moving nicely. :clap2:

I would recommend going to a really good local nutrition store (not a GNC, but something local). Ask to speak with a manager or the owner. Ask them about cleansing products, digestive enzymes and Probiotics. I would guarantee if you do a good cleanse, and find some really good digestive enzymes it will clear up.

I've been going #2, but I have noticed a difference in my normal habits. I plan on ordering a cleanse when we place our next order for our nutritional supplements.

If you would like a suggestion as to which products I use, feel free to PM me. If you get your bowel issues cleared up, you'll lose even more weight.

Guest Kira M

If you get a fiber supplement, I've heard it should be a "non bulking" kind. Apparently bulking fibers can actually make the problem worse. Not good!

Do you eat prunes or drink prune juice? I don't like the juice *blech*, but I enjoy the fruit. Three or four prunes and I am right as rain within hours. Don't over due them because they can cause stomach cramping. But in moderation they work wonders, and fairly gently. Hope that helps.

If you get a fiber supplement, I've heard it should be a "non bulking" kind. Apparently bulking fibers can actually make the problem worse. Not good!

This is true, and especially so for bandsters!! Metamucil or one of those thickening-type ones can get clogged up in the pouch and make you miserable. Benefiber is guaranteed not to do that.

I use the Walmart version of Benefiber. It is called EZ-FIBER and it is about $3 cheaper. It is not bulk forming, it is tasteless. I just sprinkle it on my food or in my drink. It has helped my bowel movement be softer and more regular. I was irregular before the band and now it is worse but with EZ-Fiber it has really helped me.

I'm not having an awful lot of trouble but early on events were few and far between, even though I wasnt constipated. I eat well and I get quite a lot of fibre, but I've noticed that as my restriction lessens (and more food is going in) I'm back to normal.

I think it just has to do with the actual amount of food in your system as well as just fibre. When you're eating 1000 calories or less you just plain arent going to need to go as often, every 2nd or 3rd day will probably be more likely than every day.

Thank you so much everyone ! I think I will try the benefiber. It sounds good to put it in my coffee every morning. I really don't eat much as well. I don't even know if I am getting 700 calories down a day. I told my doctor that I lost my appetite but I try to eat what I can. I thought we were supposed to stay away from fibrous food. I am afraid of cereal for the simple fact I used to OD on it. One bowl was never enough for me. In time though I will go back to it.

Happy to say Jack that I am DRUG FREE. I am enjoying this way too much. I am beginning to love ME again.

Josephine

I am a certified colon hydrotherapist so this is my specialty! ( www.i-act.org) Drink half of your body weight in oz of Water daily...for example, if you weigh 100 lbs., then you should be drinking 50 oz. of water. When you exercise, you need to drink more than the 50 oz. Tea, coffee, etc. does not count as water!

You will need to do a little exercise everyday such as 20 min. worth of walking. No exercise, no #2.

Brocolli, cabbage, Beans, Mexican and Thai food will give you gas/bloat. Gas can hold fecal material back so get rid of the gas (walk), and you will be able to go to the bathroom.

Get a colonic and expect to lose at least 5 lbs. When John Wayne passed away, it is rumored that he had 40+ lbs. of fecal material in his colon...ouch! Why? He was taking pain meds due to the pain he was experiencing from cancer. An average person usually has between 5-15 lbs. of "stuff" packed in there!

Please try to stay away from over-the-counter synthetic meds...really bad for you and your colon. Try herbal suppliments if you have to...Dr. Richard Schultz makes the best one I have ever tried...powerful stuff! You can find his items on the internet.

If you have any further personal ?'s, please email me.

Cindy, does that mean that at 220lbs I should be drinking 14 - 8 ounce glasses of Water a day? Because I think I'd float away! B) Isn't there some sort of cut off?

It took me while to get "regular", and even now, I am not "regular" compared to what I was pre-surgery. I eat Frosted Mini Wheats for Breakfast at least 3 days a week and this helps a lot...plus itieasy to eat on the go because I just put it in a baggie and chew, chew, chew.

my daughter has sooo many problems with her bowels the doctor has her on 1 tbs of mineral oil every other day. She is as regular as can be now. I have also had really good luck with warm apple juice, thanks to a very helpful bandster here. 8oz of apple juice warmed but not hot and within an hour or so I am on the go so to speak. Hope some of the suggestions here are helpful. ~Mandy

Cindy, does that mean that at 220lbs I should be drinking 14 - 8 ounce glasses of Water a day? Because I think I'd float away! B) Isn't there some sort of cut off?

YES...drink a gallon of water and cut it with organic lemon or lime juice if it does not taste good to you. You will pee a lot at first, but then your body will get use to it. As an added benefit, your skin will look and feel terrific. We are all dying of thrist and we don't realize it!