Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

scared out of whits

Hello All,

I am in Las Vegas and have gone to my seminar. I am now going to a nutritionist. I have been reading through these posts and frankly I am scared to death just reading the things that have happened to some of you out there. My only choice from my insurance is to have Dr. Atkins or Dr. Soong at the gastric band institute. Has anyone out there used these doctors?

That's cuz people post bad things more often then good things. I have not had a single problem except an occasional "stuck" episode that are totally my own fault. I was terrified before surgery, I had not been on this site yet, I have not got one complaint, problem, or complication. NOT ONE! Good luck to you!

That's cuz people post bad things more often then good things. I have not had a single problem except an occasional "stuck" episode that are totally my own fault. I was terrified before surgery, I had not been on this site yet, I have not got one complaint, problem, or complication. NOT ONE! Good luck to you!

Thanks for your reply. I don't know anyone personally who has done this so I am basically flying by the seat of my pants here. I know that having a good surgeon and follow up care is essential and I have no choice but this one doctor in Nevada because of my insurance. I never thought I would ever get this sick because of my weight. I have obstructive sleep apnea and need cpap at night, high blood pressure, GERD, diabetes type 2 and I recently had a ventral hernia repair last month. I can't stand this anymore. I am at least 100lbs over weight and losing weight for me is a joke. This is partly because of another disease that I have which is called Hashimoto's disease. This makes life miserable. I don't see what else I can do but this surgery if I want to stay on this side of the grass. My doctor has informed me that I will die due to all of these medical problems soon if I don't lose weight. I am only 44 years old and I wish I knew for sure that this was going to work. God help us all.

Cathy

Thanks for your reply. I don't know anyone personally who has done this so I am basically flying by the seat of my pants here. I know that having a good surgeon and follow up care is essential and I have no choice but this one doctor in Nevada because of my insurance. I never thought I would ever get this sick because of my weight. I have obstructive sleep apnea and need cpap at night, high blood pressure, GERD, diabetes type 2 and I recently had a ventral hernia repair last month. I can't stand this anymore. I am at least 100lbs over weight and losing weight for me is a joke. This is partly because of another disease that I have which is called Hashimoto's disease. This makes life miserable. I don't see what else I can do but this surgery if I want to stay on this side of the grass. My doctor has informed me that I will die due to all of these medical problems soon if I don't lose weight. I am only 44 years old and I wish I knew for sure that this was going to work. God help us all.

Cathy

Cathy... I weighed over 400 pounds!!! I was pre-hyper tension, pre- diabetic, had high colesterol and was just totally out of control with my weight. I was very scared to do this but I knew I had to try something. It has worked so well for me, I can't express how happy I am with my decision. My blood pressure, blood sugars and colestorol are all normal, I feel 10 years younger and I honestly have not had a problem with the process or with changing my habits. I eat the wrong thing every now and then but I stick pretty close to the guidelines. I exercise at least 5 times a week, which I think is a huge contributing factor to my success so far. I was just telling some body last night that the first time I got on the eliptical machine at the gym I went 6 minutes and seriously thought I was going to die!!! So I just kept walking on the tread mill for the next couple of months. Now I trade off between the treadmill and the eliptical machine (which may I say I can do 30 minutes no problem now!!!) I can't belive the things in life that are already easier like tying my shoes, cutting my toe nails, I sleep like a baby!!!!! ( did not have sleep apnea) I just feel so great, and I never thought I felt that bad, now I just can't believe how good I feel and I have a very long way to go yet! My Dr. asked me the other day "Are you happier" I just looked at her for a minute and then I said "WOW" " I' am happier and I'm a very happy person normally" It's just crazy already the changes in my life for the better. I am 3 pounds away from 100 pounds lost and I have lost pretty steady for 9 months, had a 3 week plateau but that wasn't too bad. Can't wait to loose the next 100. Get educated, exercise and drink your Water, that would be my best advice and the things I find the most important in my weightloss success so far. Good Luck to you on your Lap-Band Journey!

Cathy... I weighed over 400 pounds!!! I was pre-hyper tension, pre- diabetic, had high colesterol and was just totally out of control with my weight. I was very scared to do this but I knew I had to try something. It has worked so well for me, I can't express how happy I am with my decision. My blood pressure, blood sugars and colestorol are all normal, I feel 10 years younger and I honestly have not had a problem with the process or with changing my habits. I eat the wrong thing every now and then but I stick pretty close to the guidelines. I exercise at least 5 times a week, which I think is a huge contributing factor to my success so far. I was just telling some body last night that the first time I got on the eliptical machine at the gym I went 6 minutes and seriously thought I was going to die!!! So I just kept walking on the tread mill for the next couple of months. Now I trade off between the treadmill and the eliptical machine (which may I say I can do 30 minutes no problem now!!!) I can't belive the things in life that are already easier like tying my shoes, cutting my toe nails, I sleep like a baby!!!!! ( did not have sleep apnea) I just feel so great, and I never thought I felt that bad, now I just can't believe how good I feel and I have a very long way to go yet! My Dr. asked me the other day "Are you happier" I just looked at her for a minute and then I said "WOW" " I' am happier and I'm a very happy person normally" It's just crazy already the changes in my life for the better. I am 3 pounds away from 100 pounds lost and I have lost pretty steady for 9 months, had a 3 week plateau but that wasn't too bad. Can't wait to loose the next 100. Get educated, exercise and drink your Water, that would be my best advice and the things I find the most important in my weightloss success so far. Good Luck to you on your Lap-Band Journey!

Thank you so much for this post..not that I'm having doubts but I'm just going through the process and this post was such a motivater for me. I appreciate it so much. I myself am sliding a slippery slope, I'm 320lbs and 29 years old and pre-diabetic and pre-hypertensive. This is what made the decision for me to have the surgery. Congratulations on your weightloss.. i hope to be as successful as you are! :)

Cathy

I had my surgery this Tuesday the 1st of March. I was scared and family tried to talk me out of it. Right now, I am feeling very good. I was soooo scared and nervous and there was also a part of me that felt like I didn't try hard enough to do it on my own and who was I to take the easy way out. Silly, now that I think of it.

Tuesday I got to the hospital at 5:30 AM, I was first up. That made me feel good that in my paranoid mind the surgeon would be awake and bright :D. The nurses had me ready to go and by I think it was about 11 am I was in my room and recovering. I did not experience nausea or any bad side effects except the gas thing took a while :rolleyes: . I was released Wednesday afternoon at around 2 and was able to dress and ready myself for home. I am still a little sore but it really is getting less and less every day! I am not fibbing, here. I am very surprised at how quickly I feel better and better. I have been having yogurt, popsicles, broth, Tomato Soup, Water and pudding. I am very surprised that I am not craving the soda and bean burritos that I lived on as late as last week. That is not to say I will neverwant themagain, I know that soda is a no-no and and I want to be one of those people who just doesn't want that kind of food in their lives.

I had a hiatal hernia repair at the same time and I can tell you I am so glad. I feel much better already.

I know I am fresh out of the starting gate but I hope you will be encouraged to seriously consider this. A couple of my nurses (who were students so they did not work for the doc or the hospital) said I did a very smart thing. I have prevented or at least greatly reduced my chances of some nasty health developments down the road.

Even the pharmacists at my local Wallgreens has been lots of help. I thiink the health community wants to see people like us get better and live healthier lives. I think as I start to see the weight come off, I will be motivated to do well. The dietician that visited me as I was ready to leave (and also a past patient) said the band does 50%, you have to do the other 50%.

That is staying in my head as I heal and get ready to start to exercize, etc. I want to be able to walk and no longer have burning in my ankles, knees and be seriously out of breath. At my job I can't sit in the school desks and as I go to school, I have to sit at a table rather than the desk. It's got to stop.

Please try not to be so scared. I know it's easy to say but I was in your place a few days ago. It will get better as soon as you take the control. Make sure you can get a therapist to help, too.

Good luck :party: