Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling great physically but....

I'm super sad! I didn't expect this. I thought I would be in pain, which I'm not really. My recovery has been easy physically! I'm trying to take it one day at a time. I knew it was going to be a huge adjustment with the change in eating but I didn't really tihnk that would lead to me being so sad and emotional. I guess its like losing my best friend....

I'm 4 days post-op today! I really have no pain and am getting around fine. Anyone else feel similar?

Don't stress it. Everyone feels that way at first. My dr told me before I had my surgery that its going to be sad cuz we r giving up our best friend its like our best friend suddenly became our enemy and its depressing. But it gets better when u see the scale going down! Good luck!

I felt that way during my preop diet. It was weird but it does pass quicker than you think. Hang in there!

After my surgery, I just felt lost. Life revolved more around food and it just felt weird. It takes an adjustment, I just find other things to do and it gets even better when the numbers on the scale start getting smaller. B)

YES!!! I had surgery 2/28 and I felt depressed for a good week. Took a week off work and went back exactly 1 week the surgery... started feeling more level by end of Day 7 into day 8. Now its pretty much business as usual. Hang in there!:rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies! You guys make me feel much better. I'm just taking it one day at a time and trying to get out of the house as much as possible. Thanks again!

Yes that's totally normal. It's like you don't realize that your life revolved around food until it can't anymore. It's eye opening for sure and it takes getting used to.

Just keep moving and walking and find a new hobby instead.

Thank you for posting this. I never would have thought about it like that. I'm getting banded April 14th and it's good to know to expect that. In my psych eval we talked about the emotional side but mostly as it pertained to be able to handle the changes, not to expect grief. Which, really, makes quite a lot of sense. Good luck to you!!!

Yes that's totally normal. It's like you don't realize that your life revolved around food until it can't anymore. It's eye opening for sure and it takes getting used to.

Just keep moving and walking and find a new hobby instead.

I wish I would have known about this site before my surgery...sure...throughout my getting approved for the lapband, I went through psych evaluation, counseling ect...but never really got to hear about the grief I would feel "losing my best friend:FOOD"....I didn't have to go on a pre-surg diet..so when I came home post-op aand started that liquid diet...man,oh man....food was everywhere. If I watched tv...there was food....when i'd take my kids to school....restuarants, stores ect. neighbors cooking...food scents everywhere. I got banded Feb 8th....that weekend was Valentine's weekend...supposed to be all loved up w/my honey. Nope....not me...I regretted so much having my surgery done that week. It was Valentine's weekend and a week before my birthday. That is when it hit me...all my adventures, my relationships (kids, boyfriend, best friends) seems like everything I do had a "food connection". Not in a bad way...but I come from a big southern family. I love to entertain & cook. I'm known for my culinary skills (plus I'm artsy with it) so ppl have paid me to bake, cook things for them. I love doing it. But here we go, Valentine's weekend, I can't even eat a chocolate Hershey Kiss...let alone go on a date w/my boyfriend of 4 yrs. He's supportive...sweet...the kindest person I've known in my life...and what did I do???? I took out all my anger & frustration (and grief) [because I no longer have my "crutch" food to turn to like before] on him. If I'd known I would feel so up one day and down the next...I would've just asked him to stay away for a few days until I got the swing of this post-up plan.....so to this day....I haven't spoken to him. I've apologized immensely...he says he accepts my apology but needs me to really think about how I need to treat ppl who are in my corner. (we talk through emails because I am trying to respect his wishes with giving this time. I wish I could explain to him that all of us new bandsters have an adjustment period....but still....my behavior (words) were so uncalled for....I know in time...we will be back together...it is just so sad how an addiction (period) can destroy...just maybe...someone will read this...before their surgery...and can learn from my mistake....It is an adjustment....more than they tell you at the dr's office....just be easy on yourself and definitely...be easy on your loved ones....IT's GOOD TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT...just don't let it go too far like I did. 19lbs down...but I don't have my best friend by my side right now...because I was an emotional loud-mouthed wreck. In due time...I'm a work in progress. LOL

I wish I would have known about this site before my surgery...sure...throughout my getting approved for the lapband, I went through psych evaluation, counseling ect...but never really got to hear about the grief I would feel "losing my best friend:FOOD"....I didn't have to go on a pre-surg diet..so when I came home post-op aand started that liquid diet...man,oh man....food was everywhere. If I watched tv...there was food....when i'd take my kids to school....restuarants, stores ect. neighbors cooking...food scents everywhere. I got banded Feb 8th....that weekend was Valentine's weekend...supposed to be all loved up w/my honey. Nope....not me...I regretted so much having my surgery done that week. It was Valentine's weekend and a week before my birthday. That is when it hit me...all my adventures, my relationships (kids, boyfriend, best friends) seems like everything I do had a "food connection". Not in a bad way...but I come from a big southern family. I love to entertain & cook. I'm known for my culinary skills (plus I'm artsy with it) so ppl have paid me to bake, cook things for them. I love doing it. But here we go, Valentine's weekend, I can't even eat a chocolate Hershey Kiss...let alone go on a date w/my boyfriend of 4 yrs. He's supportive...sweet...the kindest person I've known in my life...and what did I do???? I took out all my anger & frustration (and grief) [because I no longer have my "crutch" food to turn to like before] on him. If I'd known I would feel so up one day and down the next...I would've just asked him to stay away for a few days until I got the swing of this post-up plan.....so to this day....I haven't spoken to him. I've apologized immensely...he says he accepts my apology but needs me to really think about how I need to treat ppl who are in my corner. (we talk through emails because I am trying to respect his wishes with giving this time. I wish I could explain to him that all of us new bandsters have an adjustment period....but still....my behavior (words) were so uncalled for....I know in time...we will be back together...it is just so sad how an addiction (period) can destroy...just maybe...someone will read this...before their surgery...and can learn from my mistake....It is an adjustment....more than they tell you at the dr's office....just be easy on yourself and definitely...be easy on your loved ones....IT's GOOD TO KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT...just don't let it go too far like I did. 19lbs down...but I don't have my best friend by my side right now...because I was an emotional loud-mouthed wreck. In due time...I'm a work in progress. LOL

i completely agree. my husband and i have had numerous conversations. i too have been very vocal. i explained to him. i dont have food to fall back on now. i used to smoke so i could go outside take a smoke and cool down. i used to drink and sip a glass of wine and think things through. but food was the main comfort food to drowned all the sorrows in. So we voice out. our loved ones are not used to this either. but it is a shock to us and them. you are right they do not prepare you for that during the pre-op stage. I too am in therapy to help with this adjustment stage and my husband is too. I will keep you in prayer and hope all goes well. But you are definitely not alone. Good Luck and God Bless!:D