Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating after the lap band

Hi All,

Just had my first meeting with the doctor where he told us how the band works and what we can and can not do and eat.

I am a little concerned about the amount of food we can eat after the lap band. My documents says that I will be able to eat only 1 cup of food per meal.

I can not imagine eating only 1 cup total of food per meal. What is that 3 bites of chicken, 5 green Beans and 2 bites of some kind of fruit?

For those who have had the band for over a year, are you really eating only 1 cup of food per meal?

Also the doctor said to avoid all flour products. That also seems very hard to do. What happens if you eat flour foods?

Thank YOu for your help

Matt

It is true. I wasn't eating one cup of food when I was tighter. I had to have all my Fluid taken out the other day because of a small issue so now I can eat way more than a cup. You really won't be able to eat more than that, and the good thing is you will not want to eat more than that. I know just about when I take one too many bites because I will be in pain.

I had the same worries as you about only eating 3 cups of food or less a day, but I guess that is the good thing about the band.

I wasn't about to eat flour tortillas or things like that before I had all my Fluid taken out. My doctor didn't tell me to avoid those. I just couldn't eat them or else I would be in pain. Pasta, potatoes, etc. don't really give me trouble. I do try to avoid bread.< /p>

After you heal from surgery you want to eat 3-4 oz Protein, 1/2 cup veggies and if needed 1/4 cup starch. I hardly ever eat the starch. Only have a couple times in the 2 months I've been eating normal foods. I do feel full from it and honestly I used to eat Pasta a lot now I'd rather eat more protein if I'm still hungry. Nothing will happen to me if I eat flour products (I have no fill) but some people who have fills can't handle them, they get stuck on pasta or bread.< /p>

I would say I eat about 1 1/2 cups of food... sometimes more or sometimes less, depending on what it is i'm eating. It seems crazy, I know but 1 - 1 1/2 cups really is all you can eat. Never heard the "flour" thing before. I can eat things with flour, but those are usually the things that are not the best choices, maybe that's what he means.

I've been eating regular food for about two weeks now. I have no problems eating anything so far. Even though my band is empty I can only eat about 4oz at a time. I haven't been hungry at all. My doctor told me I can eat anything I want to as long as I can tolerate it. (Each person is different) The important thing is to make good food choices. Like Paul says in the Bible. "All things are permissible but not all things are profitable"! They want you to stay away from things with flour because it's not a good food choice. You have to make sure you eat your Protein first then if you have any room left then you can eat something else. Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey!

so what do you do when you go out to eat? Do you order your food then when it get there you have 4 or 5 bites then your full and your stuck there watching everyone else finish thier meal?

I really want to have this procedure but I am very concerned that I will not be able to eat such small portions. Don't you have to make everyone of your meals by hand. Because if you do anythng else you will wasted a tonof food.

Thanks again for the help.

You don't eat 4-5 bites. You eat slowly. You can go put to eat. You just don't eat everything on your plate. If I get something out, I can make at least 2 a lot of times 3 meals out of it. I went out with friends last week. I did make a mistake I ate some bread first then had salad, then did not really have room for my Protein. I was supposed to eat my protein first, and not eaten bread but it was a lesson. You should not want to eat such large portions because it will make you not feel well. If you don't think you are ready to eat small portions you probably are not ready for this surgery.

so what do you do when you go out to eat? Do you order your food then when it get there you have 4 or 5 bites then your full and your stuck there watching everyone else finish thier meal?

I really want to have this procedure but I am very concerned that I will not be able to eat such small portions. Don't you have to make everyone of your meals by hand. Because if you do anythng else you will wasted a tonof food.< /p>

Thanks again for the help.

Until about 4 months after the band, the few times that I ate at a restaurant, I pretty much ate one entree and no appetizer (I used to eat about 1 entree and 2 appetizers pre-band!). But, if I had wanted to, I still could've probably eaten 3/4s of what I used to eat.

Just recently, though, I went to a restaurant with my friend (I hadn't eaten outside food for a few months) and I ordered an appetizer and an entree (out of habit). When the appetizer came, I could only eat 4 small tofu triangles, which was altogether about 1/4 of the whole appetizer. Then, it suddenly hit me that I also had an entree coming! So, while inwardly cursing myself, I had no choice but to ask the waiter to pack up the rest of the appetizer and the completely untouched entree to go. I just ate the rest for dinner and over the next day. I was partly pissed off at myself for over-ordering, but mostly pleased that the band was really working and to such an extent as to eat just a small fraction of what I used to eat. Yeah, I did sit there while my friend finished their meal, but it wasn't a big deal since they knew about my band and we have a comfortable relationship. Also, if I had ordered more wisely, started off eating slowly and chewing consciously, I probably could've been eating for a while longer.

I suggest to you, if you get the band and you go out to eat with others, that you order a Soup (or maybe something with the consistency of mash-potatoes) and an appetizer. You can also consider ordering just an entree alone. Eat slowly, as if you were being very leisurely about it, and try not to finish too soon before your companions. Also, at some point, just get the rest packed up to-go. It won't have to go to waste; you can eat it the next day.

It's not that weird... for Breakfast I had 2 eggs scrambled with tomatoes, and 2 slices of bacon. lunch I'll have some chicken salad and crackers, dinner 4 meatballs with marinara & cheese. It's really not that little of food... It's not really a matter of you can only eat that much, you are just full after eating less. It's really not like eating rabbit food aha.

When I eat out I get an entree. I usually eat about half of it or a little more. You just can't eat the extra bread, the extra salad, the extra Soup, dessert, sugary drinks... like you were pre-band because you have to watch your calories, and only so much fits in your stomach you will be full.

For me, I eat bread and stuff.. the problem is, it doesn't have a lot of nutrients, and it takes up a lot of space. Generally Protein is a good chunk of your meal to keep you full. I can eat about a half of a big sandwich. But everyone is different!

I haven't been banded long (Feb 16th), but I want to comment on eating out.

Due to my profession I travel long distance or out of state weekly, I pretty much live in Hotels and eat out everyday. Going to dinner alone is no problem, I usually order appitizers, Soups or ala cart. When going out with colleagues if ordering an appitizer or Soup I'll ask the server to hold my meal until the other meals are being served. Because I'm eating slower these day's, it is working out well. One thing I want to mention that was told to me; if you bring home leftovers be cardfull re-heating them as the leftovers tend to become a little tough as they are being cook a little more during the heating process.

Patti

When I go out, I either order a Soup or share my meal with someone. I'm not big on leftovers so sharing is a good option for me.

If you don't think you are ready to eat small portions you probably are not ready for this surgery.

You had some good advice, but I think you shouldn't be so quick to discourage potential bandsters on the basis of their feeling like they couldn't possibly eat so little. I didn't think that I would be happy with 1 cup of food either. In fact, I think many people are surprised at how little they can eat and still feel satisfied once they have restriction.

Also, the OP should know that the process of feeling satisfied on 1 cup of food is gradual and won't happen immediately after the surgery. It may take several months. In the meanwhile, during that time before you feel restricted to one cup, you should make a concerted effort to eat significantly less (and definitely much healthier) than you used to. The time before restriction is sometimes very difficult for bandsters (i.e. the "bandster hell" stage) who try to stick to 1 cup of food even before they feel satisfied with that amount. My pre-restriction stage was quite comfortable because I concentrated only on not over-eating (or not eating until I'm stuffed like I used to) and only eating a small treat 1-2 times a week, rather than trying to eat much less than what I then felt I needed. I never was hungry, but I still lost weight (slowly). Now that I've reached restriction (or very close to it), I can let the band do the rest of the work and I'm losing weight much more rapidly. But, you must first understand why you're at the weight you are and what your binging/over-eating triggers are, in order to find the best strategy of losing weight until restriction. Whatever you do, you must be consistent in order to consistently lose weight. Even before restriction, it doesn't take much to lose 1-2 pounds a week just by making tolerable but consistent changes in your daily eating habits.

I in no way meant he should not get the surgery. I just meant he needs to think before he jumps into it. I wish I had gotten this surgery earlier. But in some ways I don't think I was ready. I liked to eat whatever I wanted. I'd buy bags of cheese doodles and Oreos and stuff and binge. I haven't done that in years, but if I was doing that and decided to jump into the surgery ten, I would not have been ready.

I in no way meant he should not get the surgery. I just meant he needs to think before he jumps into it. I wish I had gotten this surgery earlier. But in some ways I don't think I was ready. I liked to eat whatever I wanted. I'd buy bags of cheese doodles and Oreos and stuff and binge. I haven't done that in years, but if I was doing that and decided to jump into the surgery ten, I would not have been ready.

You're absolutely right when it comes to eating junk. Potential bandsters have to understand that the band will not control their consumption of most junk food. In fact, the food that it most effectively controls the portions of (those foods that you feel full the fastest from) are usually healthy and dense foods like vegetables and unprocessed Protein. Obviously, it would be perfect, for most people, if the band was most effective with junk food. Sadly, that's not the case (although it is pretty kick-ass that I can hardly tolerate bread, since I love bread).

So, yes, potential bandsters must seriously consider whether they are willing or committed to consistently avoiding junk food (not that they can NEVER eat junk, but that they consistently limit themselves to the occasional treat and that they're honest with themselves in how occasional their treats really are). If they are unwilling to change the quality of the foods that they eat, they will likely fail. Even successful bandsters who admit to eating a lot of chocolate with the band will usually go on to tell you that they still choose to eat it much less often then they used to.

Anyhow, what the OP was concerned about was portion sizes and, if you are eating healthy, hearty, and dense foods, the band will help you greatly in that respect (for most people). It's normal to feel like you couldn't possibly eat so little and be satisfied.

So, what I was saying is that this concern is not a sign that you should reconsider the band. As I said, only if you feel like you can't do your part, which is controlling the kinds of foods you eat, then you should reconsider or hold-off on the band.

Very good advise. Can you please help me what types of food are you eating that helps you loose 1-2 pounds a week? I am struggling with this..

You had some good advice, but I think you shouldn't be so quick to discourage potential bandsters on the basis of their feeling like they couldn't possibly eat so little. I didn't think that I would be happy with 1 cup of food either. In fact, I think many people are surprised at how little they can eat and still feel satisfied once they have restriction.

Also, the OP should know that the process of feeling satisfied on 1 cup of food is gradual and won't happen immediately after the surgery. It may take several months. In the meanwhile, during that time before you feel restricted to one cup, you should make a concerted effort to eat significantly less (and definitely much healthier) than you used to. The time before restriction is sometimes very difficult for bandsters (i.e. the "bandster hell" stage) who try to stick to 1 cup of food even before they feel satisfied with that amount. My pre-restriction stage was quite comfortable because I concentrated only on not over-eating (or not eating until I'm stuffed like I used to) and only eating a small treat 1-2 times a week, rather than trying to eat much less than what I then felt I needed. I never was hungry, but I still lost weight (slowly). Now that I've reached restriction (or very close to it), I can let the band do the rest of the work and I'm losing weight much more rapidly. But, you must first understand why you're at the weight you are and what your binging/over-eating triggers are, in order to find the best strategy of losing weight until restriction. Whatever you do, you must be consistent in order to consistently lose weight. Even before restriction, it doesn't take much to lose 1-2 pounds a week just by making tolerable but consistent changes in your daily eating habits.