Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi!

I have been thinking about getting the lap band for awhile now. I am only 19yrs old. However, I have been struggling with my weight for as long as I can remember. I now weight 295lbs and I know I must do something about it. I am very nervous to start the process and am not even to sure how to start the process. I am a student and I have little to no money so I would hope that my insurance would cover the surgery. Even if my insurance covered the surgery would I have to pay for hospital care (the stay, anesthesia,... things like this) I have hypothyroidism and i am very nervous that either the doctors will not let me have the surgery because of it or that it will restrict me from losing weight after the surgery.

Stories would be great and if anyone has hypothyroidism has it complicated their surgery in any way?

Even if my insurance covers the surgery will there be some cost that is in the small print that no one notices until after the surgery?

Thank You biggrin.gif

I was banded when I was 19 so I know how you feel. I weighed 245lbs and didn't wanna get any bigger. Since last May I've lost 112lbs! I was scared too as Lapband was my first surgery, so I had all sorts of emotions flowing through my head. I don't have hypothyrodism but I just wanted to say I don't regret my decision in the least!

Your out of pocket pay will depend on your insurance company. Mine covered 85%, I had to pay the remaining 15%, which wasn't much at all, $500-700 maybe, I forget. You can easily find out by calling your insurance company and asking if weight-loss surgery is covered, etc.

Good luck!

Wow Congrats on losing so much!

Thank you, I am thinking I would rather take the risk of the surgery then to get diabetes or any life threatening health problems. I am blessed to not have gotten diabetes. I have a doctors apt next week and am excited to speak with her about the lap band. You were young getting your lap band, did you tell your friends/family did they notice the rapid weight loss how did you deal with the people around you?

I have been struggling with hypothyroidism for the past 6 years....still trying to get levels evened out! My Endocrineologist was very supportive and my Bariatric doctor said I would have NO PROBLEM with hypo and the band. I can still take my meds (they are small enough), but you do have to take caution when eating anything with Calcium within 3 hours of taking your meds....that makes Protein shakes something that I have in the afternoon or evening! It has been a great experience so far!

Good luck!

chenafi: Welcome to LBT, there's a ton of experiences you can find helpful here. Plenty of reading and most Bandsters will be happy to respond to specific questions. Gathering information helps us all make better decisions. cheers on your journey

hmm35502- Thank You!! That's exactly the answer that I have been wanting. So they gave you the surgery without you your levels all being equal? I just want to make sure because I am having the same problem. WOW!! 3 hrs thats going to be difficult compared to the usual 1 hr.

Jack- I know thank you. For the last month every amount of free time I have has been going through the forums and reading everyones experiences.

My doctor has always said 3 hours to eat anything with calcium...1 hour for everything else...something about the Calcium attaching to the meds and rendering it less effective! Definately talk to your endo....I have my first endo appt since surgery tomorrow! Good luck! You'll do great. I wish I would have thought of doing this at 19 instead of 13 years later!

Hey!! I know what u must be feeling..i'm 23 and when i first began the process i was 21...it has been a long journey for my but it is very very much worth it. I am gonna be banned on April 29th. I have hypothyroidism just like u do and i've had it since i was like 15...so i deff know where ur comming from there. My dr told me it wouldn't hold me back from loosing any weight..she told me that i was the only one who could hold myself back!!! About the cost..it does depend on what type of insurance u have. My insurance is gonna cover all the cost ..with my insurance my dr had to prove to them that this surgery is a do or die kind of thing and with my other medical problems do to weight they approved me. If u are really considering getting the lapband surgery and u have any questions about what the process is like or anything i would be glad to help u anyway i can... :D

hmm33502- Wow I didn't know that about the calcium. Thank you!

Jessica- I was diagnosed at a very young age as well I was either 12 or 13. At first the doctors thought I had cancer, but it was just so inactive. Thank you. I am actually not doubting the surgery like some people are because i figure if i don't do something about my weight it will kill me. I am only worried that my insurance will deny me. However, my bmi is very high and i am pre diabetic and i have a large family history of diseases.

I saw my ENDO today and, according to them, I have lost 20 lbs sincy my last visit there (in DEC). I got some other info about HYPO and lab band. They said that we need to be on the lookout for the jittery, anxious, fast hear beat, palpatations feeling because it is very easy to fall into the HYPER range for every 15-20 lbs lost. Make sure that you are seeing your endo regularly. Mine won't let me go past 3 months on regulated meds and 1 month on changed meds!

I will have the official and post the weight loss count on Wednesday when I see my WLS!