Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band troubles

I had my Lap Band since January 2007, after having my first restriction I've noticed that I kept feeling sick even after drinking just Water, I went for a scan and they've told me I had developed an Hiatus Hernia and won't be able to restrict the band again.

Ever since on top I have "left Shoulder pains" that mostly come at night or when I sit down for long periods and very painful, also I start having sharp pains in my port feeling like it's pinching a nerve and really painful too.

I now really want my band removed as my life quality is going from worst to worst as petrified to go out and eat in public places just in case I'll jet and feel sick...and that has happened even with just coffee. Nevertheless the pain in the shoulder and port add to the frustration and the fact I haven't been able to eat anything healthy since my op unless blended and sometimes not even that.

Please if anyone had or have similar problems could you let me know.

Thank you God bless

You need to discuss this with your surgeon. Sounds dangerous to continue doing what you're doing.

I have and didn't get any sympathy from him...he just said if I want it removed need to pay even more than before...but now I cannot afford it and my doctor won't refer me to a consultant as I went private in a first place :-(

Thank you so much for your reply

Im sorry you are having such a bad time. I was banded in 2006. I have had severe shoulder pain from day one. I have to take tramadol for the pain. Not really happy about that but it is horrible. I am trying to get my band replaced with the newer one. I just really feel it is positioned wrong and hitting a nerve. I have to wait for insurance to hopefuly say yes. I cant get any fills because it makes the pain worse. I had lost 114. Now I have gained 40 back. :-( I hope things get better for you. I told my Dr I never want it removed because I know how fast m weight would go back up. Good luck!

Get a second opinion. I have a friend this happened to...she had a surgery to repair the hernia...then was able to be filled again to restriction. It's not a loss cause just a hurdle.

I am going to book another appointment with a different doctor and see what she's says, as I'm really worried, I've noticed my port it's definitely pinching some nerve as the pain comes suddenly making me jump from pain...usually if I'm sitting just like a spasm and that's what I think is causing also the pain in my left shoulder, my mum lives in Italy and she even told me that I can go there where they would definitely do something about it , unfortunately in the the UK if you go private in a first place and something goes wrong, they are not obliged to do anything about it.

Thank you so much everybody for the lovely advices, Take care hugs xx

I had my Lap Band since January 2007, after having my first restriction I've noticed that I kept feeling sick even after drinking just Water, I went for a scan and they've told me I had developed an Hiatus Hernia and won't be able to restrict the band again.

Ever since on top I have "left Shoulder pains" that mostly come at night or when I sit down for long periods and very painful, also I start having sharp pains in my port feeling like it's pinching a nerve and really painful too.

I now really want my band removed as my life quality is going from worst to worst as petrified to go out and eat in public places just in case I'll jet and feel sick...and that has happened even with just coffee. Nevertheless the pain in the shoulder and port add to the frustration and the fact I haven't been able to eat anything healthy since my op unless blended and sometimes not even that.

Please if anyone had or have similar problems could you let me know.

Thank you God bless

Ok...I know next to nothing about health care in the UK but don't you have some sort of national health care? If you had your appendix removed privately and then started having problems a year or so out with adhesions causing pain to the point of needing surgery, would they also refuse to take care of that?

Your shoulder pain is common and sounds very similar to mine. It only got worse over time. It is called phrenic nerve pain and has to do with some part of the band rubbing against the diaphragm sending a radiating pain up the phrenic never to the left shoulder. I finally had to have my band out about a week ago and the relief from the pain was heavenly.

Im sorry you are having such a bad time. I was banded in 2006. I have had severe shoulder pain from day one. I have to take tramadol for the pain. Not really happy about that but it is horrible. I am trying to get my band replaced with the newer one. I just really feel it is positioned wrong and hitting a nerve. I have to wait for insurance to hopefuly say yes. I cant get any fills because it makes the pain worse. I had lost 114. Now I have gained 40 back. :-( I hope things get better for you. I told my Dr I never want it removed because I know how fast m weight would go back up. Good luck!

I was banded in 2006 and have alot of shoulder pain also, but I dont' take anything. What size is your band?

Sorry I don't know what size is my band, thank you for explaining about the pain in the shoulder I will talk to my doctor once again as perhaps if she knows about it in more details she might decide to do something about it. Here are very strict about going private if you decide to do so you need to research it, I didn't know until things started going wrong that they won't do a thing about it....I was told that it's worst and more complicated to have the band removed is it true Melody?....thank you again for your replies you are wonderful people, take care Maria xx

.I was told that it's worst and more complicated to have the band removed is it true Melody?....thank you again for your replies you are wonderful people, take care Maria xx

Sounds like they're just trying to scare you. My surgeon said they wouldn't know until they went in because it all depended on how much scar tissue there was...but even then he said it still wasn't considered more complicated...it was just a matter of whether they'd have to make a larger incision. In my case, they went through the previous laparoscopic incision *and* removed quite a bit of adhesions. Recovery time is much quicker because I didn't have all the food restrictions postop and none of the soreness with the port incision because there's no port.

You need to discuss this with your surgeon. Sounds dangerous to continue doing what you're doing.

I've got an appointment with a different doctor, hoping she'll help me to have the band removed, in my case I rather have it out as I don't feel any benefit from it on keeping it :-( ....Will let you know how I got on with this appointment and what she got to say, I'm prepared for the battle lol lol thank you everyone for your advises and support. Take care Maria xxxxxxxxx