Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone. I'm new to this site and am very eager to learn from you all the pros and cons of the lap band surgery. I am seriously considering this procedure, due to both my doctor and my insurance health coach advising me to do it. I need to lose about 100 pounds; and no matter what else I've tried, it seems impossible.

I am experiencing a laundry list of various health problems; and my insurance coach seems to think most all of the problems can be resolved if I just get the weight off. The thought of having this surgery done is very frightening. Therefore, I am wanting to learn everything I can prior to having it done (if I do). I thank you guys ahead of time for any help you can give me.

Congrats on making the decision to change your life! I am in the pre-band process but I am happy and willing to share anything I have learned with you.

Good Luck!

Hi,

I got banded in April '06 and have lost 90lbs to date. It was the BEST decision of my life. I was sooooo nervous wondering if I was making the right decision. I was self pay and my husband was reluctantly going along with my decision. I felt a lot of pressure. I have not looked back. It has changed my life. This year I will finally post before and after pictures. I've gone from a size 20 to a size 6/7. Very few complications other than my port practically sticks out now that I'm so thin. That's a small price to pay though. I've had very few complications. No, I don't get to eat everything I want to eat but isn't that the purpose of the band?? I deal with purging from time to time due to the level of restriction I have from my two fills. But this is why I've lost 90lbs also!! I don't purge everything but some foods just don't agree with me anymore. I'm okay with that.

Recovery time .... what recovery time? The day of the surgery I recovered in the hotel room and the next day my husband and I were up walking around Tijuana. That was the only recovery time I needed. Afterward I went sight-seeing in San Diego for a couple days before returning home. The 'gas' people talk about is not gas like burping or farting but shoulder pain. I believe it's described as the gas used to inflate your stomach for the surgery or something like that. I bought Gas-X strips to help with the pain and was fine. Be sure to pack those.

Wishing you the very best with your decision. I hope info from a bandster 5 yrs post-op helps! Let me know if you need anything else.

Lynn

Hi... I am new to this site.. my name is nonna3. I have had the lap band for 5 years now. I had lost 100 pds. I have since Christmas gained 17 pounds. I have been thrilled with the band until this moment. Please realize.. you can gain the weight back if you make poor food choices and get back into the same bad habits. Mine was Coke. I can't drink diet.. it gives me Migraines. I didn't have any for a long time and then figured I could have one a day. Well.. it has been terrible. I started gaining and went back to get a fill and the dr. asked me about reflux.. which I have been having. I had a upper GI series and found that I have gastritis., and my esophagus has expanded in size to compensate for the amount of food I can now eat. I am miserable. I am so scared to gain the weight back and so scared to have these problems.

Hello Everyone. I'm new to this site and am very eager to learn from you all the pros and cons of the lap band surgery. I am seriously considering this procedure, due to both my doctor and my insurance health coach advising me to do it. I need to lose about 100 pounds; and no matter what else I've tried, it seems impossible.

I am experiencing a laundry list of various health problems; and my insurance coach seems to think most all of the problems can be resolved if I just get the weight off. The thought of having this surgery done is very frightening. Therefore, I am wanting to learn everything I can prior to having it done (if I do). I thank you guys ahead of time for any help you can give me.

Wow Nonna I'm really sorry to hear of the problems you're having. I've never heard of the esophagus expanding to accommodate the food. That's interesting to know. I certainly hope your surgeon offers some suggestions to get you back on track. I know how hard it is to kick to soda addiction. Keep searching til you find answers - you've come too far to turn back now. Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing.