Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Time For My First Fill

I was banded on 2-28, down about 30lbs and doing fine. No hunger problems, no food problems everything is going great. So my thought is why change anything? I would like to wait until I actually need a fill. Do you have to have a fill?

I was banded on 2-28, down about 30lbs and doing fine. No hunger problems, no food problems everything is going great. So my thought is why change anything? I would like to wait until I actually need a fill. Do you have to have a fill?

Nope! If it isn't broken why fix it, right? Despite what many think/say you don't need a fill to lose weight. I have not had a fill and have lost 112lbs so far with no need of a fill in sight. For some of us having the band provides the restriction we need. Good luck and congrats on your loss so far; 30lbs is great!

If you don't need or want a fill - don't get one. I've had three visits now where I could have had a fill but didn't need it. I'm down 51 pounds in 3.5 months and I am still doing well on my choices for food. Some people are able to get to goal without a fill - Reverie is a great example of that. I think Rueben and Lance are still going without fills too.

I see so many people struggle with eating after their band is adjusted. I don't want to have to go through that and although I have to white-knuckle it every now and then, I don't have the interest in food I once had. If you are feeling the same - forgo the fill. I am sure your surgeon will listen to how you are feeling.

Best wishes!

Don't get one if you don't think you need one. I was banded on 12/2/10 and didn't get my first fill until a couple of weeks ago...up until that time, I didn't think I needed one, and quite frankly I'm not sure if I did the right thing in getting the fill. I chose to get it because I was finding myself hungry an hour or two after eating (my portions were fine because I weigh and measure everything) and the PA felt that a fill would help but after my fill, my weight loss stalled for about 2 weeks. It may be unrelated but I can tell you that I will think long and hard before I get another one if I'm not entirely sure I need it.

Your surgeon's office will still schedule monthly appointments for you to check in with them, get weighed and (if neecessary) get a fill but nothing says you have to get a fill.

No one can give you a fill (or adjust your band) without you agreeing to it. If they do, it would be considered an assault!!

If you're doing well, going 3 to 4 (or more) hours without being hungry.. you're in the green zone and don't need any adjusting.

I agree, you don't have to have a fill but my own personal opinion is that you should keep the appointments - go in, get weighed, have the interaction. I have a couple of band buddies who sort of fell off the wagon about 6-8 months in because they didn't go to their appointments. It's good to have them track how you are doing.

If you aren't hungry, then don't get it :). I had one fill, it was large, but I'm never hungry now, I can't imagine I'll need another one (at least not till I lose enough weight)

The only reason to get a fill is because you're hungry...which means your band still isn't working at its peak. If you aren't hungry, as someone previously said 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it.' Sounds like you're one of the very lucky ones.

Definitely go to the appointment, but have a chat with the doctor. I told my doctor that I wasn't hungry at all. He said as long as I'm not hungry and I'm still losing, a fill is not necessary. Now if I start feeling hungry or am not losing or (horrors) and gaining, then he said a fill should be "considered" (his words, believe it or not). In our pre-op classes, he stressed that fills are basically the patient's decision because it's the patient who really knows if it's needed or not.

Look at it this way: I figure if you don't get the fill, you can always go back and get one. If you get the fill, and you're uncomfortable or having problems (and it's night or a weekend) you're not going to be happy.

I personally don't intend to get a fill unless I reach a plateau of no weight loss for a couple of months or am hungry between meals to the point that I will put anything in my mouth just to curb the hunger. Bottom line is, you have to do what's right for YOU.

I had gone into my last appointment expecting a fill. After the PA looked at my weight and talked to me she said I didn't need one, I was a bit upset. But realize I'm not really hungry between meals, I am losing weight, a little slow for my taste, but I am losing at least 1lb per week average. Why should I risk not being able tO eat certain things and being uncomfortable for a fill. You are losing a lot faster than me, so if I were you I would not get a flll

Thanks to everyone for your advise and input! I'm not going to get a fill until I need one. Right now everything is working just fine. I guess I'm one of the blessed ones to have restriction from the get go. Good luck everyone on your journey!