Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

All those banded 4/12...check in!

Hello guys,

I would love to hear how everyone's first week was?!?!? Mine has been filled with a few bumps in the road, several stomach growlings (not all from hunger) many trips to the bathrom ;) and 7.3 lbs gone!!!! I know it's Water weight and big numbers come in the beginning but, i am still stoked. I'm also very concerned about Good Friday and Easter coming up. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE fried fish and we are going to a huge family dinner on Sunday? Any suggestions? I'll be moving to puree's at the end of the week. So enough about me. How has your 1st banded week gone and let me hear those numbers. Also, feel free to follow me on youtube under mrsa9206.

thatgurl

Hello guys,

I would love to hear how everyone's first week was?!?!? Mine has been filled with a few bumps in the road, several stomach growlings (not all from hunger) many trips to the bathrom ;) and 7.3 lbs gone!!!! I know it's Water weight and big numbers come in the beginning but, i am still stoked. I'm also very concerned about Good Friday and Easter coming up. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE fried fish and we are going to a huge family dinner on Sunday? Any suggestions? I'll be moving to puree's at the end of the week. So enough about me. How has your 1st banded week gone and let me hear those numbers. Also, feel free to follow me on youtube under mrsa9206.

thatgurl

Hi,

I was banded on 4-11. Things are going well. First three days were a little tough. Still have some gas and shoulder and neck pain. I am getting very tired on the liquid diet for 2 weeks. I talked with a few people that have went through this and they said you should start with Mushies within the next few days. I am keeping up with Protein but still tired with little energy. i think I am going to start this week with some hearty Soups and Mashed Pot.

I know I have lost weight but I am not going to even check before my 2 week follow up, for a few reason. I don't know if my home scale is accurate and I don't want to get down if I way myself to soon.

I hear you about Easter. It is a special holiday for us but other than my immed. household family I am not making it public about the surgery therefore i have made the tough decision to skip Easter this year as I will be "sick" This is tough to do but don't want all the questions on why I am not eating. etc and will make me even stronger with will power for down the road.

Good Luck!

There were a ton of us who got banded on 4/12, huh?

I'm doing well! My incisions are still sore, but no need for painkillers and I've been out & about and gone back to normal life. Today is my first day on full liquids so I got to have herbal tea, then 6 oz. of yogurt, then a Protein shake, then some Soup, then a 4 oz. sugar-free pudding... and now it's almost dinner time ;) The hunger has been under control a lot better with the full liquids than it was under Clear Liquids, and I *think* I'm getting the hang of the new sensations. "Full" is no longer a thanksgiving stuffed turkey feeling, it's more like pressure in my chest/almost my throat... and I'd best not try to push that.

I'm finding it amazing how quickly I go from "full" to "starving" though... anyone else?

Oh and I lost 8 pounds in the last week :)

My surgery was 4/13......It sounds like we are all in the same "boat" :) Nice to know I am NOT alone! When I started to "think" about lap band, I was 241 pounds. (and I am only 5'2) The day of surgery I weighed in at 219. That was encouraging.....I actually remember thinking "maybe this will not be as bad as I thought". First week has been tougher than I thought but it is getting easier with each passing day. I felt like I was totally aware of this new thing inside me, and I wondered if I would always feel it was there, or if soon I would forget and not even notice it. I felt "buyers remorse"...wondering had I totally lost my mind? Depriving myself of all the things I loved like bread and RICE and Pasta? and I felt HUNGRY! A friend (who is also banded) reminded me to drink! remember protein! Best advice ever was being told that an "unflavored" Protein existed and I could add it to tea, coffee, Water, Soup, yogurt etc...... I tried it and surprisingly I felt less hungry.

Another issue I had was also getting that "turkey day over eating stuffed feeling" After the second day I finally figured out where I was going wrong! I learned to STOP as soon as I felt full and not to push myself.

I felt sore up until about the 3rd day. It eased off, until today :( I was picking up something from the floor and I couldn't tell you what happened but it left me with a pain right where my big incision is. My fear??? Somehow the band slipped? Other than now feeling sore again, I haven't noticed any changes....so I will wait to bring it up at my followup Dr appt. (unless things get worse?) When they say "take it easy....rest....etc....." I strongly encourage it!

I haven't felt sick at all, and I havent vomitted at all.....wondering if that comes after the fill?

for me...so far so good......It's a learning process, but like I said every day I feel more comfortable with my new friend and my decision.

Oh.....and I haven't weighed yet :( waiting for the Dr appt. for an "official" weigh in.

Love to hear other experiences! I could use a few "online pals" to travel with me in this new journey!

I have a few great recipes I could share for those in the liquid phase, it's added some variety and helped me over the hump :)

I WAS BANDED ON APRIL 4TH I AM DOWN 24LBS SINCE MY INITIAL WEIGH IN 2WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY. NOT MANY ISSUES SO FAR EXCEPT I AM TAKING THE Multivitamin FROM GNC AND IS GAGS ME I HATE THE SMELL TASTE EVERYTHING ANY SUGESTIONS?

Thanks for the info and good advice. I don't get my band until June but I am soaking up all I can between now and then.

I'd love to have your recipes if you will share.

Thanks and wishing you the best!!! :rolleyes:

My surgery was 4/13......It sounds like we are all in the same "boat" :) Nice to know I am NOT alone! When I started to "think" about lap band, I was 241 pounds. (and I am only 5'2) The day of surgery I weighed in at 219. That was encouraging.....I actually remember thinking "maybe this will not be as bad as I thought". First week has been tougher than I thought but it is getting easier with each passing day. I felt like I was totally aware of this new thing inside me, and I wondered if I would always feel it was there, or if soon I would forget and not even notice it. I felt "buyers remorse"...wondering had I totally lost my mind? Depriving myself of all the things I loved like bread and RICE and Pasta? and I felt HUNGRY! A friend (who is also banded) reminded me to drink! remember protein! Best advice ever was being told that an "unflavored" Protein existed and I could add it to tea, coffee, Water, Soup, yogurt etc...... I tried it and surprisingly I felt less hungry.

Another issue I had was also getting that "turkey day over eating stuffed feeling" After the second day I finally figured out where I was going wrong! I learned to STOP as soon as I felt full and not to push myself.

I felt sore up until about the 3rd day. It eased off, until today :( I was picking up something from the floor and I couldn't tell you what happened but it left me with a pain right where my big incision is. My fear??? Somehow the band slipped? Other than now feeling sore again, I haven't noticed any changes....so I will wait to bring it up at my followup Dr appt. (unless things get worse?) When they say "take it easy....rest....etc....." I strongly encourage it!

I haven't felt sick at all, and I havent vomitted at all.....wondering if that comes after the fill?

for me...so far so good......It's a learning process, but like I said every day I feel more comfortable with my new friend and my decision.

Oh.....and I haven't weighed yet :( waiting for the Dr appt. for an "official" weigh in.

Love to hear other experiences! I could use a few "online pals" to travel with me in this new journey!

I have a few great recipes I could share for those in the liquid phase, it's added some variety and helped me over the hump :)

Im an April 12th band-it! :rolleyes: Im doing great. Actually I kinda "forgot" I had it, because I never feel restriction, or over fullness, and I still get hungry alot. I took a bite of my kids sandwich (a very small one) to prove to him it was yummy, and I think it got stuck, because it did NOT feel good. (what do you know, the band is in there!!;) ) I just walked up and down the sidewalk until the feeling passed, and then waited another 30 min before I had my "lunch" I had to wait 5 days until I could do mushies, so now I have been eating alot of oatmeal (with non flavored Protein powder) and a lot of creamy Soup. I have lost about 6lbs since surgery day. They weigh you at the hospital, but I hadn't eaten for 12 hours or had anything to drink at that point, so im sure I weighed less than I really do, so Im not totally sure what the accurate number of poundage is for me.

The book the nurtitionist gave us said that we were supposed to start working our way to our "three meals a day" but I just can to that yet. I eat my oatmeal at 6:30, have a Protein shake at 10, lunch at noon-ish, another Protein Shake around 3-ish, and then dinner between 5 and 6. Technically I can have another Protein shake after that around 8 if I "need" it, but thats when I make sure to catch up on my liquids if I havent had enough during the day, so I usually feel a little sloshy around then :D

I went to my Post-Op appt, and he said everything looked good, except I need to have my gall bladder removed (crap) so im not terribly excited about that, but he also said he expects me to be eating steak and chicken by the next time I see him (May 11) so I have that to look forward to!! My hubby comes home from Afghanistan on May 3rd, so maybe a romantic dinner will be possible! Hooray! I will just have to share his dinner with him!:lol:

Lets keep up the awesome work April Bandsters, and keep encouraging the people who are still waiting!

I WAS BANDED ON APRIL 4TH I AM DOWN 24LBS SINCE MY INITIAL WEIGH IN 2WEEKS BEFORE SURGERY. NOT MANY ISSUES SO FAR EXCEPT I AM TAKING THE MULTIVITAMIN FROM GNC AND IS GAGS ME I HATE THE SMELL TASTE EVERYTHING ANY SUGESTIONS?

Congratuations on your weight loss! I was banded 4/20/11. Ready to get through these first couple of weeks and eat a little something solid!!!

I have lost 10 pounds since going on the pre-op diet!!

I was banded 4/12. Just came back from my post -op appt. I had my staples removed and I am officially down 20lbs. I am starting the puree/mushies. My doctor told me that I can start the chicken salad, tuna salad and egg salad. I tried to puree chicken salad in a blender and it was a disaster. I took three spoonful and threw the rest away. I think that I will just fall in love with mashed potatoes and some baby food and call it a day for the next two weeks.

I've been doing mostly well, except I'm not feeling so... peppy. I was warned that before you can go back to solids, you might feel weak or tired because you're not getting a lot of nutrition in. I guess that's the case with me! I've been following my plan (2nd week= full liquids) and I've also been journaling and it's odd to see how few calories I'm taking in every day. I guess once I move back to food I'll be taking in more.

Good thing is I'm really not too hungry- when I get hungry, I "eat" a Protein shake or a sugar-free pudding and I'm good. It's a little weird ;) I'm not used to not being hungry!

Hey I was banded 4/13. How does your port feel. I am starting to think about fills and wondering how the doctor knows where to inject the skin. Yes I have little energy but I am on mushies for 4 weeks. I only had to do liquids for 2 days. My port is tender to the touch and if I bend over. I wonder when this goes away. Take care

Same as yours- sore if I poke at it, sore if I bend, a little sore still if I lay on that side. Does seem to be feeling better every day though- yours?

Hey I was banded 4/13. How does your port feel. I am starting to think about fills and wondering how the doctor knows where to inject the skin. Yes I have little energy but I am on mushies for 4 weeks. I only had to do liquids for 2 days. My port is tender to the touch and if I bend over. I wonder when this goes away. Take care

What is this tasteless Protein powder you are using?? I was looking for something just like that at a grocery store and ended up being a chocolate powder that made sooo GROSS. I need what you are using! I don't like having to replace a meal everytime just to drink my Protein shake...I don't want to have to do that every single day. Also, I was not able to bend down right after surgery. I was banded on the 14th and I still only can bend down just using my legs and going all the way down! I am keeping my torso straight so I don't hurt myself...I think in a few more days I will be fine. So be careful!

I was banded on the 14th and so far I am doing great! At first I needed help getting up and off the couch, I couldn't even sleep in my own bed. I finally am getting up on my own and sleeping in the bed! I was on liquids for a week, and omg that drove me insane. Finally stopped that and I have just having soft foods. Had scrambled eggs this morning for the first time and that went down just fine. I haven't felt nauseous or anything! I make sure to chew up my food very well, I am terrified up vomiting. I think me not wanting to vomit is the main reason I really stop myself before I get too full. I am scared it will slip. This is a good thing because I am now only eating until I am satisfied, not stuffed. Now I have eaten eggs, yogurt, shakes, Jello, pudding, applesause and etc. I will be eating like this for another week and then I will migrate to different types of food. So far I have lost 15 1/2 lbs and very excited! I can't wait to start riding my bike again to speed up the weight loss once my Water weight is gone.

My port has been the sorest area for me, and it looks like for y'all too! I don't even feel my incisions now...but that port needs to hurry up and heal. I really like sleeping on my stomach but I can't since it still hurts right there. I am moving around just fine and off pain medicine. I get my first fill on Monday! Glad to see everyone is doing good!