Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My Lap Band Slipped

I posted this yesterday in the post surgery forum b/c I wasn't aware of this forum. I was hoping to get some feed back from anyone who has experienced their band slipping. I went to the doc Friday for a barium swallow test and just found out the result of the test yesterday (Tuesday). My band has slipped and I am not sure the extent of it. I only talked to the nurse and have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I am curious if anyone has been successful with correcting a slipped band by removing Fluid. From what I have read on this forum, it seems that most people tried taking fluid out and then ended up having surgery to correct it. I am really hoping and praying it can be corrected by having fluid removed since I am a self pay paitient. Also, does anyone know if insurance will cover the surgery when you are having complications if you paid for the surgery yourself?

Any thoughts appreciatied!

Karen

I posted this yesterday in the post surgery forum b/c I wasn't aware of this forum. I was hoping to get some feed back from anyone who has experienced their band slipping. I went to the doc Friday for a barium swallow test and just found out the result of the test yesterday (Tuesday). My band has slipped and I am not sure the extent of it. I only talked to the nurse and have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I am curious if anyone has been successful with correcting a slipped band by removing Fluid. From what I have read on this forum, it seems that most people tried taking Fluid out and then ended up having surgery to correct it. I am really hoping and praying it can be corrected by having fluid removed since I am a self pay paitient. Also, does anyone know if insurance will cover the surgery when you are having complications if you paid for the surgery yourself?

Karen

We sure will be looking for what procedure u had done to correct problem. Any idea what caused it?

Dan

I just had my band removed. I was private pay, and yes my insurance paid for removal.

Just an update. The doc said there was no chance that it would correct itself by taking Fluid out, surgery is the only option. The good news is insurance should cover it and if it doesn't it should cost between $3-4K...which is much better than the $12K I paid to have the surgery.

He said that this does happen in some patients and that it wasn't necessarily caused by being too tight or throwing up.

I was pretty upset to begin with but am dealing with severl other outside issues at the moment. I am glad to know that there is a solution to the problem...I was thinking I would be throwing up for the rest of my life. I am hopefuly the surgery will correct it and I will not have any other issues, but from what I read on this forum, it seems once you start having problems, it just becomes a domino affect and one thing after another happens, until you eventally have the band removed. I am praying that doesn't happen!

Karen, I am so hoping for the best for you...I am on a journey similar to yours but 4 months in your future. This time around I am taking it slow and easy....I understand and sympathize with your wish to not spend your life barfing...I got to the point where I was 118 pounds and liking it but barfing all the time and not feeling well. During the process of being unfilled and re-operated on plus the post op wait and the slow fills I gained 21 pounds. I am not at the fill point I want to be but I am close and the only problems I have is forgetting I have some restriction and having to run to the bathroom...my own fault not because of having more surgery. Give it a chance and make haste slowly and you may have a long term very good outcome.

Best possible wishes, Mimi

Thanks Mimi! I am going to be extra cautious this time around. I am not to my goal weight but I am very happy with my current weight. If I can maintain this and have no more complications I will be a happy camper. I have lost 55 lbs since 1/13/10. (just realized i need to update my photo as that was taken presurgery!)

Glad to hear that you are not having any other complications after your surgical fix!

Yes, do go slowly and listen to your body. Right now I am exercising quite a bit and using my band gently....I would like more restriction but I am also scared of it!!!

Keeo posting, Mimi

Would you mind telling me what kind of test they did to diagnose this? My Dr tells me that they can't do any kind of test on your band or port without doing surgery to find the problem. I've heard different from other friends. Just wondering. I've also heard that they can check your port by ultrasound.

Staciw123, they do x-ray with barium, they make you drink and watch it go down. And they also take a still x-ray.

My band also slipped. I found out yesterday after I did a barrium swallow. My stomach has popped up over the band. I can hardly swallow Water. I am going in for surgery tomorrow. This is so stressful, I am debating wheather to have the band remove or just repair the slip. I have only had 1cc of Fluid in my 10cc since I got it, one year ago. My esophagus is on fire and my stomach is also on fire. I am wondering if I made the right decision by getting this band. I am happy that I have lost 65lbs., but I don't want to risk my health for the sake of being thin.

Wow, you are being rushed into decision making very quickly w/o enough information.

I wish you the best because it sure seems like the band wasn't properly placed to begin with.

Let us know what happens, OK?

Mimi

I just had my band removed. I was private pay, and yes my insurance paid for removal.

what type of insurance did you have and was ther a clause that they cover obesity surgery

what type of insurance did you have and was ther a clause that they cover obesity surgery

My Insurance is United Health Care Choice

They do not pay for Bariatric Surgery! They do have a clause that the do not cover obesity surgery.

Even with this, they paid for the removal of the band. My band was not slipped. I had bad Reflux and a lot of scar tissue. Justification Obstruction removal because I could not eat solid food.

My insurance covers baratric surgery but I wasn't morbidly obease...just severly! so it didn't cover it and it is not going to cover repositioning the slipped band. I can't eat solid food w/ out vomiting and it still isn't covered b/c they didn't cover the initial surgery wasn't covered.

I posted this yesterday in the post surgery forum b/c I wasn't aware of this forum. I was hoping to get some feed back from anyone who has experienced their band slipping. I went to the doc Friday for a barium swallow test and just found out the result of the test yesterday (Tuesday). My band has slipped and I am not sure the extent of it. I only talked to the nurse and have an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. I am curious if anyone has been successful with correcting a slipped band by removing Fluid. From what I have read on this forum, it seems that most people tried taking Fluid out and then ended up having surgery to correct it. I am really hoping and praying it can be corrected by having fluid removed since I am a self pay paitient. Also, does anyone know if insurance will cover the surgery when you are having complications if you paid for the surgery yourself?

Karen

After a year and 100 pounds down, I started gaining weight again and found out my band slipped. My doctor opted to do the revision surgery and my insurance covered it do to the risks of not getting it done. Come to find out that when most surgeons do the band they take part of the stomach up over the band and suture it on both sides. My doctor only did one side so the other slipped up. My new doctor was able to get it back in position and get it tied down. He also put 4cc's in at that time. I am on the liquid diet again till i heal but I am so happy they where able to fix it for me without removing it. The lap band saved my life and sets backs or not, I owe my life to the band.