Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beware of Tropical Smoothie!

I just had my second fill yesterday, so I am on liquids. Today, I decided to try a smoothie at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe hoping to feel satisfied and have something different. I looked at their menu and decided to go with a smoothie that had the calorie count listed as 210. I thought that would be good calorie-wise and I asked that they make it with Splenda. So, I drink it and it's yummy. I get on the computer to pull up the complete nutrition of what I just drank and OMG!!! The calorie count said 420! Evidently the "One size" they offer is 2 servings AND the sugar count is 92 g of sugar!!!!! 92 grams?! Are you kidding me? With the Splenda I'm sure it cut down on the sugar count, but geez! I'm frustrated now because I wanted to use these 2 days on liquids to get a jump start on losing a few pounds and I thought I was making a good choice, only to find out that I didn't. I would have had a frosty if I didn't care, but I do care and now I'm bummed. Be careful with the smoothies if you are thinking you are making a healthy choice.

Well, fruit has a lot of sugar! Overall though it's not that bad... I mean I wouldn't do it everyday, but 420 for a whole meal isn't too bad

Yeah- lots of people think smoothies are healthy, but they are full of sugar. fruit may be a natural sugar, but it's still sugar. You are much better eating the fruit itself, at least you are getting some Fiber.< /p>

It is no mystery why you see everyone that walks around sucking on smoothies in public has a huge muffin top! Its one thing to do what you did, and have it for a meal, I agree, 420 calories isnt a disaster, but its very annoying when you get caught out by the serving size thing - I mean FFS, who on earth drinks half of their smoothie? But certainly amongst the younger crowd (god, I sound old, lol) smoothies have taken off and its very obvious what they do to waistlines and behinds when they're consumed as Snacks on a regular basis!

I make my own sometimes for Breakfast, but personally, I dont find smoothies or shakes satisfying, they're not a good food choice for me, becuase I'll still want to eat half an hour later.

In my area, most of the restaurants are listing the calorie counts for each menu item. I was shocked the last time I went to IHOP. Nothing under 1000 calories! It's easy to see why people become overweight with all these so called "healthy" food out there- its hard. I agree with making your own or sharing one with a friend. Just don't beat yourself up over it and get back on track. Slow and steady wins the race!

Hautemama

Its California law now that chain restaurants put the calorie count on their menu or make it available on the table. I don't think that applies to fast food chains but I think they make the info available.

Yes, but the trap is that they list calorie counts per serving, and often what they give you is more than one serving. Have you ever noticed that on say, a yogurt? You eat the small container, thinking its only 100 calories and then you notice that each individual tub is actually 2.3 servings or something insane like that.

1760_small.gifstrawberry banana Smoothie (Starbucks) Serving Size: 16 oz, Calories: 280, Fat: 5g, Carbs: 56g, Protein: 15g

I have them add extra Protein for $.50 to bring the Protein up to 30g

1760_small.gifSkinny vanilla Latte - Tall (Starbucks) Serving Size: 12 oz, Calories: 90, Fat: 0g, Carbs: 0g, Protein: 9g

Calories per serving is super frustrating. During my mindfull eating classes I started reading nutritian labels my favorites mulitple servings per container are: poptarts (you get two per package), rolls (calories listed are for half a role). Who eats half a roll.

Its California law now that chain restaurants put the calorie count on their menu or make it available on the table. I don't think that applies to fast food chains but I think they make the info available.

Yes it includes Fast food Chains...walked into Mcdonalds got a salad an it told me how many cals were in the grilled vs the crispy chicken salad...

I just got a power juicer I wonder how much sugar is in some of the juice I just made...

As a bariatric dietitian and the Dietitian for Tropical smoothie, I must chime in that it is NOT recommended that people who had surgery (LAP band or bypass or sleeve) to be drinking fruit based smoothies, even sweetend with Splenda. Following a fill, I advise my patients to choose high Protein drinks that have “double digit” levels of Protein (> 10 gms per serving) and a “single digit” level of total carbohydrate (<9 gms total carbs per serving). Tropical Smoothie Cafe produces fruit based smoothies that are are made with natural fruit, fruit juice and/or yogurt. These have naturally occurring carbohydrate/sugar and possibly added turbinado sugar. When a customer gets a smoothie with Splenda, they save the calories and carbs from the added turbinado sugar but there is no way of replacing the sugar in fruit or yogurt. If For surgery patients, it is not recommended to have natural fruit smoothies. Tropical Smoothie is aware of this and seeks to provide healthy options for all of their clientele. They are currently working on a high protein, low carb smoothie that would fit the needs of someone who had weight loss surgery.

I just had my second fill yesterday, so I am on liquids. Today, I decided to try a smoothie at the Tropical Smoothie Cafe hoping to feel satisfied and have something different. I looked at their menu and decided to go with a smoothie that had the calorie count listed as 210. I thought that would be good calorie-wise and I asked that they make it with Splenda. So, I drink it and it's yummy. I get on the computer to pull up the complete nutrition of what I just drank and OMG!!! The calorie count said 420! Evidently the "One size" they offer is 2 servings AND the sugar count is 92 g of sugar!!!!! 92 grams?! Are you kidding me? With the Splenda I'm sure it cut down on the sugar count, but geez! I'm frustrated now because I wanted to use these 2 days on liquids to get a jump start on losing a few pounds and I thought I was making a good choice, only to find out that I didn't. I would have had a frosty if I didn't care, but I do care and now I'm bummed. Be careful with the smoothies if you are thinking you are making a healthy choice.

I love smoothies. smoothies do not love me. I could handle drinking one as a meal but the sugar/carb count would kill me (literally, over time). :blink:

Calories per serving is super frustrating. During my mindfull eating classes I started reading nutritian labels my favorites mulitple servings per container are: poptarts (you get two per package), rolls (calories listed are for half a role). Who eats half a roll.

Have you noticed that Crystal Light ( & the generics) list the serving size on their 'Single' drink mixes as 1/2 packet? Who would split one of those tiny packets??

The very last thing my surgeon said to me was "Absolutely no beverages except Water, no juice, no milk, no soda. water or crystal light only, It is nothing but waisted calories, if your hungry eat something, don't drink it." (except for fill days, which I know this was for you). That has stuck with me like glue. When I hit 50 lbs lost I had a big ole glass of skim milk. Also, had a big glass of skim milk when I hit 100 lbs. LOL!!! Tasted great, I know you are not supposed to reward yourself with food... but it was milk!!! But boy, a fruit smoothie sounds yummy!