Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Finally off the plateau (LONG)

I've been stuck on a plateau for almost 3 months now. It's been VERY frustrating as many of you know that have plateaued as well. No matter what I was doing, I couldn't seem to lose any more for 3 months. I was working out anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hours EVERY single day taking in anywhere from 1200-1500 calories. I tried changing around the workouts, adding weights, upping and lowering calories. I already do anywhere from 80-120 grams of Protein a day and wasn't doing a whole LOT of carbs...but was doing some in moderation. I think for the workouts I've been doing, you HAVE to do some. I've been pretty disciplined and just couldn't lose anymore. Sure, I was feeling my clothes loosen up and have gained a good amount of muscle, but come on..there HAS to be some point when you start seeing it on the scale right???! The number on the scale doesn't matter...ppppppffffffft! Let's be real....we want to see smaller numbers on the scale too.

My doctor has been telling me to just eat 3 meals a day and that's it....no snacking in between each meal. Eat for about 30 minutes until you are full and satisfied...not bursting or stuffing yourself...but stopping when you are full. No Snacks in between, not even fruits or vegetables. I thought he was nuts. I mean, as long as I keep my calories down and am tracking everything I put in my mouth, who CARES WHEN I eat it right? and we've always heard nutritionists say 6 small meals a day etc...it just didn't sound right. I asked him....well, what if I get hungry in between? He said...deal with it.....you are GOING to get hungry sometimes. It doesn't mean every time you feel hunger, you put something in your mouth. Condition myself to just have the 3 meals.

After the 3rd month of no loss, and him telling me to do it this way AGAIN I decided to finally try it his way. What could it hurt. It was tough the first day, I was used to eating small amounts through the day and writing everything down that I was eating. After a few days, it got easier and easier to not want to constantly be grazing and just have the 3 meals. I realized that the band really WAS working in that even though I could eat a good amount (more than half a cup that's for sure), it still really wasn't all THAT much in the grand scheme of things..and definitely not as much as I could eat before. After 5 days of this...I've lost 4 pounds. I'm sure it will slow down again eventually, but YAY!!! finally!! I was amazed that something like that actually made a difference. That is the only thing that I have changed.

I'm not saying that it will work for everyone and I know that some people will not agree with this since everyone's doctors are different, but for those of you out there that have found yourself on a plateau, it's just throwing this out there in case it helps someone else. I do still make smart choices...I'm not scarfing down a plate of fettucine alfredo in 30 minutes, but it's been liberating for the first time NOT to be tracking every piece of food I put in my mouth and not obsessing over food. It's been working for me to get me off the plateau, so thought I would share in case it helped someone else.

I've been stuck on a plateau for almost 3 months now. It's been VERY frustrating as many of you know that have plateaued as well. No matter what I was doing, I couldn't seem to lose any more for 3 months. I was working out anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hours EVERY single day taking in anywhere from 1200-1500 calories. I tried changing around the workouts, adding weights, upping and lowering calories. I already do anywhere from 80-120 grams of Protein a day and wasn't doing a whole LOT of carbs...but was doing some in moderation. I think for the workouts I've been doing, you HAVE to do some. I've been pretty disciplined and just couldn't lose anymore. Sure, I was feeling my clothes loosen up and have gained a good amount of muscle, but come on..there HAS to be some point when you start seeing it on the scale right???! The number on the scale doesn't matter...ppppppffffffft! Let's be real....we want to see smaller numbers on the scale too.

My doctor has been telling me to just eat 3 meals a day and that's it....no snacking in between each meal. Eat for about 30 minutes until you are full and satisfied...not bursting or stuffing yourself...but stopping when you are full. No Snacks in between, not even fruits or vegetables. I thought he was nuts. I mean, as long as I keep my calories down and am tracking everything I put in my mouth, who CARES WHEN I eat it right? and we've always heard nutritionists say 6 small meals a day etc...it just didn't sound right. I asked him....well, what if I get hungry in between? He said...deal with it.....you are GOING to get hungry sometimes. It doesn't mean every time you feel hunger, you put something in your mouth. Condition myself to just have the 3 meals.

After the 3rd month of no loss, and him telling me to do it this way AGAIN I decided to finally try it his way. What could it hurt. It was tough the first day, I was used to eating small amounts through the day and writing everything down that I was eating. After a few days, it got easier and easier to not want to constantly be grazing and just have the 3 meals. I realized that the band really WAS working in that even though I could eat a good amount (more than half a cup that's for sure), it still really wasn't all THAT much in the grand scheme of things..and definitely not as much as I could eat before. After 5 days of this...I've lost 4 pounds. I'm sure it will slow down again eventually, but YAY!!! finally!! I was amazed that something like that actually made a difference. That is the only thing that I have changed.

I'm not saying that it will work for everyone and I know that some people will not agree with this since everyone's doctors are different, but for those of you out there that have found yourself on a plateau, it's just throwing this out there in case it helps someone else. I do still make smart choices...I'm not scarfing down a plate of fettucine alfredo in 30 minutes, but it's been liberating for the first time NOT to be tracking every piece of food I put in my mouth and not obsessing over food. It's been working for me to get me off the plateau, so thought I would share in case it helped someone else.

This is a great Post. Now all I have to do is try it.

Good post! I'll have to keep this in mind if ever I should find myself in the same situation.

Thank you!!

I have been at a plateau for longer than I could ever imagine. I am going to try that maybe that would work for me. I find myself eating throughout the day and I know that my dr said that I should only eat 3 meals and no snacking. Great post, I am going to give that a try.

Congrats on your success on getting over your plateau - way to work through it and follow your doctors advice!

I just wanted to mention that I have been told eating more than about 60-70 grams of Protein a day can cause you to HOLD onto the pounds. My doctor and nutritionist say that too much Protein can trick your body into thinking you are trying to gain weight (as in body builders etc.), I think the formula is your weight divided by 2.2 -- and that is your "goal" of protein intake. You may want to ask your doctor about this - or just try it and see if it helps you lose more.

Congrats on your success on getting over your plateau - way to work through it and follow your doctors advice!

I just wanted to mention that I have been told eating more than about 60-70 grams of Protein a day can cause you to HOLD onto the pounds. My doctor and nutritionist say that too much Protein can trick your body into thinking you are trying to gain weight (as in body builders etc.), I think the formula is your weight divided by 2.2 -- and that is your "goal" of protein intake. You may want to ask your doctor about this - or just try it and see if it helps you lose more.

Wrong. I eat up to 150g of protein a day and I haven't gained a thing. If anything people losing weight should up their protein as to lose FAT and not muscle mass. Also to build lean muscle mass to replace the fat lost. Too much protein doesn't trick your body into anything. Body builders aren't gaining weight, they're gaining muscle mass, there is a huge difference and body builders don't gain mass because of protein, it's working out and heavy weight-lifting :). One should eat .8g-1.8g of protein per kg, on the higher end if you exercise regularly.

Anyway, thanks OP for the thread. My weight hasn't been moving like I want it to but I have to eat 1500 calories a day and that isn't happening in 3 meals. I plan 6 per day so I don't see it as "snacking" since I plan the meals, especially my pre-workout meal.

I was concerned also about not getting enough calories in 3 meals since I work out so much. Also, really after looking back at my caloric intake for the past few months, I was taking a big amount of my calories for the day in the "snack" category which wasn't during my three sit down meals. The concern over not getting enough calories was why I have been hesitant to do the 3 meals a day like my dr has been telling me. After we discussed it, he told me not to worry so much about my calories. As long as I'm still making good decisions on what I'm eating and just doing it all in the 3 meals instead of eating through the day, the band will take care of how much I need to eat. Now that I'm doing the 3 meals a day instead of the grazing through the day in small amounts, I moved all the calories into the 3 meals. Because of this, I don't feel the need anymore to eat more meals through the day, because i'm actually FULL after a meal. It's the first time that I REALLY have been feeling my band working for me. Am I able to eat more than a 1/2 cup a day? absolutely... but it's about a cup to a cup and a half all together of food and i'm DONE. He always said the band would work for me if I would just let it. He was right... I never felt FULL because I was never eating enough to make me feel full in one sitting and was just stretching food out all day long. Other than a short period of tightness after my second fill, I've never really felt that the band was working for me. I believe it now.

I just hope that it keeps up!!!

Reverie...No need to be rude. Your arrogance is offensive... not sure what makes you smarter than my doctors, nutritionists and dieticians - I just added it as something to consider - not dictating.

Wrong. I eat up to 150g of Protein a day and I haven't gained a thing. If anything people losing weight should up their Protein as to lose FAT and not muscle mass. Also to build lean muscle mass to replace the fat lost. Too much protein doesn't trick your body into anything. Body builders aren't gaining weight, they're gaining muscle mass, there is a huge difference and body builders don't gain mass because of protein, it's working out and heavy weight-lifting :). One should eat .8g-1.8g of protein per kg, on the higher end if you exercise regularly.

Anyway, thanks OP for the thread. My weight hasn't been moving like I want it to but I have to eat 1500 calories a day and that isn't happening in 3 meals. I plan 6 per day so I don't see it as "snacking" since I plan the meals, especially my pre-workout meal.