Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Greetings! On pre-op diet...surgery date 3-28-11

Hello,

My name is Adriana and I'm scheduled for surgery in one and a half weeks! I'm so very excited but have many worries about things I've read online. I'm one of those people that loves to read, so I'm pretty sure I'm overdoing it on the reading and research...but I'd rather be over-prepared and know what to expect or what is possible then under-preparing and then being surprised about something.

Should I be concerned? Or are most of the side effects due to the patient not adhering to the "rules"?

I've also found it really interesting to read about how many members have cheated on their pre-op diet. I'm honestly scared not to follow the directions the dr. has given (even with the cravings that have crept up on me) and I'm REALLY scared about the whole food getting stuck/ vomiting posts.

I'm just wondering what the cause is because I don't want to experience all these awful things, if I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing.

My other fear, of course, is dying on the surgical table. I'm fairly healthy, starting at 250 lbs with borderline High BP but no diagnosed Diabetes yet and no "major" issues to report.

My main motivation is to take action on weight loss to be a better role model for my daughter and also to have the energy and body to be able to play with her more. Then I ask myself, what if I die in a surgery that wasn't required? Am I risking it all to end up leaving her alone?

IS IT WORTH IT?

Obviously I'm going through a lot of thoughts now that the surgery date is so near. Please reply back with your thoughts...I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Should I be concerned? Or are most of the side effects due to the patient not adhering to the "rules"?

Lots of side effects are due to people not following the rules post op! The pre op diets are to try to rid your liver of fat to make it more "pliable" durring surgery. (the liver sits over the top of the stomach and can be difficult to move if it is too fatty) My doctor just said low fat and no fried foods for 2 weeks pre op. I wasn't really great at sticking to it, but I made sure that I drank alot of Water and cranberry juice to flush the liver.

I've also found it really interesting to read about how many members have cheated on their pre-op diet. I'm honestly scared not to follow the directions the dr. has given (even with the cravings that have crept up on me) and I'm REALLY scared about the whole food getting stuck/ vomiting posts.

Small bites, size of a dime, try to stay away from bread, CHEW, CHEW, CHEW! Follow the rules from your surgeon for post-op diet...they are very important. Vomiting happens as you get used to the feeling of a full pouch (it feels like you have taken a bite of meat that is too big and it is stuck in your chest, where the top of your stomach is located) if you feel the "full feeling"...spit whatever is in your mouth out....you will make yourself vomit!

I'm just wondering what the cause is because I don't want to experience all these awful things, if I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing.

My other fear, of course, is dying on the surgical table. I'm fairly healthy, starting at 250 lbs with borderline High BP but no diagnosed Diabetes yet and no "major" issues to report.

There is always a risk of dying on the table, but there is also a risk of dying due to complications from being morbidly obese! Inform yourself about the risks, but look in some of the "victory" threads too. The results of other members is amazing!

My main motivation is to take action on weight loss to be a better role model for my daughter and also to have the energy and body to be able to play with her more. Then I ask myself, what if I die in a surgery that wasn't required? Am I risking it all to end up leaving her alone?

IS IT WORTH IT?

The first 4 days, my thought was "what did I do to myself? This WAS NOT worth it!" Now, I feel GREAT! and would do the surgery, endure the 4 days, and pay all of the money (I was a self pay patient) all over again! This has been a great tool and has helped me gain so much control and I am only 2 weeks in!

Thank you for your post!

I was reading through some other threads last night and did come to the conclusion (which I had already set my mind to anyhow) that this is the right choice for me. I'm just a very anxious/ nervous person and over-reading sometimes gets me in trouble lol.

I do appreciate the straight-forward responses and I'm glad your journey has begun on the right foot! Best of luck to you!

Now I just need to add a signature!

Hi,

My sister and I are both on the 2 week pre-op diet. Today is the second day and it hasnt been so bad! We are both having our surgeries on April 1st in Dallas Texas. You can google "Liver Reduction diet" and it explains alot!

Amanda

Hello Adriana, I just entered my 6th week, post op! I have lost 33 pounds so far! I started out at 187 and am now at 154. Size 20 to a 12-14. I am 4' 10" tall. It has been well worth it to me! I did not cheat on my pre-diet, like you, fear kept me from it :rolleyes:! But I am happy I didn't. I had no complications during surgery even though I have micro vascular heart disease and have a past stroke history! I won't lie to you, I had a lot of pain, especially the first 4 days after wards, but I am allergic to opiate pain medication so I did the surgery on Extra Strength Tylenol! The post op diet the first two weeks is not a lot of fun, Clear liquids then thick Soup style foods/protein drinks! But the time flies fast and the third week you start adding real foods! I would still do it all over again! I have had NO nausea and vomiting, BUT I adhere to the diet plan completely! It you do that, I can safely say you will not have any problems either. The two friends I have who did not adhere to the plan had the nausea and vomiting! I also take Gummy Multi Vitamins every day and supplement with 1 Protein drink a day split between meals as part of my liquids to make sure I am getting enough Protein and Vitamins every day. I wish you all the best with your surgery!

Hello,

My name is Adriana and I'm scheduled for surgery in one and a half weeks! I'm so very excited but have many worries about things I've read online. I'm one of those people that loves to read, so I'm pretty sure I'm overdoing it on the reading and research...but I'd rather be over-prepared and know what to expect or what is possible then under-preparing and then being surprised about something.

IS IT WORTH IT?

Obviously I'm going through a lot of thoughts now that the surgery date is so near. Please reply back with your thoughts...I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Hi Adriana, I'm scheduled the day after you! I'm nervous as well about getting sick and throwing up. It's probably my biggest fear! I've asked my Dr's office many times about what makes me throw up, and what I've basically heard is that each person is different. Some foods might upset me, that won't you. Also eating too much and not chewing well enough like someone else mentioned.

I'll be looking forward to seeing you post while you are post op. Maybe we can compare!

:)

Good Luck!

Kate

Hello and Good Luck on your up coming surgery!!! We have a lot in common. Our surgery dates are the same, we read a lot, and of course we have the same fears!!! I asked questions of my psychologist and dietician at Temple, but realize after reading these boards not everyone gets all their questions answered. Regarding pre-op diet. I have followed mine to the "T", the previous post is exactly right about the liver etc. That being said, your mind and body plays tricks on you, so I journal, blog and I play my own version of Survivor. I keep telling my self this is getting my body ready for my "new life". The people I have chosen to tell are supportive, if someone says something negative or says something that sways my motivation "like, how can you only drink shakes?, or how can you only live on bites of food after your surgery?", I explain it to them, but I almost start to feel superior!!!!! I explained this to the psychologist and he said it is normal and that is a tool that would help in my success! I am not going to let people make me feel bad about my choices in life anymore!!!!! I'm done, so I think everyone should surround themselves with a great support system first and foremost and educate themselves and the motivation to succeed will come also! Regarding the post-op. My team has me following a two day clear liquid then two weeks shakes then progression to full, then slowly to healthy eating (I am speeding it up here!!!), it's explained to me simply but when I was stressed out about reading some of the failure rates. If you don't follow the plan EXACTLY, the likely hood of failure greatly increases (that includes, slippage, hernias, increase reflux, ulcerations, pouch expanding, etc). So it is important to learn healthy eating habits with this tool. The first thing they said is to avoid eating and drinking at the same time (your banding will act as a funnel, and flush the food out), drink 1/2 hour prior to and 45 min. after a meal to stay full longer. Eat Protein first, ALWAYS. You will always fill up faster and less bloating. Our neurotransmitters that tell our stomachs that we are full lay at the top of our stomachs so if the band fit in that area food hits those transmitters sends a signal to your brain saying you are full. Of course the trick is getting to the reason of why we have to stuff ourselves!

Tips that Temple has gives me to help overcome this are:

Like previously posted, chew your food (over chew actually) When we actually chew are food we start sending those signals to the brain that trigger those transmitters telling us that we are starting to get satisifed and in 15 min. we should be full. (that's why it helps to have a small stomach because it takes us longer to eat!!!! pretty cool huh!!! So don't over stuff never ever!!!

The no no on eating and drinking together!

Keep a food journal, this is a must!!!! I use one on my phone. Myfitnesspal.com It also has a forum great tool!!!!

Exercise, we all know why this is important!

Small bites, no carbination, preferred no alcohol for at least first 18 mths. No sweet drinks that slide through or ice cream!!!

Call MD for anything out of ordinary and keep all appointments.

I think these are the important ones that stood out for me, but I know this board can add to this!!!! They are great support.

Peace,

Joleen