Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone experience back pain with the band? (Please stay on topic)

Has anyone else experienced long enduring back pain with the band? If so, please describe your symptoms. A short history. A short (attempted) treatment list.

(Please stay on topic in this thread)

Within a week of getting my band put in, I developed a severe upper/middle back pain on the same side as my port (left side). Initially I was told that this was from the surgical gasses used, then i was told that it was gas pains.

2 months later, I developed gallstones and had my gallbladder removed. "Ahhhh, gallstone pain gone, but back pain persists!"

Then my diagnoses was kidney stones, my surgeon slaps me with a 2 month supply of vicoden. It helps a little.

It is suggested that I see a back surgeon. I'm told that I have muscle spasms of unknown origin, I am given muscle relaxants, they help much more than vicoden. I am also given a list of back and abdominal exercises and stretches. I continue these for approximately 1.5 years, no relief.

I see another back surgeon, same diagnosis. He tries to give me the same routine, but I tell him of my diligence in exercises/stretches, so he starts giving me several scripts for different muscle relaxants, they help a little.

One month later a chiropractor who works with the first back surgeon for rehabilitation. He is puzzled as to what causes this problem, yet, he does relieve some of my other back pain, which seems to be caused by the muscle spasm.

All while the above is happening, I go from 315 pounds down to 230, but at the level of restriction that is required to maintain that weight, I notice my health slipping. I start eating a diet that consists mostly of Protein Shakes, Fiber drinks, and junk food; as most wholesome foods make me vomit.

Also, the extreme gas that comes from not being able to burp is becoming extremely limiting to life in modern society. It is IMPOSSIBLE to sit for more than 45 minutes without having a large volume of flatulence, something that simply cannot be had in the college classroom.

I am then unfilled to the point of zero fill. 6 months go by, I gain 40 pounds back, I have gas, but not obscene levels. I can now go as long as two hours without rupturing my pants.

But the inital backpain still persists, and I am now seeking out a surgeon for removal.

I am scouring the online medical literature to see if I can find anything relevant or of help. I am learning.

Questions -

Is the pain constantly present?

Does the level of pain ever vary?

Does the pain tend to spike at certain times of the day/night? If so, when? Does it happen a couple of hours after meals, for instance?

What can you DO that alleviates the level of pain? For instance, does applying pressure over the pain help at all?

Have you been to a chiropractor and was he able to give you any relief? (if you haven't, I strongly recommend it as they can often do wonders with otherwise completely resistant back pain).

My next post will be from an article I found on referred back pain, hoping it may seed some thought.

Chronic Back & "under the shoulder" Pain

Referred pain - that is pain coming from sources elsewhere need to be considered. For instance, the pain associated with disorders of the esophagus, stomach (penetrating ulcer), and pancreas may cause pain under the right shoulder blade.

Any problem that causes irritation of the diaphragm can also cause shoulder pain.

Pain from aortic dissection can also lead to referred pain to the upper spine and shoulder.

A viral respiratory infection could leave you with pleurisy (inflammation of the lining of the lung) that might cause pain in your back. Pneumonia and pulmonary emboli may also do this.

The most common “internal” cause for pain leading to the right shoulder is gall bladder disease. The term for this is “biliary colic.” A person with biliary colic usually complains of an ache or a feeling of pressure in the upper abdomen - but this may be totally absent. Instead, this pain can be referred (spread back) toward the right upper back. Ultrasound can be used to produce pictures of your abdomen to look for gallstones. Most episodes of biliary colic pass after one to five hours. Removal of the gallbladder can miss a stone in the hepatic duct or common bile duct.

A growth on the ribs could cause shoulder pain and should be ruled out by an X-ray.

Disc herniation and arthritis in the neck can cause cervical radiculopathy (pinched nerve) and this can cause pain to be referred to the shoulder. In fact, any patient complaining of shoulder pain should have their neck examined as well.

Pain in the upper or mid back can come from trigger points in the muscles of the back itself, naturally enough. These muscles include the erector spinae, multifidi, trapezius, infraspinatus, subscapularis, serratus posterior superior, rhomboids, latissimus dorsi and serratus posterior inferior.

Trigger points in the scalene muscles of the front and side of your neck can generate a constant irritating ache between your shoulder blades in your upper back. Very few people know that this is one of the very most common causes of back pain.

A trigger point in the serratus anterior muscle under your arm can cause a persistent middle back ache at the lower tip of your shoulder blade that even a trigger point expert can overlook.

Trigger points in the upper part of your rectus abdominis (stomach) muscle can be responsible for a band of pain across your mid back that will elude the best physicians, osteopaths and chiropractors. No kind of therapy applied to the back itself will relieve this pain.

Finally, primary shoulder disorders such as rotator cuff tendonitis, bursitis, and arthritis can cause pain that starts in the shoulder but also travels to the upper back. A special type of bursitis –subscapularis bursitis- is felt underneath the shoulder blade between the shoulder blade and the back. Patients complain of a rubbing feeling and on examination, a grating sensation is noted.

Obviously, the appropriate treatment depends on making the correct diagnosis.

http://www.arthritis-treatment-and-relief.com/back-pain-and-under-the-shoulder-pain.html

Hi Anthony,

Great info Theresa just posted.

Every now and then we hear of someone having long term banding pains like yours. "TrishS." is also having severe pain in her abdomen since banding. You may pm her and compare notes.

The pain must be pretty bad for you to want your band removed. ((hugs)) to you on this decision.

Please keep us posted on your situation. Its the only way WE can stay informed!

Anthony, another girl recently started sending me PMs with something similar. She gets shoulder pain when she eats instead of restriction. She's really frustrated because her only sign of being full is shoulder pain, yet she still feels the need to fill her stomach more. Is this the same kind of pain you're talking about?

I also had back pain after my lap band was put in. I was told it was my esphogas. I tried medicine but it didn't work. THen I wen to the Chiropracter and some how that did the trick. I don't know if this will help you or not.

hi

I have been complaining of back pain,directly in the middle behind my stomach,since the band.Never had it before.It gets very bad if I do something very physical (hard work...) or when I get very tired.It also appears mostly in the afternoon,I think because by then I have been on my feet all day.When I sit down and rest it gets a lot better....With it goes a feeling of discomfort directly between my breasts....

No one's been able to help with this......

You said you were diagnosed with kidney stones. Did you ever pass them? This could be a recurring problem. Sorry you are going through so much pain.:focus:

I would also seek out Jack, he seems to be very body/health smart, I believe a chiropractor. I hope you find a solution to your pain very soon. ~Mandy

On March 1st I will be having my band removed, which will be revised to the Vertical Gastrectomy. I'll let you all know about my back pain after I recover enought to type, although I may not have computer access until a week after the procedure.

I'll keep you all updated.

Thanks for the update, Anthony. I wish you the best! Please let us know how you are doing post-surgery, and how your weight loss journey goes along the way! Good luck!

Hi

Please tell why are they removing your band.My back ache issue (and stomach though..) is not sorted at all and any info will be much appreciated.....

Minor update:

10 weeks postop:

Pros:

+Back pain is gone. (It was gone a couple days after having my band removed).

+Gas is gone, despite consumption of 150g-200g of whey Protein per day.

+Physical hunger is non existent. Head hunger can creep in if I take medications that made me hungry in the past (Antihistamines, lyrica or neurontin for nerve pain [which, coincidentally, I rarely have to take because of lack of back pain]

(I'll add more later)

Anthony,

Please do, I'd love to hear all the scoop about the Vertical Gastrectomy, how it's working and how you are feeling. Thanks for checking in! I'll keep an eye out for you. Sooooo glad your back pain is gone! Did the doc say anything about why he/she thought the band was causing your pain? I'm very interested!