Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

if don't stick to the liquid diet-will surgery get cancelled? /has anyone's liver been too big?

Just curious if this is actually a deal breaker? Have doctors actually done the cut and realized the liver was too big and cancelled the surgery for a future date or is this a "lap band horror story" to scare me and give me something ELSE to worry about! :)

It's happened I'm sure. Will surgery be cancelled if you slip up once or twice? Probably not. Should you neglect the liquid diet? No. Do your best but don't completely go off track with it.

Another good thing about the liquid diet besides making sure your liver is a workable size is it helps you start losing weight. Not a bad perk in my opinion!

You really need to follow your doctor's orders. This is a start to a new lifestyle. That said I did go off track 2 times during my 10 day liquid diet, but I only had cottage cheese. It has a lot of Protein and I just needed something more than liquids. I felt so guilty I called my doctor and they said I would be okay, but don't do it again. I lost 10 pounds before surgery and that really helped me get my head in the game. Good luck and if you have concerns call your doctor.

I'm not going to lie the liquid diet SUCKS but I'm kind of glad I had to do it. It helped jump start my weight loss and it got me prepared for the 2 weeks of liquid I had to do after surgery. I won't lie I slipped up twice and I felt really guilty afterward. I'm sure people's surgery have been canceled because their liver was too fatty.

I just talk to my surgeon today about this exact thing. Ive been on and off my diet for the last 5 days. I asked my doctor if i needed to reschedule. Without him asking me what id eaten he said i should be fine. The doctor told me if i cant stick with the diet just mae sue I eat the least amount of carbs as possible. I do know the pre opt diet is based om your bmi, My is pretty high 50 something. Just talked to your doctor directly and see what he says.

Yea it sucks, but I loved the 15lb jump start it gave me on my diet!! Besides you have to learn to stick to a diet, what is it saying if you can't stick to the liquids?

It's a nice jump start to your weight loss as others have said. Will you surgery be cancelled probably not. But, i think you need to think about your surgery now, it seems you are already planning to not follow your docs instructions, this is not a good sign for your surgery. In order to lose weight with your lap band you need to follow your docs directions. You don't have to to a tee, but there are rules you need to follow. I would not recommend starting to sabotage yourself from the get go

It's a nice jump start to your weight loss as others have said. Will you surgery be cancelled probably not. But, i think you need to think about your surgery now, it seems you are already planning to not follow your docs instructions, this is not a good sign for your surgery. In order to lose weight with your lap band you need to follow your docs directions. You don't have to to a tee, but there are rules you need to follow. I would not recommend starting to sabotage yourself from the get go

I saw an entry in the surgery story section about a user here who went under anesthesia and everything only to wake up to find her doc couldn't do the surgery because her liver was too fatty so she had to try again. So, it does happen. How often? I dunno.