Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to this site and a newly banded 37 yr old male on 2/21/11. I'm sure this question has been asked a million times before on this site, but since I am still navigating through I thought I would ask - when is this horrible gas pain going to stop? The pain in the left shoulder seems to be subsiding, but the gas pain in my abdomen is almost unbearable! I usually am gas-free when I wake up in the morning, but as I eat each mini-meal (currently puree) the gas builds up and the pain gets intense! I have been walking which helps some, and Gas-X which doesn't seem to help at all. I am also constantly trying to burp which sometimes I am able to 'get up' and sometimes the burp gets 'stuck'. When can I expect this gas pain to go away? I know I am only 6 days post-op but the constant pain is starting to depress me and I just want some idea or opinions as to when this gas will subside. Thanks for any help or advise!

Wow. At 6 days post-op I was just starting full liquids. I wasn't allowed purees until week 3. That said, the gas pain gets better, but hasn't completed stopped for me (7weeks). Part of the problem is that I'm eating healthier - lots more veggies, which sadly contribute to the gas problem. The burps are a warning sign. They mean you've eaten enough, maybe a tad too much. I only burp when I've had too much. If I burp while I'm still eating I know it's past time to stop. You really don't want to be bringing anything up while you're still healing, so heed that warning. If the pain is too unbearable, I'd call your doctor because it could possible be something else and it's always better to be safe than need more surgery to fix something.

Denise

It sounds like you are eating too much in one sitting, hence the burping and the sensation of a burp being stuck. I would talk to your doctor about it, he may have filled your band on insertion (some do that) and you may need some removed. Try eating very slowly and stopping the moment you feel full at all. It can be very hard to learn to eat with the band, it takes time. You will get there. The pain in the shoulder is from irritation of the phrenic nerve (the CO2 gas irritates the diaphragm and nerve) and should go away soon. The abdominal pain is most likely from having the area inflated during surgery (this can hurt some people more than others) since they inflate you to the point of a full term pregnancy (yes men too). There can be a lot of pain from that. I would run it by your doc to be sure, but I think that this should pass soon enough. Try a heating pad on your belly, sometimes that helps. Call your doc to be sure, it is always better for them to know what is going on anyway. Good luck to you, you will love the band...when it works! :)

My gas started on Day 5 -way later than I would have thought-, and lasted about 7 or 8 days. The shoulder pain from the gas was WAY worse than any surgical pain I had, so I sympathize with you ((hug)). Like you, GasX didn't do much. Walking, walking, walking did. Plus, it gave me something spacific to do that distracted me from focusing on the pain. It WILL get better, hang in there!

Hi,

I'm 48 hours post surgery and instantly had pains in my left shoulder, my wonderful surgeon, Dr. Matthew Weiner said it was from the repair of my Hiatal Hernia. He said the pains in my shoulder will be much worse than any of the others, and he is correct. I'm feeling pretty good except for my shoulder.

I appreciate all the support from Dr. Weiner, his staff and the staff at Huron Valley Sinai Hospital in Commerce Michigan! :)

Thank you!

I had a lot of gas as well. I noticed it was especially bad one evening after I had drank a lot of milk .I decided to try soy milk instead of milk and the gas pains were a lot better the following day.

I'm 7 days post-op right now and the gas is crazy. It can't be because I'm eating too much - I barely ate at all today because of the bloating sensation. I seem to get gas just by drinking Water or on an empty stomach. GasX is a joke for me - but it is true, walking does make things a bit better. I'm hoping that if this gas issue never completely goes away that it will at least settle down to something that happens every now and then rather than all day every day. I go for my first post-op appointment with my surgeon tomorrow so I'll definitely be talking to him about this.

I am having really bad gas pains as well. My surgery was Monday, so I'm 3 days post op. The gas is really my only complaint. My incisions are healing great. I was up every couple of hours last night with pain in ny back and shoulder. I am walking and moving around, but it isn't getting much better.

When will the gas end?!?! I'm with the OP...it gets kind if depressing.

Dgallas : dr. Weiner is my surgeon too. I was banded last July at Harper but all my appts have been at HV. (I live in Waterford) how are you doing at this point?

Mylicon for babies!!! I am 8days pist op and it helped sooo much! Honestly the gas x was a joke for me to. But a dropper or 2 full of

The mylicon reallllly does it.