Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

unfill before vacation

I was just wondering if anyone has ever gotten an unfill for a vacation and if the doctors really frown on this. I'm going on vacation in July and admit I would like to not be as restricted, but I'm afraid to ask doctor about it. he will probably think I'm rediculous or something. so has anyone thought about this?

They told me that would be okay to do. Hopefully you won't have to pay too much.

I think it defeats the purpose of being banded. You are either all in, or not ready to be a part of this journey..... Really makes no sense, you can be on vacation, enjoy yourself and still eat!!

Hell to the No! no way that I Iv worked this hard and went through 5 fills to have it taken out just so I can eat a little more for a week vacation!...dont get me wrong I totally get it..I sometims miss just being able to eat like "normal" and get tired of chewing chewing and getting stuck when I eat something to fast or sneak that bread or donut I just HAVE to have...but its just not worth it...I never want to go back to how I eat before and the way I looked before losing 65lbs... I think if you did end up doing it you may just regret it:)

" I was just thinking that by July i would be really restricted. I'm in a good restriction now and was worried it would be alot more by then, but when i went to get my 2nd fill today, I was told i didn't need it. I am still learning about the feeling and just thought I wouldnt be able to eat much by then if i keep getting fills."

It sounds to me like your doctor's office is doing the right thing. If you have restriction you don't need more fill. There are people who clearly have their bands wayyyyy to tight. Some of them later post the band has slipped and has to be removed. Some keep the band soooo tight they can't eat solid Protein. They survive on low fat/cal Protein shakes and loose weight becuase they are really starving themselves. New bandsters are set up for unreasonable expectations when they hear "I am full on just a few bites". 3 oz Protein alone is more than 2-3 bites.

Actually, my doctor recommends a small unfill prior to a long flight. I flew across country and had .2 removed. Didn't have any issues on the flight or while staying at relatives. I must admit that I noticed I was able to eat a bit more, but it wasn't tooo much more. It was very helpful to me as I am a closet bandster and didn't want to seem like I was eating "weird" in front of my family. When I came back, he put the .2 right back in. Didn't gain (I kept up my running) and was happy the way it all worked out. One of the reasons I chose the band was for the flexibility of it. I would never opt for a complete unfill of course, but I do believe there are times in life when you need a little "backed off." My surgeon's fee includes all fills/unfill for first 24 months, so cost was not an issue either.

No, this is your new life! You don't get "time off" from eating correctly!

If you can't eat and are throwing up constantly you are probably too full anyways right?

The plane rumor is false. There is no problems with flying.

I fly alot and always notice a slight tightening ...my surgeon's office (one of top bariatric surgeon in country) certainly recognizes it as a valid response. It may not be the case for every person, just like the whole issue of TOM and stress influencing changes (tightening) to the band. No two people are alike and everyone has their own preference as to how they filled they are. I didn't notice a difference with flying, stress, TOM untill I hit my sweet spot which by the way took 6-7 adjustments and at least 5 months after surgery.

i totally see why it would be such a bad idea. I didn't realize getting to ur sweet spot could be such a process. I would hate to take it out and then not find my spot for 5 months or so. I would hate myself for it. thanks for the heads up everyone!

I have to agree with the people who said "don't unfill." I HAD to unfil before a major back operation.... so I was completely empty for months... and I DID gain weight... 6 pounds, event though I "thought" I was being good and not eating much... the weight came back SO quickly and it's harder coming off! It is very hard for a weight loss surgery person to GAIN!!! Believe me... it is SO easy to fall back into old habits! don't do it, listen to what everyone else has said...it's a lifestyle change. Enjoy some nice rich things, but keep it small!! Now, traveling out of the country, I think is a different story, i woudln't travel with FULL restriction. Having an emergency and being in say Italy or Greece and not knowing if they could handle your issue would be scarey. ! Good luck and ENJOY VACATION!!!!

I have to agree with the people who said "don't unfill." I HAD to unfil before a major back operation.... so I was completely empty for months... and I DID gain weight... 6 pounds, event though I "thought" I was being good and not eating much... the weight came back SO quickly and it's harder coming off! It is very hard for a weight loss surgery person to GAIN!!! Believe me... it is SO easy to fall back into old habits! don't do it, listen to what everyone else has said...it's a lifestyle change. Enjoy some nice rich things, but keep it small!! Now, traveling out of the country, I think is a different story, i woudln't travel with FULL restriction. Having an emergency and being in say Italy or Greece and not knowing if they could handle your issue would be scarey. ! Good luck and ENJOY VACATION!!!!

My sister had the lab band almost 2 years ago. One year out she went on a cruise and her doctor unfilled her for her trip. It was actually his idea. But she did gain 4lbs when she got back. But she says it was ok because she didn't have to worry about getting stuck or anything else happening. I hear what everyone else has to say but I think it's your decision. If you feel it's best for you go for it. But remember whatever you gain is more you have to lose. I personally would not like to be too restricted when going on vacation and not being able to reach your doctor as quickly as you could if you were home.

thanks for the replies. i wasnt saying i was gonna go and pig out, I was just thinking that by July i would be really restricted. I'm in a good restriction now and was worried it would be alot more by then, but when i went to get my 2nd fill today, I was told i didn't need it. I am still learning about the feeling and just thought I wouldnt be able to eat much by then if i keep getting fills. I guess my brain was telling me if you don't need much food now imagin in 3 months. I know I'm not (even close) to my goal weight but i don't want to get stuck on vacation since I'm going with other ppl. I just started to learn the stuck feeling this week and hope its something that gets easier by then so I don't have to be so worried about it on vaca!

I am not going to lie I have had an unfill before going on vacation but that was because I was a little too tight.

However I never get unfills before long flights. My band doesnt really seem bothered when I fly a long time even 14 hours in the air and it is fine.

Honestly it is up to you whether you want to try to get an unfill or not. Most of us dont see the point because the band is a change of life and not a when I want to kind of thing.

I wouldn't do it. I also don't think my doctor would agree to it. People tend to over indulge on vacation (I know I did pre band) and having worked so hard to lose the weight I have lost, I wouldn't want to come home with any extra weight.

By the way, I should add that when I "unfilled" for a vacation (due to long flight) I lost 4 pounds that week :) Of course it was a ski-vacation so lots of cardio every day!!!

Someone mentioned cruising. Would it worry any of you to be filled while traveling out of the country where you will be in open Water for three days (e.g.- without a hospital in case of an emergency)? I'm going on a cruise in September and grapple with this idea of unfilling only because G-d forbid something happens in Nassau, St Maarten, St Thomas or while at sea. The cruise ships do have medical facilities, but after 10 cruises, I luckily have never had to see one :)

I can't imagine unfilling and then eating with wild abandon. If I have one rich item now, I'm "on the pot" for hours afterward, since my body is not used to red meat, sweets and high fat items.

I've cruised 3 times since being banded. First time was before my first fill. No worries. The last two was with good restriction. The last one I learned a few things. It was a two week cruise. The first week, I got stuck several times. There was a lot of stress in my life at the time...BUT...we ordered coffee and melon to our cabin each morning the first week. I don't usually eat anything so soon after getting up. Even though melon usually goes down fine for me. The days I ate it, it set me up for problems. After I returned to my usual habit of coffee first and food a while later, I was fine.

My point is, stick to your usual eating routine. Maybe pick a few treats. But don't really shake it up. As another poster said, if you are having problems, you might consider an unfill. I postponed my first fill for a cruise. I was afraid of having problems while in the middle of the Panama Canal. But the other two, I was at a good restriction level, and didn't have great fear of needing to be unfilled.

Do what you and your surgeon think is right.