Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi! Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. I was banded on 4-4-11 in Houston, TX. I'm currently on "mushies" and still have a week to go before I can attempt "real" food!!!

What are you all eating for the "mushies" phase?

Well, I have to say that I am a bad patient and I haven't followed post-diet guidelines very well.

I think I started eating mushies on Day 4 post op. I had about four tablespoons of mashed potatoes and I waited for something to explode inside but everything was fine. My surgeon doesn't put any fill in during surgery so I'm still wide open, and I swear the hunger pains were so bad I couldn't stand it.

Since then, I've had well cooked vegetables, including some mashed sweet potato last night. I ate about half of a rotisserie chicken breast with it, eaten in small bites and chewed well. I've not had a stuck episode or any PB'ing yet. I've had several very moist turkey meatballs and tonight I'm having some grilled lemon pepper fish with a small salad.

Also, my surgeon isn't as strict as some - he says Clear liquids day one, all liquids days 2 and 3, mushies from day 4 on through 3 weeks. I've just introduced some normal foods here and there to make sure and I'm doing fine. I told him yesterday during my post-op followup that I had turkey meatballs and he didn't even flinch, said I was healing very well and not to worry about weight loss until my first fill, which is now scheduled for May 5th.

But to answer your question, I've had mashed potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, refried Beans with cheese, yogurt, instant oatmeal, cottage cheese, Soup including the noodles, sugar free pudding cups, sugar free Jello cups, sugar free pudding "mousse" cups, the list goes on :)

WOW! My doctor is super strict compared to a lot of them on here. I was told to follow a low fat, low carb, no sugar diet starting immediatly after surgery. This meaning I can't have the refried Beans and mashed potatoes. I did have both of them one day but I won't do it again because I felt so guilty!!!

My "mushy" stage started at day 7 and continues until week 4 after my first fill.

Glad to know we are in this together and banded around the same time :)

it's amazing how diffrent all of our surgeons are.. I was Clear Liquids in the hospital then days 2-7 i am full liquids which include anything pureed...4days post op and I'm doing kind of good...i think...:lol:

I can't wait to get on mushy foods- tomorrow. As long as I'm cleared by the doctor tomorrow AM. YAY!!!!

My surgeon doesn't put any fill in during surgery so I'm still wide open

Our surgeon pulled 2ccs out of my band, the day after surgery. He told me it would be empty, but when I was sick, he had Natalie come down to the ER with the needles and such and unfilled me. I forget the reason he said he was going to see if I needed to be unfilled. Maybe he fills it to test it and doesn't always get all the stuff out?

That said, I also have been eating mushies a little bit, for the past week. More the last few days and today. My surgeon said as long as you can tolerate it, it's fine. The dates given out are just a rough guideline. I haven't been too crazy with taking in more than liquids until recently. I'm just now discovering I probably can eat anything just fine right now. I'm thankful I'm going in for a fill next week. I need to just forget how well things went down today and continue with the careful, slow eating of liquidy substances.

Our surgeon pulled 2ccs out of my band, the day after surgery. He told me it would be empty, but when I was sick, he had Natalie come down to the ER with the needles and such and unfilled me. I forget the reason he said he was going to see if I needed to be unfilled. Maybe he fills it to test it and doesn't always get all the stuff out?

That said, I also have been eating mushies a little bit, for the past week. More the last few days and today. My surgeon said as long as you can tolerate it, it's fine. The dates given out are just a rough guideline. I haven't been too crazy with taking in more than liquids until recently. I'm just now discovering I probably can eat anything just fine right now. I'm thankful I'm going in for a fill next week. I need to just forget how well things went down today and continue with the careful, slow eating of liquidy substances.

I have moved passed mushies and am eating more real food now. I can say it is hard though as I try new things and hope for the best...I have had nothing come up or any problems so far. Today I had a lap band friendly pancake, tuna salad, peaches and tonight chicken. I am three weeks out today and down 30, I go for my first fill 5/3, I do believe I need it and am kind of worried I will start having some of the problems others have had. I guess my journey just feels to easy so I have to worry about something!! I am glad things have gotten better for you.

I'm just now discovering I probably can eat anything just fine right now. I'm thankful I'm going in for a fill next week. I need to just forget how well things went down today and continue with the careful, slow eating of liquidy substances.

I'm in the SAME PLACE today! Oy. I really didn't need to know I could tolerate more than full liquids...