Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Have to do a sleep study. Boo!

I've heard bad things about them. I almost wish I had lied and said that I do not snore or feel tired when I wake up. Does anyone know if they let you use melatonin or other sleep aids for them? I usually take a melatonin at night so I know I wouldn't be able to get to sleep with electrodes and wires all over me and in a strange place with people watching me without it!

I did a sleep study and they do not allow you to take any sleep aids. You have all the electrodes hooked up on your legs, chest, back, arms and on your head then you have to lay flat on your back they shut the lights out and you go to sleep (staying on your back) which was the hardest part for me becuase I usually sleep on my sides. It felt like I laid there for hours before I fell asleep but in the morning they had me fill out a questionairre and gave me the correct answers after. I actually fell asleep in 27 minutes, woke up 9 times coughing and needed my inhaler 1 time and they woke me up at 6am and I was still exhausted. Good luck it isnt fun but has to be done.

I was allowed to take Melatonin & they also allowed the TV to stay on. No one is in the room with me & they remotely turned the TV off after I was asleep. Was it the most comfortable night I have ever spent, NO but it wasn't the worst night sleep either. My doctor ordered a half & half study. The first half of the night I had the electrodes etc attached and the second half the kept the electrodes & added the CPAP machine. This way it could be calibrated appropriately for my needs without having to go back another tie. Obviously every sleep center has different protocols as well as different doctor give different instructions. I thought of it as prep for surgery night :)

Good Luck, you are on your way to your new life!!

hello i aswell was allowed a sleep aid..... its really hard to fall asleep in a strange place with all the crap hooked up to you. i have had two sleeps studies done in two diffrent hospitals. mine allowed the sleep aid because they said well they need to do a study and they very well cant do one if your awake :blink: i was also allowed to watch television :lol: i would check before hand so you can get a better idea of what to expect....good luck!

Hi, Don't worry about the sleep study: it really wasn't bad at all. I had to go for a sleep study, and i worried about the same things, but I actually had a great nights sleep. You'll do fine.

I've heard bad things about them. I almost wish I had lied and said that I do not snore or feel tired when I wake up. Does anyone know if they let you use melatonin or other sleep aids for them? I usually take a melatonin at night so I know I wouldn't be able to get to sleep with electrodes and wires all over me and in a strange place with people watching me without it!

I didn't even ask. I took 2 melatonin before I left theh ouse, made the 40 min drive there, told them I took the pills. No problem. The elctrodes themselves only bothered me on the face (itchy) and they had a thing by my nose that was an irritance. The bed was comfortable. I was allowed to sleep on my back or sides. It wasn;t the best nights sleep, but not the worst. ;) And well worth ot for a couple reasons: they did diagnose sleep apnea, which helped get my band surgery approved and also got me on a cpap to treat my snoring & fatigue! I also got a great prescription fromt he sleep doctor to keep me awake when I work graveyard shift. Oh and my study was a 2-nighter, the first to diagnose and the second a few weeks later to evalute my cpap.

So, I'm soooooo glad I went!

Goo dluck...and really, don't sweat it.

Yeah, I found out AFTER the fact that I could take melatonin. I really really reeeeallly wish I would have known that because I only got about an hour and a half of sleep. I would take only about half or a quarter of a pill though, because they wake you up pretty early & you gotta drive home! At least that's how it was for where I went.

I took 2 PM's for both my studies. I didn't have the half and half. I had to do one night with just the wires then from there they decided what pressure my cpap should be and I had to go back and sleep with the machine on. It wasn't the best sleep ever but it wasn't the worst. It's like staying in a hotel room. Good luck with everything!! Let us know how it goes.

I had to do 2 nights, 1 to diagnose, 1 to sleep with CPAP. I made sure the day of the study to go for a nice long walk in the park in the fresh air. By the time I got there I was so darn tired, I was sound asleep within 1 minute. The doctor said to me they never witnessed someone falling into a full on dead sleep that fast in his career. LOL The wires were annoying but I sleep on my sides and did so then. I kept kicking the leg wire off in my sleep and they kept coming in to wake me to put it back on. Then I kept taking the thing on my finger off and they had to come in and put that back on. The night of the sudy with the CPAP, I continually sat up and took the mask off and threw it on the floor. I had no idea I was doing it. They had to wake me to put it back on. To this day, I take the mask off at some point in my sleep and find it behind the head board, in the bed, or on the floor running when I wake in the morning. All in all it was not that horrible.