Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

9 years since I last wore my suit

Last November I was having a having to "suck it in" a bit to fit into my 50R suit. In fact 2 years ago when I went to buy a tux the guy measured me and said "right this way" and proceeded to walk over to the suits with a sign hanging overhead that said "portly". That was a bit embarrassing.

Well this past weekend I was shuffling around my clothes in the closet to put that 50R in the back as it is WAY to big now and move some others to the front. On a whim I grabbed a 44R that just about 6 months ago I was doing my Tommy Boy impression of the Fat Guy in a Little Coat song with. I wanted to see how much more I needed to lose to wear that. I couldn't believe it.. IT FIT !!

I tried on the pants and they buttoned too. I then noticed something in the pocket of the pants. I reached in and found a pacifier. As soon as I found it I realized that the last time I had that suit on was when my daughter who just turned 9 this month was baptized.

Something that may seem so little means so much and can boost my motivation into high gear. It can be something like this that pushes me harder in the gym to do the extra mile or do en extra set. It also makes it easier to stick with better food choices. Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those types of motivation moments once a month. :) That made my day and I just wanted to share it.

Wow... that made me a little emotional!!! Congrats, keep up the good work!

Congrats, these NSV are better than the scale! Best wishes! Karen

Have realized it is not always the scale that makes me know I am doing good. This is a great testimony!

I was wearing 18/20 before surgery and yesterday went and bought 2 pair of shorts in 14 and they fit perfect!! Like you, this is what keeps me motivated at times!

Keep up the great work and thanks for sharing.biggrin.gif

Major NSV!! Something like that is more concrete than a number on a scale. Especially when you realize than in a few months, you have erased 9 years of unhealthy living from your body.

When are you going to take that big suit OUT of your closet forever? rolleyes.gif

When are you going to take that big suit OUT of your closet forever? rolleyes.gif

Haha.. I took a bunch of big pants/shorts/shirts of of my dresser and closet and put them in a big bag and then into the attic. My wife asked me the same thing last night. Why am I saving them and not bringing them straight to goodwill? I guess I am having a hard time accepting that it is really forever this time and not just like all the other times I lost weight and gained it back. I think that is something I need to work on.

Haha.. I took a bunch of big pants/shorts/shirts of of my dresser and closet and put them in a big bag and then into the attic. My wife asked me the same thing last night. Why am I saving them and not bringing them straight to goodwill? I guess I am having a hard time accepting that it is really forever this time and not just like all the other times I lost weight and gained it back. I think that is something I need to work on.

I was doing the same thing, (saving my fat clothes), till it was pointed out to me that finding larger men's clothes at places like Goodwill is difficult. If you have big clothes you don't expect to wear again, donate them. Someone who needs them will be very grateful, and it's a great incentive for you not to ever need that size again.

I finished cleaning out my closet and dressers recently, and took EVERYTHING that was too big to Goodwill. it was amazing to see how much room there was left, and how little room my smaller clothes take up. It was difficult saying Goodbye to certain items I was especially fond of, but if it doesn't fit - out it went! I saved one shirt and one pair of pants as a reminder of where I used to be, and where I never want to go again.

Now that I'm wearing more normal-sized clothes again, it's also a pleasure to shop again. No more catalog shopping, or tracking down the closest Casual Male XL store. I was walking through JC Penney the other day, saw a shirt I really liked, and found one on the rack that fit perfectly. I had to check to make sure I wasn't in the Big & Tall section. At the register I didn't have to pay extra for "oversized" clothing. That did wonders for my ego, let me tell you! :)

Dave

What wonderful stories! I'm also having a hard time disposing of my "fat" clothes. I dropped from a 28 to a 20, and have 6 trash bags of clothes sitting in a corner in my living room. I, too, have yo-yoed and it just got to be too expensive to keep buying different sizes, so I just kept rotating them. I also am now wearing clothes that I haven't worn since before I met my husband ten years ago. I was feeling a little strange at work the other day, wondering if anyone is noticing the "outdated" styles. I'm so glad to hear that I'm not the only one wearing ten year old clothes.

Love, love, love this post. Congratulations to you! And I bet you're able to do a lot more activities with that 9yo daughter too! One of the reasons I got the band was to be able to really play with my kids and I'm so looking forward to this summer for that.