Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone had to do a liquid diet prior to surgery. This is very hard. I understand the 1000 calories or 1500 calorie diet. but complete liquids. I have already cheated and had some fish. Please advise my surgery is March 1.

What has your doctor told you to eat? My doctor recommends whey Isolate Protein powder. Remember Protein keeps you full longer than carbs. shakes like slimfast and carnation instant Breakfast do not have enough protein and won't keep you as full. I like Dymatize vanilla and Gold Standard Double chocolate. From costco Premier ready to drink protein is very good and has 30 g protein for only 160 calories. Also space out your food as much as possible. I understand if you only have one shake you will still be hungry. If however you know you can have something else in a couple hours it may help you stop snacking on unapproved food.

FYI post op you will probably have 2 weeks of liquids and you can not cheat then it will be very bad for your stomach!

What has your doctor told you to eat? My doctor recommends whey isolate Protein powder. Remember Protein keeps you full longer than carbs. shakes like slimfast and carnation instant breakfast do not have enough protein and won't keep you as full. I like Dymatize Vanilla and Gold Standard Double chocolate. From costco Premier ready to drink protein is very good and has 30 g protein for only 160 calories. Also space out your food as much as possible. I understand if you only have one shake you will still be hungry. If however you know you can have something else in a couple hours it may help you stop snacking on unapproved food.

FYI post op you will probably have 2 weeks of liquids and you can not cheat then it will be very bad for your stomach!

I have been eating yogurt, tea and taking my Vitamins. banana and one day I had a mango smoothie for lunch. I also have sugar free Jello.

I cheated last night with a pretzel and lemonade. and I cheated today with almond crusted Tilapia and mashed potatoes and green Beans. this is day two for me. So tomorrow I will start fresh with a Protein Drink in the morining stick with the apple sauce and the yogurts. I have to say. I haven't had any soda or cakes and pies. So that must be a plus. So I guess my question is stick to my Protein drinks and no lean meats or starches at all?

Did you doctor give you a food plan? I am only reiterating that question because I would never tell you not to follow your doctors orders and they can vary.

If they said to only have Protein shakes I would do that. Unless they specifically said to have fruit I would drop it for now. It is high in calories/carbs. Some hints to improve the taste of shakes is to mix them in a blender with: "milk cubes", ice cubes, fat free milk, sugar/fat free pudding powder, Davinchi sugar free syrups (found in the coffe isle), maybe Splendra. Did you buy the smoothy or make it at home? Almost guarenteed one you can buy will be high in cal and low in Protein.

If they said you could have solids I would have protein centered meals and Snacks. Fish is fine but eat is plain no breading, cheese, butter (same is true for chicken/turkey). For Breakfast both pre and post surgery I have Greek yoghurt (greek yoghurt is much higher in protein, and lower in carbs). I personally like non fat Chobani with fuit. I add half a scoop of vanilla whey isolate protein, splendra (greek yoghurt is sour). Personally I would stick to lean meats and cut out port, beef. Also egg whites (I would skip the yolks as they add 70 cal per egg, which is 140 cals for two.) would be a good meal option (made non stick spray no butter, cheese)

If you need a snack have a low fat cheese stick, Jello, no suger added (no fruit added) popsicles (crystal lite) version are good). No to sugar based lemonaid, again get crystal lite.

I'm on the fence about the applesauce. If you are going to eat it I would get the individual servings with no added sugar. I would drop the potatos simply because they are probably made with butter and cream.

I did'nt really have a pre op diet because I was losing weight on my own. Two weeks preop I did a shake in the morning, a low fat/cal protein based lunch, and shake for dinner.

Your milage may vary.

Did you doctor give you a food plan? I am only reiterating that question because I would never tell you not to follow your doctors orders and they can vary.

If they said to only have Protein shakes I would do that. Unless they specifically said to have fruit I would drop it for now. It is high in calories/carbs. Some hints to improve the taste of shakes is to mix them in a blender with: "milk cubes", ice cubes, fat free milk, sugar/fat free pudding powder, Davinchi sugar free syrups (found in the coffe isle), maybe Splendra. Did you buy the smoothy or make it at home? Almost guarenteed one you can buy will be high in cal and low in Protein.

If they said you could have solids I would have protein centered meals and Snacks. Fish is fine but eat is plain no breading, cheese, butter (same is true for chicken/turkey). For Breakfast both pre and post surgery I have Greek yoghurt (greek yoghurt is much higher in protein, and lower in carbs). I personally like non fat Chobani with fuit. I add half a scoop of vanilla whey isolate protein, splendra (greek yoghurt is sour). Personally I would stick to lean meats and cut out port, beef. Also egg whites (I would skip the yolks as they add 70 cal per egg, which is 140 cals for two.) would be a good meal option (made non stick spray no butter, cheese)

If you need a snack have a low fat cheese stick, Jello, no suger added (no fruit added) popsicles (crystal lite) version are good). No to sugar based lemonaid, again get crystal lite.

I'm on the fence about the applesauce. If you are going to eat it I would get the individual servings with no added sugar. I would drop the potatos simply because they are probably made with butter and cream.

I did'nt really have a pre op diet because I was losing weight on my own. Two weeks preop I did a shake in the morning, a low fat/cal protein based lunch, and shake for dinner.

Your milage may vary.

Thanks

I have to say today is a better day. I had my Protein Shake I mixed it with Water and ice chocolate powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury. No headached. No hunger pains. I feel awesome. I brought some Soup for lunch today I will just sipped the broth. If I feel Hungry I will go for another Protein Shake in the afternoon.

Thank You so much you have been so helpful I needed to hear that. I also have Dannonlight n fit yogury that was on my list. I guess I can eat that as snack. I am at $270 lbs. I was 285. My surjury is March 1 and this is third day of post diet. Also I bought the same vanilla isolate whey protein. I haven't tried it yet. Is it good plain with just Water. Or does it need a little skim milk to it .

Congratulations on your loss so far! Think of is as weight you won't have to lose again. I make shakes with fat free milk because they taste better; and it only adds 90 cal for 10 g Protein. I guess it could depend on how many you are eating a day. If you have 3 as Meal Replacements I don't think the extra cal. are that bad. But that is just my opinion. When I've spoken to clerks at Vitamin Shoppe about Vanilla they say that's the hardest flavor to make taste good by itself. That's were you can get into trouble. If the plain shake is boring you are more likely to add other things to it that will raise the calorie content.

What has your doctor told you to eat? My doctor recommends whey isolate Protein powder. Remember Protein keeps you full longer than carbs. shakes like slimfast and carnation instant breakfast do not have enough protein and won't keep you as full. I like Dymatize Vanilla and Gold Standard Double chocolate. From costco Premier ready to drink protein is very good and has 30 g protein for only 160 calories. Also space out your food as much as possible. I understand if you only have one shake you will still be hungry. If however you know you can have something else in a couple hours it may help you stop snacking on unapproved food.

Has anyone had to do a liquid diet prior to surgery. This is very hard. I understand the 1000 calories or 1500 calorie diet. but complete liquids. I have already cheated and had some fish. Please advise my surgery is March 1.

I have to start it in the morning, I have only shakes and Water, and I will not be banded until March 9th, this is gonna be tough!

HI! Although the liquid diet is very hard to do, this is when you will lose alot of your wt. It drastically slows down after surgery especially when you are advanced to reg food. YOu will be hungrier then. So take advantage of the Protein liquid diet. I lost 10 lbs. on it. Good luck to you and with your surgery. Keep us posted on your progress. :)

I have to start it in the morning, I have only shakes and Water, and I will not be banded until March 9th, this is gonna be tough!

i actually had my last appt with my surgent this morning before Surjuy. I told her I cheated and had some fish. She said that was fine. As long as I was I eating snicker bars and chip Cookies things of that sort She said the liquid diet is important because they want to shrink your liver. while they doing the surjury they actually lift your liver up to get to your stomach. In the process they do not want your liver to crack and cause you to bleed out. Then you would need a transfusion. I said wow. I had my Protein today and some yogurt. so far so good.best wishes on a safe weight loss journey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!