Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's different??

I have been reading and reading and this forum is stocked with great information. The one thing, though, that perplexes me is that, what is so different with the band? I have read about many banded ones still being hungry so I get confused as to what exactly is helpful about the band. If we eat like the doctor advises pre-band would there be any need for the band? Does the band sincerely help you eat better? :) Eat a lot less? Think about food less? Curious mind needs to know! While I understand it is not a miracle cure, is the "full" feeling that complete that I will never think of another diet?

Thanks!

Kelli

Its very hard to explain and I never expected it. What I expected was to still have a raging appetite and to be wandering the house in an agony of frustration because I wanted to eat an entire twin bag of chips but I just couldnt get it past my band.

What's actually happened is that I could get the chips past my band but I dont want to eat them.

I think I went into this operation thinking deep down that I would punish myself for being so weak, by making sure I could never enjoy those things again. What actually has happened is I have performed the most loving/respectful act I could for myself. I hope that doesnt sound corny and make you puke, but it's honestly how I feel.

I'm just coming up to my first fill, so it's early days but what I've found the band has done for me is just entirely stop the head hunger/non hungry eating that I used to do. It's like I'm not stuffed full but I am satisfied all the time, till I suddenly get hungry, so I eat something small and that's it.

I get hungry more often now, I can definitely eat more than I could a few weeks back so it is time for a fill. but for about a month, I would also fill up very quickly to the point of being really full, on about 1 cup of food. I eat the same amount now but am merely satisfied.

I just dont think about food unless I get hungry, I swear that since I stopped eating muffins, cakes, bread and Cookies I no longer want them (they were my problem food, I was a sugar/carb addict) and I live totally happy on lean Protein, yogurt, fruit and vegetables. tuna is my new all time dependable food. It's like somebody gave me a food lobotomy, its absolutely freaking amazing.

I never expected it to be like this. I was prepared to wave bye-bye to bread and the other foods I shouldnt eat, but to be sad about it and eventually just learn to live with it. I didnt think I'd simply never want them again and that my tastes would change so suddenly.

I was a pretty good eater pre band though. As I have a family to feed, we always ate lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, wholegrains, good quality meat and fish. Take-away was a once a month treat. I wouldnt dream of feeding my kids the crap I used to shove in on top of the healthy family meals. I would hate myself if I made my kids fat. So I havent had to get used to "new" foods, just wave goodbye to some old (no longer) friends.

Kelli, while Jacqui's experience may be the best that can happen before a fill, I think most bandsters would agree that what she describes DOES happen to us eventually, when we have good restriction. The lessening of hunger is definitely an effect of being banded--whether it happens out of the gate or after a fill or two, it DOES happen.

Be aware that some of the people you see here talking about diets are no longer banded, having had them removed. Whether you choose to "diet" or not after you are banded is up to you. Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to inflict that on themselves if it didn't work for them before; I can't live like that.

Proper restriction has the effect of lessening hunger, and therefore lessening interest in food. This may take TIME and that's a hard thing sometimes. Having surgery is such a big step and we expect immediate changes and results. That's not necessarily the way it happens. But it DOES happen with time and proper adjustment and band care, and if you let the band dictate your intake the weight will come off simply because you are eating less.

The two threads above pretty well explained it. I will just say that my band "keeps" me from overeating. I don't diet at all, I eat the same foods that my DH eats, just smaller portions.

My opinion: (worth about 2 cents)

No the band does not make you eat better/healthy. Yes the band does make me think of food less. Yes the band does control my portions. Yes I do feel satisfied after my meals. Yes the band does require exercise and practicing self control (ie diet) for maximum results.

Thank you to all of you for taking the time to answer my question.

I realized something by reading these posts...there is never a miracle answer to any type of struggle. There are still rules to follow and if one can abide by and follow the lap band rules, it will work. I were successful following other rules, well, then, I wouldn't be willing to follow new rules.

That may sound confusing, but it's quite clear in my brain. LOL

Kelli

Pugmum, it's true that there is never a miracle answer and there are still rules to follow. The great thing about being banded, though, is that following the rules is MUCH EASIER when you have a little band of silicone helping you. There is no possible way I could have lost 120 lbs on my own, nevermind keeping it off essentially without trying.

It's a whole new world, I promise. :biggrin1:

Okay Alexandria, I'm going to trust you! B) It seems too good to be true to live as a thin person not obsessing about how to keep it that way. I'm truly getting excited!

Kelli

kelli

not sure if anyone has talked about this yet, but one big bonus of the band is the pressure it places on the vagus nerve--a nerve that send the signal to the brain that you are full. the idea is that the band does double duty---it makes us full on a small amount of food, and the pressure on this nerve helps us feel full for a few hours after we eat (this is with restriction). this is why so many people (myself included) are finally able to eat better and stop obsessing over food--finally looking at it like it is intended--for energy and nutrition. which is why most of us failed with dieting--sure, most of us can/did follow diets for a time, we lost some weight, but in time we could not maintain that type of discipline. most all diets work--as long as you stay on them, and most of us can't live forever on shakes, or grapefruit, or no carbs....

hope that helps explain...

jessica

181-119-115

11-09-04

Yes, that does help! It all helps and makes complete sense to me. When I think of restarting a diet program, such as, WW or something, I think I can lose 25 or 30 pounds (if I'm lucky), but then it goes downhill.

Kelli

Pre-band I would consum

3 scrambled eggs, 2 johnsonville brats and 2 pieces of toast with 32 oz of Milk for Breakfast.

1 Triple Cheeseburger with X-Large Fry and 32 oz soda for lunch, refilled the soda before I left the diner.

A candy bar out of the vending machine with a bag of chips if I was REALLY hungry for snack around 3. . oh' with a can of Pepsi.

1/2 of a Papa Murphy's Family size Canadian Bacon and Pinapple pizza (so what 4-6 peices) with some salad, My husband and I would split a 2 liter of soda. OH and breadsticks!!

1/4 of a half gallon of Dryers ice cream for dessert

TODAY!

I have 1 scrambled egg for Breakfast . .. with a 20 oz Hot chocolate that takes me until 11 to finish.

8 oz of milk, A 1/2 can of tuna with mayo and 1/2 of an apple for lunch

Water

1 single 2" slice of Papa Murphys pizza for dinner ---- IF I'm LUCKY and don't feel like I'm going to gag 1/2 way thru the piece of pizza.

Maybe a half cup of ice cream a few hours later, if my stomach doesn't feel too annoyed with me.

ITs like I get that stuffed, over the top, WAY too much Turkey dinner feeling from a single egg, or a 1/2 cup of ice cream.

Did the band change my eating choices, no, does my band prevent me from eating an entire pizza in one setting yes -- it now takes me almost a week eating pizza lunch AND dinner to eat one pizza. And ice cream, the gallon in my refridgerator right now, has the freezer fuzz on top, so I'll be throwing it away.

I once used to spend every minute of everyday figuring out what I was going to eat next, where I would stop for my next food morsel, and that I was hungry. Now eating is a chore, something that I have to force myself to do, because I know that I need the Protein and the calories for healthy weight loss.