Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie finding out I am insulin resistant

Hi my name is Jennifer I am 31 years old. I have been playing with the idea of getting the band for a little over a year. My insurance covers the procedure "So exciting".So I am in the very beging stages of getting set up with my case manager and my Doctor visits. I had a scheduled appointment with my medical Doctor on Friday to discuss this option and to get her approval. She said she wanted me to have some blood work done and to check if I am insulin resistant. I was a little shock but went along with it. I get a call from the Doctor office and the nurse explains to me that I am insulin resistant and the Doctor wants me to go on medication.The day of the physical the Doctor said she wanted me to go on the meds before considering the surgery. I am going to follow up with my care and follow any direction that she wants me to do. But I am still going to follow through everything to have the surgery.She didn't tell me that I couldn't have it but to try med first. Has anyone lost weight on Metformin? I have history within my family of memebers having diabetes.I have been rading on the internet that the Lap Band help people with IR (Insulin Resistantance)....Any advice is welcome. I just want a healthy me!!! I lost my Brother on May 10th 2009 he was a healthy fit Fireman.He died of a heart attack in his sleep. I want to be a healthy Wife and Mommy :) my family deserves it. Thank you and I look forward to all your wonderful comments

The absolute BEST treatment for IR is losing weight! Insulin resistance is a medical way of saying over fed...the body can no longer handle what you are eating. Metformin is a temporary bandage but will not help you lose more than a few pounds. Good luck. I hope the band is right for you. I am in love with my band after 20 years of failed dieting!

Metformin did very little for me, but everyone is different. I have PCOS and the Metformin basically made sure I did not wildly gain weight. It leveled off the weight but didn't help me lose. I started taking it when I started fertility treatments. Another lovely side effect of the PCOS. One thing I will warn you about Metformin... it can cause gas, nausea and diarrhea in the beginning. If you eat too much complex carbs (white processed foods and sugars), the Metformin will make sure you dump it out, and I mean DUMP it out :( It takes around 2 weeks to get used to the medicine.

Good luck!!

I also have PCOS, and of coarse am IR, I have been on Metformin for 2yrs. I have not lost a pound, if I eat a carb I will gain, plain and simple. I am one of those very unlucky people who have never gotten over the GI side effects of the medicine. It suxs! lol I will be getting my band on March 9, 2011, hopefully I will be able to get off of it and all my other meds for chol, and trig. Good Luck with your decision, I personally cant wait!!!

I was on Metformin for PCOS and though it kept some of my hormone levels under control, it did NOT help me lose weight--I actually gained about 80 pounds during the time I was taking it. Any weight loss can help with insulin resistance--it may not cure it, depending on why you have it, but it will most definitely help. Additionally, IR is basically pre-diabetes; following something that resembles a low to lower carb diabetic diet will help your body and its reaction to food, even if it doesn't result in a lot of weight loss.

I found out i was insulin resistant when i started the process too. However it wasnt that bad where i needed medication but instead i have to watch what i eat. However my dr thought it was even more of a reason to go through with the lapband surgery. I got banded on 2/11/11 and have never experienced a spike or a high blood sugar episode since.

Good luck!!

I was on insulin injections twice daily and had become 'insulin resistant'. I also had ballooned up to 373 #. Through madness and desperation I eased down almost 20#. Went to the Band clinic, consulted, went on pre op diet, lost another 20 #. 8 months after Band surgery, I was completely off insulin. Started Metformin. A1c dropped to below 7 for the first time in years. Other blood values normalized. Metformin doesn't do anything to decrease weight for me....but it does moderate my blood sugar without insulin injections...which after all is a hormone that produces weight gain among other things. By the way, after 10 years on CPAP, I tossed that out 7 months postOp as well. I continue to live the Happy Bandster lifestyle....and I'm still "35# from goal". cheers on your journey

I have been using Metformin for almost 3 years now and in the time I have struggled to lose weight. To be honest, losing weight was easier before I took these meds I am currently on for Diabetes. It does help a great deal with my glucose levels though. I am hoping in a few months I can say goodbye to taking Metformin and glipizide, lisinopril.... etc. When my new primary care doctor saw I was taking Metformin (and being diabetic in general) it was even more reason for him to endourse the band.

I took metformin for steroid induced diabetes..was on prednisone for an autoimmune condition. Metformin didn't help me much and certainly didn't help me lose weight. I think prediabetes is one of the co morbidities included to get approval for lapband so I would think surgery would only help you.

Was on Metformin for 5 years prior to surgery to treat PCOS. It did nothing to help with weightloss, it only helped me to process my insulin better so that my hormones were not so out of whack. Was unable to take the Metformin after surgery (couldn't swallow the pills). Waited until my next visit with endo to discuss it, he did blood work and it turned out due to the weight loss achieved just within the few weeks of pre-op and post-op I no longer needed the Metformin. My PCOS symtoms were gone and I am no longer insulin resistant. I would much rather lose the weight and not need those pills!

Hi Jennifer,

I am also insulin resistant and I have PCOS. Wow what a hand we were dealt. When I was first diagnosed about 3 years ago I started out on Metformin. It made me sick as a dog and I just couldn't continue taking it. But while I was on it, I lost a few pounds but only because I was sick from it ( I will spare the gruesome details). Now I am on ACTOS, which is great. But with Insulin resistance/PCOS it is extremly hard to loose weight because you will have to work at it 3x as hard. I hope that you have success in your weight.

FeFe :)

I am insulin resistant; however, as of December 2010 I am medicine free. No more insulin in the morning or insulin with my meals. Despite weight loss, I still needed my insulin. It wasn't until I dropped my carbs to 30gm per day and eliminated the foods most directly responsible for sugar spikes (wheat, gluten, grains...basically any carbs except those in low carb vegies) that my body finally got its act together and my blood sugar stabilized.

Hi everyone!

FINALLY people with the problem as me! I also have PCOS and IR. Doctor put me on glucophage, in 20 days I have lost 8.5kg's, but I need to lose weight extremely quick. I saw a neurologist today who recommened gastric banning (I had never heard of it before) but I don't know what to expect and think about it. Should I consider it or should I not? I got married last year September 2010 and My Hubby and I desperately want to have kids but the gynae refuses to operate until I am under 100kg's. I have struggled for 15 years to lose weight....and I lose quickly the first few weeks and then I struggle.....HELP!!!!