Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

did they take you off your birth control? also did they put you on shots post surgery?

Hi all,

i just had my surgery on friday-so not feeling so great-although better than i might have thought! :)

my question is this-did they take you off birth control post op? when my dr report came when they were releasing me from the hospital they said to stop taking birth control? the nurse said she had never heard of this (and they do many bariatric surgeries) so maybe it was a new policy?

Also they put me on lovenox-self injections for 2 weeks? again just a precaution -is everyone else getting this same info? just seems like a LOT of precautions?

thanks all! also-generally how long did your incisions ache? any helpful finds on how to sleep? the best i have found is propped up on the couch-but it isn't the best! thanks guys-this board is heaven sent!

Congratulations on your surgery! You will be feeling better soon. I slept propped about 45 degrees in the bed with pillows. After a few days it still hurts to get into bed, but once you lie down you should be able to get comfortable. I think the right side was better than the left. Where the port is attached to your ab muscles will be tender for a while longer.

Birth control pills, obesity, and being immobile after surgery are the 3 greatest causes of blood clots. I had 3 blood clots travel to my lungs about 17 months ago, right after a different surgery. I am lucky to be alive. The lovenox injections are to prevent blood clots. Your doctor must have been concerned about this being an issue with you, especially if you smoke, that is another huge factor. I'm really surprised he didn't give you more information though. They can also do a blood test for genetic clotting risk factors (I didn't have any), but again I would expect him to have shared that info with you.

Get up and get moving as is recommended after lapband surgery anyway. Don't sit for long periods. I hope I didn't scare you! With the injections you are limiting the risk. Talk to your doctor about it when you see him again.

Don't know about the birth control. I didn't have to do Lovenox. I have seen that some people have had to do it though.

thanks so much for the responses-they did tell me both were being done to prevent clots-but apparently this is just new protocol to MY dr.?? i understand about doing the shots-but having to be off birth control was certainly a shock! i don't smoke or have any clotting risks----so guess was just seeing if others were staying on their bc pills?

Yes Lovenox is an injectable blood thinner. At 39 I had a TIA (Think ministroke) out of nowhere no warning (never on birthcontrol). I would much rather have a couple shots than worry about having another blood clot to the brain. It was petrifying!

Hi all,

i just had my surgery on friday-so not feeling so great-although better than i might have thought! :)

my question is this-did they take you off birth control post op? when my dr report came when they were releasing me from the hospital they said to stop taking birth control? the nurse said she had never heard of this (and they do many bariatric surgeries) so maybe it was a new policy?

Also they put me on lovenox-self injections for 2 weeks? again just a precaution -is everyone else getting this same info? just seems like a LOT of precautions?

thanks all! also-generally how long did your incisions ache? any helpful finds on how to sleep? the best i have found is propped up on the couch-but it isn't the best! thanks guys-this board is heaven sent!

My doctor did not take me off birth control. I take the generic for Seasonale. I would have had a heart to heart convo if they would have tried to! They did not give me any shots to take either.

Can't really remember how long my incisions ached, but I didn't get over general pain (although still a bit groggy) until that following Friday (had sugery Monday). I slept propped up on a pillow on the couch. I got the worst sleep of my life, but the pain meds made it bearable. I couldn't lay down in the bed. As soon as I started to recline the pain was unbearable. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions.

Hi and welcome. I am a heart patient and on Plavix. My cardiologist was extremely concerned that I had to be off my Plavix for 10 days prior to surgery as I take it to prevent clots. I have a history of blood clots following surgery, so my doctor also took precaustions with Lovonox. It is not a big deal and the shots do not hurt at all. I was given a heavey dose of Heprin prior to surgery (now that shot hurt like hell) and was given Lovonox in addition to my Plavix following surgery. I was banded 4/6/11. I was sore the first night home and had trouble getting in and out of bed, but after that, other than some general soreness I was fine. I am now almost 2 weeks post op and I feel terrific. My incision areas get sore if I sit to long (myjob is a desk job) so I just get up and take a walk. This is by far the easiest surgery I personally have ever had. While I was in recovery I had some kind of heart issue, with heaviness in my chest and an abnormal EKG. They kept me in recovery for 4 hours while they monitored my heart. After the first abnormal EKG, the following 3 while in revoery where normal, they came in my room the next morning and it was normal, and gave me another prior to sending me home and it was normal. So far I have lost a little over 19 pounds and like I said, I feel terrific. I can sleep on my side without any issues, even the side with the port.

You will do fine, and be happy your doctor is being cautious. Better that than the alternative :) Keep us posted.

Hi all,