Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do any of you go to monthly Lap Band Support Meetings with your Dr.'s office?

I am off to attend our monthly lab band meeting and I was wondering if any of you also attend these type of meetings held by your Dr.'s offices.

I love this group but let me tell you if it wasn't for this site - I don't know what I would do. I need much more than just a monthly meeting.

Just wondering if any of you go to these meetings also?

Nancy

yes, I go monthly. I think that is the number one reason I stay on track. I need all the support I can get and I advise anyone who hasn't gone, to at least try.

Guest myband

I have a monthly appointment with my Surgeon's assistant who gives the fills but no-one else is there. I can just talk about my concerns to him and at times need a little fill. Now that I am at my sweet spot, I just go in there to catch up, even if its just to say everything is ok.

It would be good to have a support group and be able to share things, but I would not like to run into anyone I know as only my husband knows I have had this surgery and thats the way I will keep it.

my doctors office also has monthly support meetings, although it is with everybody (bypass, bands, ds). First hour they have a speaker which has been very interesting each and every time and then the second hour we split off into groups and do support group. I really enjoy them and look forward to getting together with banded people. We do our own group so for the support part it is just the banded people in my group. I enjoy it and will keep going until I find them no longer useful. I have met some really great people there!

I do try to go to my dr's monthly support meetings but it is mostly RNY and verticle gastrectomy patients and they are REALLY down on the band for some reason. So I usually end up leaving there dissatisfied. I echo the sentiment about the necessity of this board. I learned SOOOOO much more here for getting the band and living with the band than I ever did from my doctor!!!

My doctor's office has monthly band support meetings, and I'm so glad they do. Even more than 2.5 years out I find it really helpful to go to these meetings, though I know I wouldn't if it were a combined group with bypass people. Our meeting is all about the band and led by the nurse practitioner who is extremely helpful with all the technical questions people have as well as helping people understand what's normal.

I think talking face to face with other bandsters is the MOST helpful thing any of us can do. Monthly is great, more often would be better. But if you can do it, DO IT.

My Dr.s office has monthly meetings as well... Well I think they still do. I cant go because its 365 miles away. and on a Tuesday so that makes it hard to plan a trip out there. When I go see my Dr. its on a Friday so I have the weekend to drive back. We have support groups here in Alb. NM too but they are RNY and I think it would be so diffrent. LBT is my ONLY support!

We have 3 "meetings" a month. One is the official one at the hospital, one is at someone's home on a Saturday/Sunday afternoon (potluck), and one is at a local restaurant. We included the restaurant in after several new bandsters said they just didn't think they would every be able to eat in a restaurant. We have gone to Italian, Mexican, seafood, and several others. Most of us at least make it to two of the meetings/month. We even have several men attend.

Some of the girls got together and take private pole dancing lessons, and some are taking belly dancing. There are a few RNY patients there taking the classes too.

We all have become close and when I have a party and have invited them and my friends there (like you only hubby and son know), I just introduce them as my friend. Even they ask how did you meet, I say at a weight loss support group. And I tell them I can't go out with them if I have a commitment to the group.

I also feel that if I met someone I know at a support group that they would be going through the same issues I have and would be supportive of their privacy also.

Carol

I went to about 4 or 5 suport meetings with my Dr. office... then my schedule changed at work and I started working till 8:00 on Monday nights and thats when they have the meetings(once a month) Haven't been to one in a long time. I love the suport I get here on LBT!!! Its always here right when i need it...anytime day or night!!!!

My doctor only has monthly gastro bypass meetings.

I prefer the support I get right here, don't have to get dressed, just point and click. Thanks gang!

Thats a good idea to meet other bansters at a meal or something, it would help newbies learn to order off the menu and slow down to eat etc. I would like to do that too.

Hi there,

My Doctor's office offers 2 support groups a week. I do have to confess I haven't been for awhile, well it seems I have some excuse. I felt very connected when I went, and now I realize now I need to get my butt in gear and go to aleast one a month. Everything will still be waiting for me after I go.

Thanks for waking me up

Suzan