Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there. I heard that Hair loss after surgery is pretty common. I started taking Biotin supplements and I have at least 60 grams of Protein a day. I am hoping that will minimize any hair loss I may have. For those that had the hair loss, how much hair (percentage) did you lose? Was it in clumps or specific areas of your head? Or was it a little from everywhere? How many months did you experience the hair loss? When did it stop? Did any of it grow back? How much and how long did it take?

When I started losing my hair I seriously thought I was going to be bald. It started 4 months after surgery and lasted a good 6 weeks. I wouldn't say it came out in clumps but I lost a LOT of hair. Nobody noticed but me (I have a really thick hair). It quit falling out and it all grew back. Actually, I talked to my Dr. about it and she said it is not actually falling out, it is breaking off.

I feel like I'm losing hair but it might be in my head... I have very thick hair so no bald spots, just alot in the brush... I need to stop wearing my hair up :/

I make sure I have at least 60 grams of Protein a day. About 2 months ago a lot of my hair starting falling off. I too thought I was going to go bald. Fortunately my hair finally stopped falling off about 2 weeks ago. I hope this is it and it grows back.

I started seeing lots of hair in the shower frain and noticed my hair getting thinner. I went to the dermatologist and he said not to worry, I wouldn't go bald.. He said your body goes into shock with such rapid weight loss and that causes some hairloss. For me I would say it started about 6 months after surgery and lated about 6 months.

I also had Hair loss about six months after surgery, even though my weightloss wasn't as rapid as many folks'. Turned out I had a nodule on my thyroid and ended up having surgery to remove half of my thyroid. Might not hurt to have your thyroid checked just in case.

I am 3-1/2 months out and am seeing a lot of hair in the shower as well as in my comb after the shower. I just saw my NP on Thursday for my 2nd fill and was told that Biotin can help with regrowth but will not stop the loss. Just make sure you are getting Protein in, use a good Shampoo and conditioner, and be gentle with your hair and scalp. It really is small price to pay, and it fortunately its only a phase and not permanent! :) good luck!

At about 4 months I also started to loose a lot of hair. I started to take Biotin. The Hair loss has stopped but can't really say whether it was the Biotin or not.

no big clumps or bald spots... just more in the shower and in the brush. It stopped on it's own after less than 2 months and was never noticable to anyone but me.

you're doing the best you can for it! It's either going to happen or isn't... everyone is different that way... and if you're someone who is going to be prone to hair loss after a surgery or during weight loss there's really nothing you can do to prevent it. But the Protein and Biotin will certainly help the severity.

I was doing spring cleaning today and was wondering who sheds more Me or the Cat??? My hair is always fallin out. When I wash it, It comes out in clumps! When I brush it... Clumps.. when I run my hand through it.. quite a few strands... I am not finding any bald spots, but I could make a wig with all the hair that falls out! I have extremely thick hair!

I notice my hair was shedding at about 3 months after surgery. I have really thick hair as well but I could see it and then I had my sister cut my hair for me one day and she noticed it as well. No bald spots but places where it is a LOT thinner. :o It was coming out when I shampooed, combed or just ran my fingers through my hair. This has lasted around 6 months and I noticed last week that it has stopped :woot: :clap: ... If you are going to lose it, all the Protein and Biotin you can get down won't stop it, believe me I tried. But you won't go bald, just practice good eating habits and hair care and all with level out eventually...

Mine started about 8 months after surgery, and I did have a clump come out which made a small bald spot. I have since started taking Biotin and have noticed a big difference. It started growing back and so far so good. Hopefully no more comes out but I have lost 86 pounds so far and that outweighs everything!!!

I've been losing mine for a few weeks, I was banded 4 months ago. I have a TON of hair, so it's not that noticeable, but it's normal...

I also had hair loss about six months after surgery, even though my weightloss wasn't as rapid as many folks'. Turned out I had a nodule on my thyroid and ended up having surgery to remove half of my thyroid. Might not hurt to have your thyroid checked just in case.

Llyra, did you have any other symptoms of your thyroid issue? I had my thyroid levels checked a couple of months ago. First it was a little below the normal level. A few weeks later it was normal level. Before the first test I had been sick with this year's flu. I read that could cause the thyroid levels to be low. One of my main "kick in the pants" to get this surgery was an uncomfortable pressure on my throat. I figured it was from the bigger double chin and thicker neck. I hadn't gained any weight when I started feeling that. But, it seemed all of my fat was getting redistributed. I started changing my habits after starting this lap band journey (no straws, no soda, eating Protein first, avoiding Recreational Sugar, and not drinking with my meals). I was able to lose 6 pounds. The pressure on my throat got better. I snacked a little too much over the past 4 days and gained 2 pounds back. Now my throat is feeling that pressure again. I'm looking forward to my surgery next week.