Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are you eating?

Hey all! I'm 2 days post-op and doing well. I've only had my liquids...Muscle Milk, chicken broth, and sugar-free strawberry Jello. Please, please don't cheat. I know it is hard...this is my 2nd time around (band removed during my last pregnancy due to a slip...kept puking from prenatal vitamins).

The band is held in place by the scar tissue/adhesions formed early on in your recovery. These adhesions will hold your band in place, so it's important that they form properly. Chewing and putting anything solid in your stomach causes your stomach to churn, which we don't want. That's why the liquid diet is so important. Just hang in there! It will ALL be worth it. Trust me!!! We can all do it.

I put a wonderful homemade Soup (my sis sent me the recipe, which I modified) on my blog. There are pics with the recipe, as well. It's a SUPER way to get Iron thanks to the spinach! I made it with ham hocks to give it a wonderful smokey flavor. It really was delicious, like split pea soup but easier, no soaking peas...!

I put a wonderful homemade Soup (my sis sent me the recipe, which I modified) on my blog. There are pics with the recipe, as well. It's a SUPER way to get Iron thanks to the spinach! I made it with ham hocks to give it a wonderful smokey flavor. It really was delicious, like split pea soup but easier, no soaking peas...!

Neat recipe, gonna try it myself but i'll leave out the 1 teaspoon of added salt cause the chicken broth and ham and the hocks will put plenty of that into the soup. Love the bright green color of the soup in your blog. Was it better the next day?

Here are the nutriant values based on 10 cups of the soup wo/ the added i tsp. of salt and using lower sodium chicken broth. I couldn't cut back on sodium in the hocks (The food values below do not include both the ham and the ham hocks only the value for the hocks is in the calculations) To lower the sodium load perhaps a substitution with only the 16 oz of low sodium smoked turkey ham and droping the hocks altogether could drop it by 250-300 mg but it may not be as satisfyingly smokey in flavor.

Values per 1 cup serving of the soup, assumes approx. 1.25 oz of the hock is included in each serving:

Calories 198

Total Fat 10.23g

Sat. Fat 3.01g

Carbs 11.85g

Fiber 3.76g

Sugar 4.44g

Protein 14.75g

Sodium 902mg

Cholesterol 25.72mg

Potasium 491mg

Neat recipe, gonna try it myself but i'll leave out the 1 teaspoon of added salt cause the chicken broth and ham and the hocks will put plenty of that into the Soup. Love the bright green color of the soup in your blog. Was it better the next day?

Here are the nutriant values based on 10 cups of the soup wo/ the added i tsp. of salt and using lower sodium chicken broth. I couldn't cut back on sodium in the hocks (The food values below do not include both the ham and the ham hocks only the value for the hocks is in the calculations) To lower the sodium load perhaps a substitution with only the 16 oz of low sodium smoked turkey ham and droping the hocks altogether could drop it by 250-300 mg but it may not be as satisfyingly smokey in flavor.

Values per 1 cup serving of the soup, assumes approx. 1.25 oz of the hock is included in each serving:

Calories 198

Total Fat 10.23g

Sat. Fat 3.01g

Carbs 11.85g

Fiber 3.76g

Sugar 4.44g

Protein 14.75g

Sodium 902mg

Cholesterol 25.72mg

Potasium 491mg

You know, I am glad you brought that to my attention--the salt part. I did actually cut down the salt from the original recipe, because I added the chicken broth. And yes, I would eliminate the 1 tsp of salt if you are using full-sodium chicken broth. If you are using low sodium chicken broth you can keep it. Your other option is to not use the added salt at all; just adding a bit of flake salt to taste upon serving.

It just got better as it simmered. I gotta say, it was darned tasty. I didn't even taste the spinach, in fact, this just tasted like split pea soup. The bright green color dims a bit the longer you simmer it; we had it on the stove about 2 hours in the end and it began to take on the usual pea-green of familiarity. LOL It's darned tasty.

Now, in the event you do make it and you over salt it, the best remedy is to create more puree (you can use just peas if you wish) and dump it in, thinning with Water, a 1/2 cup at a time.

Well, I couldn't stand it anymore. I had a half of a cup of Campbell's Tomato Soup made with skim milk. It was heavenly. I did so well with it that I called my doctor's office to ask them if I could have eggs for dinner. They said if I could tolerate it, I could have ONE scrambled egg. JOY OF JOYS! I had a bite of hubby's grits, too. I tell you, if they are gonna make you have liquids for so long they need to keep you on a morphine drip. LOL!!

LOL.... I was banded feb 25, 2011 and I started soft foods 5 days after. I eat pudding , hard boiled eggs, and the middle of a potatoe. :) I have no problems but i get so scared reading this cause people stay on liquids forever. I am fine with everything and have no problems so I hope it doesnt hurt me. I am new to this site and and really need support. my doctor says first month is healing then losing weight. I also have an empty band :( cant have a fill till 9 weeks ... I hate that . I wish i could .. anyhow .. hope to be friends with you. I am looking forward to having someone to talk to.

Post Modern ~ I am on post-banding week 2, and in addition to my Protein Shakes I've had low sodium cream Soups and egg drop Soup (I added nonflavored Any whey to some cream of Tomato Soup and it was really good). I saw my doctor yesterday, and he approved me to start trying out high Protein mushies (he said to shoot for 65 grams of protein a day), so tonight I had some lowfat tuna salad (which I ran through the food processor beforehand). I'm starting to add a few things, but being pretty cautious about it. It went down well, though I got full on about 2 tablespoons. :) Right now, I think I'm on the brink of bandster hell...I get really hungry, but fill up quickly (so far). I think I'm still healing up, so that is keeping the BH away for now . LoL. ;)

Hello all,

I got the okay to move on to mushies!! i never thought about putting things through the processor like you are doing Elle. That would definitely help me get in added Protein. I am definitely growing tired of my Protein shakes. What type of shakes are you all drinking and do you like them?

Courtney rolleyes.gif