Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Should I get this surgery or not?!

I thought too that this was they way to go. I had 2 knees that had to be replaced, surgeon said loose 100lbs. and I'll do your knees. I said that's it? NO! ,,, have Bariatric Surgery so it won't come back.

So I started out by keeping a journal, and loosing 100lbs in a little less then 1 year. In the meantime I was doing the Lap Band qualification steps that you have to go threw. Well my year came and people asked me in the hospital If you lost weight,,,, why are you doing this????? I said I have to in order to get my knees replaced.

So I had surgery, didn't quite loose 20lbs. with the band. One day I went into his office for a fill, and the Band Blew! 2cc in a 4 cc band, and it blew. to this day I am stuck with this deflated band in me, and he doesn't want to touch it. It had to be defective.Merchandise.

If you can use the skills that we are taught, and journal your calories, and foods so that you don't eat over 1200 calories in a day,,, you will lose weight! Do some walking it's good for the legs and you too. There is also calorie counter to go on, and enter your food, and record the calories, and Protein No more then 60G of protein for a woman.

If you stay on this pre op site look up If I new then what I know now Something like that posted yesterday. Please read it all. Also look up Don't go to this surgeon He's a QUACK! That's from me. Also please read all of that.

I want you to hear the pro's and cons. What you do is up to you, but please do your research.

If you want to mail me you can. I will try to answer anything I can.

I wish you GOOD HEALTH ! in what ever you choose.

Shirley.

I decided last week that I would go through with the surgery. I've been thinking about it for 8 years. I'm now 56 yrs old. My first appointment is next week. I'm ready to make the lifestyle adjustments necessary. It's a huge decision. But I'm convinced now that I cannot do it on my own. I have lost significant weight before, but menopause has put all that to a skeeching hault! I haven't touched junk food, salt, white flour, soda, processed food for years; I eat clean and workout daily but the weight doesn't budge. I'm 5'10 @ 285 with BMI of 40. I need this tool to help me control and limit portions. I wasn't convinced 8 yrs ago. I am now.

Wow I see were thr same age,,,,, I wish you the best of Health, and enjoy your journey.

Thanks to everyone for the responses. I met with the surgeon who was very nice and informative. My insurance covers the procedure, but does require a 3 month diet in advance. So I will be going back to see the dietician and surgeon once a month. In the meantime, I do plan to try getting back on a diet myself to see if I can still do it. Talking to the surgeon actually made me feel even less that the surgery is for me. I told him I had lost close to 100 pounds on my own, and he said that is almost unheard of with "the obese and morbidly obese" - and that the band is purely restrictive. He said your appetite does decrease after a month or so, but only because you are teaching yourself to need less, just as you would if you just cut calories back on your own. I seem to have more questions than answers! But at least I know I have a backup plan.

When I restricted my own calories, I was hungry for several weeks but then I adjusted and felt fine. I lost weight, went off blood pressure meds (still off them), and exercised daily. I feel pretty confident I would have gotten to my own personal goal weight if I hadn't become pregnant - I actually lost my last 20 pounds the month before I found out I was pregnant and had to stop losing.

Anyway, it's definitely a personal choice everyone has to make for themselves. I'm so happy to have heard all of your perspectives, for sure.

I have an appointment with the psychologist and dietician a month from now. I'm hoping to lose about 20 pounds by then, just to prove to myself I can still do it! :)

Thanks again, and best wishes to everyone.

I have an appointment with the psychologist and dietician a month from now. I'm hoping to lose about 20 pounds by then, just to prove to myself I can still do it! :)

Did you get weighed at the appointment for your starting weight? Not sure what your BMI is or if you have comorbidities but if you are still considering the surgery then you will want to start the paperwork while you're still over the threshold that your insurance requires. I know I would hate to lose some weight on my own then decide I wanted the surgery and the insurance wouldn't pay because I wasn't heavy enough!

I told him I had lost close to 100 pounds on my own, and he said that is almost unheard of with "the obese and morbidly obese" - and that the band is purely restrictive. He said your appetite does decrease after a month or so, but only because you are teaching yourself to need less, just as you would if you just cut calories back on your own. I seem to have more questions than answers! But at least I know I have a backup plan.

When I restricted my own calories, I was hungry for several weeks but then I adjusted and felt fine. I lost weight, went off blood pressure meds (still off them), and exercised daily. I feel pretty confident I would have gotten to my own personal goal weight if I hadn't become pregnant - I actually lost my last 20 pounds the month before I found out I was pregnant and had to stop losing

Wow..I'm pretty surprised that your doctor said that. There are many WLS surgery patients who are great dieters, but who always gain it back. When I was your age, I lost 140 lbs. I exercised regularly. Then I got pregnant, too. Over the next 20 years, I kept losing and gaining the weight back. I'd lose 70 lbs here and gain 100 back.I did it at least 5 or 6 times. By the time my son was 10, I was over 300 again. The band is great for people like me (us?) because it gives the help we need to stick with it over the long haul. The success you've had dieting will only help you with this process.

All that said, I truly believe that you shouldn't go down the surgery path unless you're sure. But I have to say, that I think you would do great.

Cindy

Did you get weighed at the appointment for your starting weight? Not sure what your BMI is or if you have comorbidities but if you are still considering the surgery then you will want to start the paperwork while you're still over the threshold that your insurance requires. I know I would hate to lose some weight on my own then decide I wanted the surgery and the insurance wouldn't pay because I wasn't heavy enough!

They weighed me, did vitals, started my paperwork and that appointment counted as my first visit with the nutritionist ;)

Wow..I'm pretty surprised that your doctor said that. There are many WLS surgery patients who are great dieters, but who always gain it back.

I'm not sure what the statistics are or anything, but I think losing 100+ pounds is pretty incredible for most people.

(In less than a year at that - took me about 10 months. Not cumulative after years of dieting - losing/gaining the same 20 lbs, etc...)

140 pounds is amazing! I'm hoping to have success without the band, but I know the option is there if I should need it.