Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 1/21 and need some help...

My walk of forum shame...

Okay, I was banded 1/21. I returned from the hospital having gained 8 pounds from my surgery date. I stuck with my Clear liquids for a week and had lost all of the 8 pounds, plus 4 more, but I was still in severe pain. I visited my doctor on 1/28 and he decided to remove all of the Fluid from my band due to severe swelling. He said once the swelling had subsided, he would fill the band again.

Now, I should note that from the day of surgery on, I never felt any relief from hunger. I felt very hungry all day, every day. Stomach growling loudly, the works. So I get home, and since my band was now empty, I started "experimenting" with solid food. I shouldn't have. I was still supposed to be on a clear liquid diet. Experimenting turned to eating (big surprise there), and I've had no discipline over the weekend whatsoever. I've been able to eat whatever I want without any ill effects. I've gained 3 pounds back and I'm feeling pretty ashamed and disappointed.

I thought the band was supposed to relieve hunger pain, and it hasn't for me. Has anyone had a similar lapse or experience? Any advice on feeling better and getting back on track would be appreciated.

Also, is there a medical reason why I'm not supposed to have diet soda? My instructions say no carbonated beverages, but does not specify why...

Thanks =(

Okay, I was banded 1/21. I returned from the hospital having gained 8 pounds from my surgery date. I stuck with my Clear Liquids for a week and had lost all of the 8 pounds, plus 4 more, but I was still in severe pain. I visited my doctor on 1/28 and he decided to remove all of the Fluid from my band due to severe swelling. He said once the swelling had subsided, he would fill the band again.

Now, I should note that from the day of surgery on, I never felt any relief from hunger. I felt very hungry all day, every day. Stomach growling loudly, the works. So I get home, and since my band was now empty, I started "experimenting" with solid food. I shouldn't have. I was still supposed to be on a clear liquid diet. Experimenting turned to eating (big surprise there), and I've had no discipline over the weekend whatsoever. I've been able to eat whatever I want without any ill effects. I've gained 3 pounds back and I'm feeling pretty ashamed and disappointed.

I thought the band was supposed to relieve hunger pain, and it hasn't for me. Has anyone had a similar lapse or experience? Any advice on feeling better and getting back on track would be appreciated.

Also, is there a medical reason why I'm not supposed to have diet soda? My instructions say no carbonated beverages, but does not specify why...

Thanks =(

The only thing I have been told is that Carbonation creates gas and leads to pain after your having fills.

Okay, I was banded 1/21. I returned from the hospital having gained 8 pounds from my surgery date. I stuck with my clear liquids for a week and had lost all of the 8 pounds, plus 4 more, but I was still in severe pain. I visited my doctor on 1/28 and he decided to remove all of the Fluid from my band due to severe swelling. He said once the swelling had subsided, he would fill the band again.

Thanks =(

Hi

First of all.. hang in there. Your surgery is too recent and you still need to get used to it.

In my opnion , mind you , I am no doc.You started with solids way too soon.

I think it took me a good 2 weeks to have blanded food ( like baby food)

Try taking a few steps back , second , make sure that you are drinking enough Water , try aiming for 1 lt a day. It will help with your hunger

And if you really really want to eat... go for something with Protein, cheese , egg , meats ( if you can ) , yogurt , milk and even oatmeal . That should keep you full longer.

My doc told me I had to have 3 meals a day only... Forget it.. I can't I am still hungry in between meals and I still snack. But I try to go for healthier choices.

I had my band done in October and so far 40lbs gone.

You will get there.. you just have to get used to the tool.

STOP EATING SOLIDS! Yes I know I'm yelling. Whether your band has any filling or not you stomach is still healing from surgery. You could be doing permanent damage! Clear liquid diets suck, but they are there for a reason. I know I'm being harsh but I think you knew people would be harsh when you posted this.

The band does not prevent being hungry.

I am six months out and just now getting restriction which means until now not eating has been all will power.

My dietician told me that carbonated beverages can increase the size of the pouch because of the gas. I'm a former soda-holic but haven't had a pop since my pre op diet started. But I know that soda is part of what got me into this mess so I'm off it. You will have to work at losing until you reach your sweet spot...I just had my surgery on Jan 5th, no fills yet and I know that willpower is the only thing keeping me going right now. I would talk to your doc and tell him you're having trouble, maybe he'll have some suggestions.

I know how you feel. I was banded on 1/27 and the hunger is terrible. I am able to eat full liquids which includes strained creamed Soups and liquid yogurt. The worst I've done was eat my creamed Soup unstrained, but i chewed so much that it was completely liquified when I swallowed. Even then I could feel slight gastric pain. You have to follow the diet ordered. You know what I did that put me back on track? I watched a you tube video of the actual surgery, and I saw all the sutures in my stomach holding the band in place. That scared me, because I didn't want to damage my stomach. I would advise you to do the same. Trust me, you can follow the diet much easier when you know what your poor stomach has gone through.

Experimenting turned to eating (big surprise there), and I've had no discipline over the weekend whatsoever. I've been able to eat whatever I want without any ill effects. I've gained 3 pounds back and I'm feeling pretty ashamed and disappointed.

Thanks =(

Suzanne,

Postop instructions vary wildly from doctor to doctor. Mine had no restriction on carbonated beverages *after* I was back on solid foods, although did say that some patients have trouble with painful gas.

Postop diets also vary. My surgeon has his patients back on solid foods by 2 weeks postop. At the end of week 1, I was just starting on mushies. You really need to quit doing what you're doing and get back on your postop diet. If you really can't stick to your clear liquids, at least call the doctor up and let him know. My guess is that he'll give you 'permission' to move on to something a bit more substantial, although still not solids.

The band will relieve hunger...*after* you get enough fills to put enough pressure on the vagus nerves which tell the stomach to quit producing ghrelin, the hunger hormone. For the time being, you're just going to have to be patient.

If you're hungry, then eat...but eat the foods you're allowed to eat.

You are still in the healing stages and right now is not the time to worry about weight loss. Let your body heal. With that being said, please don't sabatoge your band but more imporantly don't sabatoge all the hard work you have put into your journey already. As a quanity/binge eater myself, I know all to well the temptation of "let's see if this will be okay" or "let's see if I can handle eating this". I was the perfect pre-op and post-op diet patient, nothing off my nutrient plan passed my lips, until I was back to regular foods. Then started testing the waters, and the "sliders" , however I realized that I was sabatoging everything I already accomplished. It's easy to get off the wagon, and it's harder to stay on it when you know there are foods that you can get away with. As far as diet sodas go... I was told they can stretch the pouch..... they only time I have one anymore is if they are FLAT. FLAT FLAT!!!!!!

I agree with Juliana1.

It's about will power. Though some people experience the vagas nerve deadening this is not something you want. It can cause fainting, blood pressure drops, and many more issues. I posted elsewhere on the board why they deliberately try to avoid the vagas nerve. That one nerve branches out and controls the output from every one of your internal organs and so much more.

You must make the willful decision to eat better. To eat less. To move more.

You'll have bad days where you eat too much.

It's up to you to make the realization that you are 100% in charge. The band is just a tool to reduce the amount of food you can contain at any given time. That's it.

So if you eat too much and realise it - and you will learn to realise it. Then make a point to cut back on the next couple of meals to a very conscious amount of food or a Protein shake. Something small. And if you need to, weigh yourself daily, doctors don't suggest it but if you see that scale going up you'll learn to make better decisions to avoid seeing a higher number next time.

Do what Juliana said and eat high Protein Snacks - oatmeal is awesome for this as it's a complete protein and complex carbs and will keep you full for around 4-5 hours.

Take it one day at a time. Track everything you can. When you see it written down you won't make some of the decisions you would have made otherwise.

You'll get there, but you need to take responsibility. The band will do absolutely nothing for you unless you change your behaviors.

Thanks to those who gave me constructive criticism. I really hate seeing so many negative replies to people who come here admitting they had a slip in their eating. After all, none of us would be here in the first place if our eating habits were perfect, right?

I'm back on my Clear liquids. I know this is all about willpower, I just thought the band would help by relieving some of that hunger. Hopefully, I'll get adjusted to it soon.

Oh, and looking at a lap band surgery really helped me motivate myself back onto liquids. Thanks for that suggestion, Basimah. =)

If it makes you feel better, I was allowed to start on "mushies by day 3. When I went in for my post op appt. (7 or 10 days, can't remember exacty) I was cleared to start "regular food." First, soft type foods (but foods you chew) and then everything else as long as each stage was tolerated well. If you didn't experience any pain or discomfort, chances are you are fine. I certainly would try to get back on track and stay there, which is sounds like you have :) Sorry you are dealing with the hungries so soon. I seemed to have had a "honeymoon" period where food (rather the lack thereof) didn't get to me. Then it really kicked in and I was like, "holy crap, this is just like a diet!" This is the phase we all affectionately refer to as "bandster hell." Some are fortunate to avoid it, but most aren't. I am now pretty restricted, but honestly it wasn't until my 4th fill when I really felt different. You just have to grin and bear it until you get there. As far as the vegas nerve stuff, my doctor told me that is a "theory" and possibly can happen with the band, but that is not actually how the band is designed to work. It is designed to give you a smaller stomach pouch, so that when you fill the new small pouch, the food gets close to the "full receptors" which are located at the top of the stomach. However, your new "full" feeling is not the same as the old full feeling. That perhaps has been the hardest thing to get used to with the band. Believe me it's well worth it!

Glad to hear you are back to following your doctor's orders.

The reason we are put on our post-op diets is because our stomachs are stitched over the band and our doctors feel that his or her prescribed diet is the best for healing for the particular procedure used. They don't want the stomach grinding on solid foods until they feel it is ready to do so. To start on solids earlier puts the stitches at risk, along with your band.

During my clear liquids stage, I was ready to eat my dog, luckily for him he could move faster than I could.