Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Woooo hoooo Zumba!!

I could do cartwheels (If I could bend down without an ache lol) I'm so excited I taught my zumba class tonight 5 days post op! Yay yay yay!

Way to go!!! I started going to Zumba after my surgery and I LOVE IT!!! Don't know if I will ever be good enough to be an instructor, but I could do it five nights a week if my gym offered it that much!

Good luck!

Kim you could do it! When I started taking zumba in May 2009 I couldnt even finish a class and I was terrified to go alone. In September, I decided I loved it so much that I had to become a licensed instructor so that I could do it every day! Over two years later I've got 4 classes a week. You could do it :-) don't stop!

I'm starting a 2 day a week Zumba class at the end of March. I feel VERY uncoordinated, and I was wondering, since you're an instructor, if you have any tips for where to learn the basics (online or somewhere?) before I start classes; so I'm not completely behind everyone else.

My biggest tip would be to tell the instructor you're new and get in a spot in class where you can see! A lot of people (including me when I started!) hang out in the back because they're really unsure of themselves and what's going on, but when you're in the back you can't see squat. Try and get a spot in class where you can really see the instructor even if you're towards the front.

The BEST thing about Zumba is that you don't have to do exactly what the instructor is doing to do the class! If you look at the people in any class you'll see 4 or 5 things going on at once so don't think you've got to move your hips or jump around like the instructor. As long as you're moving, that's what matters! The rhythms in the class are not what we're used to doing so you'll definitely feel akward and uncoordinated, but it gets better because coordination isn't something that we're born with...it develops. Ever see a baby wobble over when it tries to crawl and then walk?

If you've got bad knees or a bad back..or any other type of restriction...do what you can but don't limit yourself. For example, if you have bad knees then squats would be tough, but try and push yourself a little because you will gain flexability and coordination over time.

There will be times when your upper body and lower body are doing two completely seperate things... try to do it! Those moves are built in to improve coordination and even though you may feel silly at first, they're important so keep trying! If there is absolutely some moves that you are having a tough time with, ask the instructor after class or before class. They will be glad to help you out.

Most important of all: go to class, don't be afraid, and just move!!! Their slogan is "ditch the workout, join the party!" for a reason ;-)

While I am not an instructor, I would like to share some advice as well. When I started going, I was very intimidated and nervous, but, introducing myself to the instructor getting fairly close, as suggested, was a great idea. I also introduced myself to classmates. The first two times I tried to go, the instructor was out sick, so I was very disheartened, but I kept going back until she showed up and I DO NOT REGRET IT! I LOVE ZUMBA! Just go at your own pace and you will pick it up.

Good luck, everyone!

thanks for the advice! i'm going with my cousin, who has been doing zumba for over a year, and a friend, who has a background as a dancer; so i'm a little uneasy and just wanted to try to get a headstart knowing some of the steps. my workouts are really intense, so i'm not worried about that part; but i tend to be a little uncoordinated; and i'm DEFINITELY not a dancer by any means!

Yes go to a class....you will not do it all right the 1st time...just keep moving:D I bought the dvd set and it is way boring ...the class I go to does zumba to hip hop and a variety of music

i went to my first zumba class last night and had a blast! at time i had a hard time following the steps, but I just kept moving and went at my own pace. the music was great, and I made a point of getting a space where I could see the instructor at all times (a must!). I highly recommend trying it! oh, and for the record, I'm recovering from a car accident and not the fittest person in the world and I was able to do it!

That's awesome Babe!

That is so awesome to hear-they offer Zumba at the Curves that I go to but I have not tried it yet-guess I should look to see when it is offered again

I'm a member at the YMCA, Started Zumba all most a year ago.... I LOVE IT!!!! Trouble now is so does everyone else. The class has gotten so big. It really is for everyone... fat, skinny, old and young..... Our Y offers a "learning" class on Thursday. they do the same dance two or three time so you can get the hang of it.

But, for first timers.... I concur with the others, go to the front so you can see (off to the side). Concentrate on the feet first, then include the hand/arm movements. Don't worry about doing it right... the whole object is to just move. Let the instructor know you are new and they will watch out for you. We have one lady that knows none of the moves (she started before me), but she goes to the back of the class and does her own thing... i think that's great.

My problem now is, I have lost 70lbs and i want MORE. I have about 20lbs or so left ... I need to start some hard core training and don't have the motivation.

I went for the first time last week and just about died...lol. Proud to say I made it the whole hour and had more energy than girls half my size (biggest person in class unfortunately). My body hurt for days but I can't wait to go back tomorrow; I even rescheduled a date with the hubby just to make sure I have time to get to class. Hoping this will be the breakthrough I need to get excited about exercise again...

Way to go... Melzie.. Keep up the great work. I love Zumba. My newest love... Body Combat. OMG, i was sore for two days. Best way to get out aggression. Try it if you get a chance.

I went for the first time last week and just about died...lol. Proud to say I made it the whole hour and had more energy than girls half my size (biggest person in class unfortunately). My body hurt for days but I can't wait to go back tomorrow; I even rescheduled a date with the hubby just to make sure I have time to get to class. Hoping this will be the breakthrough I need to get excited about exercise again...

that's awesome :-) just keep moving you can do it!!